free speech

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually, (and I admit to some lovely rioja here..) I did once read an article that suggested that 'the happiest we have ever been was 1976'. (Sorry Ed, you missed some great stuff.. ) The premise was that we had a great balance between modern benefits (national health, not too many plagues, economic reality reasonable, great weather) but nobody had the anxiety of 'not having' a great car (there weren't any) or not having a plasma TV, American fridge, super computer etc..

Fantastically it was the era when motor racing was dangerous and sex was safe. It is reversed now..

Kids played outside - or if inside on board games.

You don't miss what isn't there..

Last edited by a moderator:
1976 didn't we have a big drought that year?
No. But then again, I lived in the lake district andthe world didn't exist beyond Carlisle ( the moota hotel) Lancaster(Garstang & district GC) Both Grounds lost a long time ago. I was dragged there by my dad to be totally bored out of my skin watching people as somebody has said in another post, breaking pottery. Unfortunately one day he let me have a go and have ended up reading this..

Last edited by a moderator:
Bad year for still water fishing in Scotland  the reservoirs were like goldfish bowls :)

Bad year for still water fishing in Scotland  the reservoirs were like goldfish bowls :)
Fantastic year for lake fishing in the south. Our local 35 acre lake was reduced to a large pond. You could have walked across it on the backs of fish, they were so concentrated. Couldn't fail to catch!  :biggrin:

Ha Ha Ha topdog ! Same in many parts of Scotland but the closed the waters and some of the rivers were down to the bare bones.

I am not sure here what poor old Gene has actually done wrong??
Matt. I would like to complain about Tinkers remarks. They are insulting and hurtful and I am very upset and distressed.
I would like to point out, that I am neither poor, or old.

Oh, hang on. Mrs H says I am both and a lot more besides.
Complaint withdrawn. I'll get back in my box. ;-)

Back