Who would you recommend and why ?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Southern

I have a few days off next week and plan to visit a shooting ground/shop to try and decide what new to me gun I want to buy.

Grounds with in reach of me are the following :

AGL
Sporting Targets
EJ Churchill
Ian Coley

And thats distance nearest first.

So, out these, who would you say will offer the best advice/service/price ?

I would add Barbury Shooting School to your list, from what I am told you are likely to get the best selection and price from them compared to the others on your list

Ah, I missed them off my list…..

Thanks for the reply.

I have a few days off next week and plan to visit a shooting ground/shop to try and decide what new to me gun I want to buy.

AGL
Sporting Targets
EJ Churchill
Ian Coley

I have no experience of the first three on your list, Coleys which I’ve bought from previously has changed a lot in last few years, Barbury ( as mentioned by MrJonz ) I can recommend. Do ring in advance they are most accommodating with demo guns, very decent cafe too.

Thanks all.

I should mention that I have emailed all the grounds above, and have replies from all except AGL, which is my nearest, but I guess they don’t want my money…..

Im thinking Churchills and Barbury based on their responses…

Thanks all.

I should mention that I have emailed all the grounds above, and have replies from all except AGL, which is my nearest, but I guess they don’t want my money…..

Im thinking Churchills and Barbury based on their responses…
In defence of AGL today they were hosting the National InterCounties English Sporting, so may have been a bit / tad busy, there is also much to be said of dealing locally with such a major purchase

In defence of AGL today they were hosting the National InterCounties English Sporting, so may have been a bit / tad busy, there is also much to be said of dealing locally with such a major purchase
A valid point well made….

Tbf, I was a member of Broomhills and bought my Silver Pig from them…

I can second barbury just bought a caesar guerini invictus from them, emailed them before hand and they had a invictus waiting for me to try and a good trade in on a couple of semi autos that I don't use 👍

AGL
Sporting Targets
EJ Churchill
Ian Coley

100% Barbury. The Chaps in the gun shop will help and advise without being at all pushy. You can also try any demo/pre-owned gun.

Great targets and a superb cafe!

I haven't brought from any of them but Coley's selection is very wide with more than one of the common makes/models. Coley's probably have 3 to 4 times the number of guns as Sporting Targets.

As a general rule the further North you go, the better deal you will get. I stopped looking at EJ Churchill's offerings very quickly when comparing prices to the Midlands.

I haven't brought from any of them but Coley's selection is very wide with more than one of the common makes/models. Coley's probably have 3 to 4 times the number of guns as Sporting Targets.

As a general rule the further North you go, the better deal you will get. I stopped looking at EJ Churchill's offerings very quickly when comparing prices to the Midlands.
Haha, yes, I am well aware EJC is a “premium” offering, but it’s only just over an hour from me, and a delight to shoot….

Coley is nearly 2 hours and Barbury about 1.45

Last edited:
Haha, yes, I am well aware EJC is a “premium” offering, but it’s only just over an hour from me, and a delight to shoot….

Coley is nearly 2 hours and Burbury about 1.45
Also Emmett and Stone. 10 mins from ejc. Can likely take and try.

Also Emmett and Stone. 10 mins from ejc. Can likely take and try.

Thanks, I really want to try a few guns at the same venue, so a ground makes more sense.

My local shop, R&K will let me take and try if required.

I think Im down to about 3 guns now.

687EELL
DT10 possibly
Browning Ultra XS Pro for interest
Maybe a Guerini, I dont know.

I think Im a Beretta man though.

Thanks, I really want to try a few guns at the same venue, so a ground makes more sense.

My local shop, R&K will let me take and try if required.

I think Im down to about 3 guns now.

687EELL
DT10 possibly
Browning Ultra XS Pro for interest
Maybe a Guerini, I dont know.

I think Im a Beretta man though.
The 687 is a bit of an odd one out in that list. More of a game gun and IMO not as suited to clay shooting. If you want a beretta then It would. Come down to fit of the 684 and DT and as the DT is an older gun it's overall condition of it. (I'd rather have a newer 684 than a tatty DT)
Assuming the Browning as an XS will be adjustable it may offer more flexibility in the area of fit than a non adjustable 684 or DT. Barrel length also need to be considered.
The same goes for the CGs.

A 687 EELL is a Silver Pigeon in a fur coat . it will handle a little differently as the side plates will add a little extra weight between the hands . Nice wood and machine engraved pheasant are pleasing to own but at 3 times the price of a standard gun Also if it is a game gun it will be a a little too light for a serious clay gun , and typically lower in the comb than a sporting clays gun . It is a nice gun , just depends how serious you want to be . If you get a chance shoot it back to back with the XS Pro which had been used to great effect to win World championships .

I know the EELL is an aesthetic upgrade rather than a modern upgrade, its just a gun Ive lusted over for a while....plus Ive been shooting a Silver Pig for years, so it should feel natural....

I had a bad experience with a new B425 years ago and thats put me off Browning, but the XS does warrant a look I think.

694 seems to be the ideal spec, in terms of current thinking in clay sporters, but the 692 isnt that far behind, and yes, Im aware of their issues. I swung both in a gunshop, and felt the '92 actually came tot he shoulder nicer, buts let see on the grounds....

I have tonight emailed Barbury end EJC for visits this week, so lets see what happens.

Indeed they are nice guns , I’ve been looking at them in 12g and Miroku MK11 and Browning Heritage Hunter game guns which are essentially the Miroku take on the same theme , posh wood and engraving . Then a few weeks ago a friend bought a brand new 725 Hunter U.K. with a nice prince of Wales Grip , £2200 .. lovely thing handles like a dream

Off to Barbury in the morning and looking forward to it.

Slightly disappointing that I have still not heard anything from AGL tho…..

Latest posts

Back