Garlands Shooting ground

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hotshot100

Does any one on the forum go to the Thursday evening shoots at Garlands? If so what are they like.

I'm staying in Staffordshire for a few days next week and wondered if it's worth going. What's the food like?

Thanks.

I have shot there, many years ago, but not in the evening. Don't know what it's like up there these days but it used to be a great place to shoot.

I have shot there, many years ago, but not in the evening. Don't know what it's like up there these days but it used to be a great place to shoot.
I shot there probably 20 years ago but wondered what it's like nowadays.

If you haven't been for 20 years you will really notice a difference in the grounds which are a little run down compared with how they used to be. Shame really as it used to be a premier standard ground. The gun racks are also a lot less well stocked but they carry a huge range of cartridges. Usual hot food and drinks available.

You can shoot sporting, skeet, OT, UT, DTL etc on a thursday evening and if the weather is good there is usually a good turn out. If you want to shoot OT or UT best to phone beforehand so they can set it up. Might even go myself this week for a bit of OT.

DT

Last edited by a moderator:
If you haven't been for 20 years you will really notice a difference in the grounds which are a little run down compared with how they used to be. Shame really as it used to be a premier standard ground. The gun racks are also a lot less well stocked but they carry a huge range of cartridges. Usual hot food and drinks available.

You can shoot sporting, skeet, OT, UT, DTL etc on a thursday evening and if the weather is good there is usually a good turn out. If you want to shoot OT or UT best to phone beforehand so they can set it up. Might even go myself this week for a bit of OT.

DT
Thanks DT I won't be up there until next week. It's such a pity to see so many of our grounds becoming run down.

I don't know why this has happened at Garlands but very often just a good tidy up is all it needs. One of my pet hates is overflowing bins that obviously haven't been emptied for weeks or in some cases months and empty cartridge cases all over the place. Both avoidable and very easily rectified.

Thanks DT I won't be up there until next week. It's such a pity to see so many of our grounds becoming run down.

I don't know why this has happened at Garlands but very often just a good tidy up is all it needs. One of my pet hates is overflowing bins that obviously haven't been emptied for weeks or in some cases months and empty cartridge cases all over the place. Both avoidable and very easily rectified.
The last time I went there was in 1999/2000, even then it didn't seem as good as it had been previously, just a little tatty I guess you could say. I don't even know if Bob Garland still owns the place, or even if he's still alive come to that! His son Jamie was a good OT shooter if I remember correctly.

The last time I went there was in 1999/2000, even then it didn't seem as good as it had been previously, just a little tatty I guess you could say. I don't even know if Bob Garland still owns the place, or even if he's still alive come to that! His son Jamie was a good OT shooter if I remember correctly.
I don't know who owns it now. I believe that it used to be Peter Boden's 'home ' ground. Looking at their website they seem to have diversified a lot into areas that are probably more profitable than the shooting ground so this probably is the reason for an apparent lack of investment in it.

I don't know who owns it now. I believe that it used to be Peter Boden's 'home ' ground. Looking at their website they seem to have diversified a lot into areas that are probably more profitable than the shooting ground so this probably is the reason for an apparent lack of investment in it.
Blimey!!! Peter Boden!!! Now there's a blast from the past, what a great trap shooter! Garlands was a great place to rub shoulders with guys like Peter Boden and others from the same era. I had lessons from Peter Croft up at Garlands, almost every time I went there a famous face would appear, it was that sort of place I guess. In those days I used to travel around a bit, however the cost of running about all over the place has become prohibitive, so these days I rarely travel more than 30 miles or so. A sign of the times!!!

I havent been myself yet but its quite local so want to give it a try.

Maxum off here shoots there.

Blimey!!! Peter Boden!!! Now there's a blast from the past, what a great trap shooter! Garlands was a great place to rub shoulders with guys like Peter Boden and others from the same era. I had lessons from Peter Croft up at Garlands, almost every time I went there a famous face would appear, it was that sort of place I guess. In those days I used to travel around a bit, however the cost of running about all over the place has become prohibitive, so these days I rarely travel more than 30 miles or so. A sign of the times!!!
Bob Garland still owns the place (still alive) but the business is run by his lad, Jamie. They have diversified a lot and don't run any comps now (except sporting which is run by a third party) due to lack of demand. They only have one UT and one OT layout now as the traps have been used for the sporting layouts.

Going back 25 years I used to shoot there regularly on a Thursday evening and it was packed. Quite often found myself shooting OT practise with Pete Boden, Ian Peel, Kevin Borley and the like.  

A shadow of it's former self you could say.

DT

Aye, indeed it was a fine place to shoot at. We used to travel down to Bob's on a Thursday evening from Barnsley when he did Reg DTL. The good old days.  If I remember correctly, Bob shot left handed like myself, I did a bit of ABT in times past.

Phil*

I have shot there a couple of times on Thurs eve's, first time a month ago second time a week later.If this had been my first introduction to shooting I would not be shooting now. The first week there were more no birds than a little, I gave them the benefit of the doubt as anyone can have a bad day. Went following week and it was worse.They also have someone buttoning for you and scoring, who pays more attention to texting on his phone than paying attention. The guys I went with said it is alwayus like this, but no were else open on a Thurs eve. I decided to vote with my feet and will not be going again.

Alan

Just to put things into context, yes Garlands may be run down, but it will not get any better by moaning about it and staying away. Have you mentioned your concerns? There's a young pikey from Gloucester who's now running the Sporting, it can't be too difficult if Paul Bailey can win something.

As for evening shooting around Staffordshire you have Hodnet, Tuesday's 4pm till dusk , Oakedge Wednesday's 3pm till dusk , Garlands Thursdays,

Doveridge Wednesdays, Cloudside Wednesdays , Thursdays & Fridays 5 till 8pm.

Peter Boden alive and well working just down the road at Express cartridges, Peter Croft , still cruising through life, fit as a fiddle. So life is still pretty good.

I havent been myself yet but its quite local so want to give it a try.

Maxum off here shoots there.
Yes I do

Hodnet starts their evening shooting tonight.

Oakedge start Wednesday evening shooting normally 5.30 pm till dusk on 17th April so a week tomorrow.

Garlands do Thursday evenings already 5 pm till 8 I think.

Roger when you come to stay if its after the 17 th then you could fish blithfield res and then shoot Oakedge on the way back as its only about 4 miles from the res.

If not then Hodnet on a Tuesday is deffo worth a shot.

Garlands is what it is I'm afraid. It's a practice night with kids as button pushers and can get quite busy in the summer. If you fancy a blast then they fit the bill and have a good size gun shop as well.

Steve Lovett does a reg sporting there once a month but uses all his own gear I believe so don't expect Steves kind of targets on a Thursday it's set for practice by the garlands staff.

Plenty of scope whichever night you want to shoot tues to Thursday.

Myself in the summer I try to get to Hodnet but Oakedge is my local so end up there most Wednesdays unless I'm fishing :))

Good shooting everyone

Daz.

nothing wrong with garlands,at the end of the day if you have the targets to shoot at,some good fluffy rabbits,and some refreshment what more can you want.

You realy have to look out for bad temperd gnomes from shropshire though if your venturing into this area of the country.  :pilot:

Lets get one thing straight I was not moaning about it. A question was asked I answered it. I did ask the people I went with if they had complained, they said several times, seems to go in one ear and out the other. So if people stay away they might just ask themselves why and do something about it. It is not a cheap sport and I for one will not tolerate bad service.If they want my money they will have to earn it. I will say the people in the shop/office were very friendly.

Regards Alan

Yes I do

Hodnet starts their evening shooting tonight.

Oakedge start Wednesday evening shooting normally 5.30 pm till dusk on 17th April so a week tomorrow.

Garlands do Thursday evenings already 5 pm till 8 I think.

Roger when you come to stay if its after the 17 th then you could fish blithfield res and then shoot Oakedge on the way back as its only about 4 miles from the res.

If not then Hodnet on a Tuesday is deffo worth a shot.

Garlands is what it is I'm afraid. It's a practice night with kids as button pushers and can get quite busy in the summer. If you fancy a blast then they fit the bill and have a good size gun shop as well.

Steve Lovett does a reg sporting there once a month but uses all his own gear I believe so don't expect Steves kind of targets on a Thursday it's set for practice by the garlands staff.

Plenty of scope whichever night you want to shoot tues to Thursday.

Myself in the summer I try to get to Hodnet but Oakedge is my local so end up there most Wednesdays unless I'm fishing :))

Good shooting everyone

Daz.
I'm driving up on Tuesday so might try to get over to Hodnet if I'm not too knackered.

Latest posts

Back