Cone height

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A Graco device - and I assume we’re talking what I know as a Jones adjuster that enables the stock-pad to move in any direction from the stock itself- is the absolute last thing a beginner should be getting involved with, particularly if they are setting it up without knowledgeable guidance. These devices enable somebody who is standing completely wrongly (and holding the gun badly) to align the rib with the eye, but it does nobody a favour. The shooter is then still going to be stood wrongly and be using a gun that doesn’t even encourage them to sort it out. So recoil and other issues with gun fit just won’t get sorted. Of course, they are useful to somebody who is experienced, doing everything correctly and needs a fine tune, but not for beginners IMO. And yes, absolutely, this can only be sorted by an in-person session.

Will. Normally, I would agree, but in this case, I respectfully disagree and I would like to explain why if may?

I posted a link on here to a comprehensive gunfit article on my web. site. The article was written by me based on my knowledge accrued by fitting shotguns professionally for over 40 years for many Olympians, World Champions and Masterclass shooters. Most find that it helps.

In this case, the OP said he had "already read the article." The article explains how to stand, why perfecting your mount is important before attempting to fit the shotgun so in that respect, we are both on the same page. I mistakenly thought that by reading the article, the OP would have perfected his mount and the butt of the gun was still an inch above his shoulder and in that case, the Graco (or Jones) would have been an advantage.

Will. Normally, I would agree, but in this case, I respectfully disagree and I would like to explain why if may?

I posted a link on here to a comprehensive gunfit article on my web. site. The article was written by me based on my knowledge accrued by fitting shotguns professionally for over 40 years for many Olympians, World Champions and Masterclass shooters. Most find that it helps.

In this case, the OP said he had "already read the article." The article explains how to stand, why perfecting your mount is important before attempting to fit the shotgun so in that respect, we are both on the same page. I mistakenly thought that by reading the article, the OP would have perfected his mount and the butt of the gun was still an inch above his shoulder and in that case, the Graco (or Jones) would have been an advantage.
I’m going to assume your article is all good for the sake of argument. But no chance will anybody stand and hold correctly after just reading an article. IIRC it took me over a year to do it when I started. (Would have been quicker if I had sought a coach to work on it with me but I was a bit pig headed). Knowing in theory what to do and actually getting habitually comfortable doing so are very different things.

Last edited:
Will. Once again, I agree 100%. There are pictures in the article and I believe it is a comprehensive as anyone will get to perfect their gun mount by reading an article. When you get a minute, please read it and see if it makes sense to you?

I know Mike Yardley who wrote "Gunfitting, the Quest for Perfection" quite well, (but have not seen him for years) in fact he stayed with me here in Dallas when he did the coverage of the Kennedy assassination. I also advised Rollin Oswald here in the US when he wrote "Stockfitters Bible", there is a credit to me in that book. Best regards.

Latest posts

Back