Fiocchi Stockist North West

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hamster how can you say there is no proof behind graphs, do people make things up, a graph is a depiction of results from tests that make it easier to view the results.
I should rephrase that admittedly. Graphs are of course very useful, your original post showed a factual reference to pellet sizes in mm etc, BUT there is no PROOF that 2.2mm pellets run out of puff at XYZ range, that is very much conjecture and bull I'm afraid.

There are indeed all sorts of references and quotes about this subject many of which will have you know that English 8's aren't up to anything beyond 35 yards :.: :.: , many emanating from the US where 2.4mm is routinely used even for Sporting, but it IS BULL as we know. So when I say proof I mean show me a verifiable real world test anywhere in the world that has shown 2.2mm pellet from a mid to fast shell won't break an edge on clay at well over 40 yards and I'll take you out and show you different.

Writing down stuff and plotting them on a graph may impress some but not all of us. Real life often tells a different story.

There is only one way to know for sure, calculate the terminal velocity of 2.2mm/2.3mm pellets at say 55 yards or whatever, then design a rig where a single pellet is propelled at the rim of a spinning clay (this can be done inside a room) and note the results. I maintain that there won't be a ciggy papers worth of difference between the two BUT there will be in probability of a strike in the first place owing to the 45 pellet advantage of the smaller shot.

Really it all comes down to buy what you want from what is available. If you have any weird requests and they are not readily available then that should tell you why.

Standard cartridges suit most people and there is certainly enough choice out there.

As already said earlier cartridges can be made to order and that facility has been around for years, so if a particular make up of cartridge is the one that you cannot possibly live without....then order it and pay the price.......otherwise resign yourself to using what is available for all (which is a reflection of what is actually want by all).

I think that not many would be able to tell the difference between a particular size and the next size to it (up or down)..........but many can tell the difference in speeds.

I agree absolutely Glen, distance judgement is not easy as different backgrounds and clay size perceptions can give varied results even if you're generally good at it.

A small question then, if you don't believe fewer pellets (as in 6.5's in 1oz) are a bad thing in terms of pattern density, why not just use those all the way through the round?

A certain Doc Andrew from here has published a book on patterns and reckons a single small pellet will lead to a break most of the time. I happen to agree based on experience.
The reason I would use a 6.5 is it is a bigger pellet and has more breaking power IMO for longer edge on slow stuff.

My theory is I only need one pellet to hit that clay and it will probably be more likely to break than an 8.

However on the closer stuff I have no worries with shooting the smaller pellet sizes out to 40yds even if they show me some face the more pellets the better. I would quite happily shoot 8's and even 9's through my tightly choked gun. I do tend to use 7.5's as my supplier tends to stock more 7.5 choices than 8's and to be honest it does not bother me enough but I do believe the more pellets the better for stuff that is not nasty.

Like I said on a round of Fitasc I may use 6.5's max 5-10 times depending on the targets thrown of the shoot in some cases I have used none. In sporting generally less.

In fitasc you may have that one or two stonkers whereby it's your bonus so in my head and what I believe has to be right to make sure I have given everything I think possible to try to get it! They could be the difference in getting a draw or not.

You talk about real life were you not a few months back telling everyone how a shot gun is not effective over 60yards? Or have i got my wires crossed? Was that based on real life or something you heard???

Sounds to me if GD told you he was using 9.5's at everything you would believe him! :D :D :D

Really it all comes down to buy what you want from what is available. If you have any weird requests and they are not readily available then that should tell you why.

Standard cartridges suit most people and there is certainly enough choice out there.

As already said earlier cartridges can be made to order and that facility has been around for years, so if a particular make up of cartridge is the one that you cannot possibly live without....then order it and pay the price.......otherwise resign yourself to using what is available for all (which is a reflection of what is actually want by all).

I think that not many would be able to tell the difference between a particular size and the next size to it (up or down)..........but many can tell the difference in speeds.
Don't start that again! Notice the difference in speeds!!! LMFAO!!! Yeah if they are damp! .!!!!

The only time I notice speeds was when using those poof shells to stop noise!

Those who say they have to change leads because one shell is faster by 0001fps are talking crap!

What is leeeeeeeeead Glen.

Is that that thing that they teach beginners?

being a tarpie you just pull the trigger and pray?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

I pray a lot when shooting as you well know......that and fingers crossed in my mind .......

Just waiting for God who is bringing my dog back today and must remember to get a special letter off her. She is giving a lesson as a prize for the memorial shoot at Richards place.

Last edited:
You talk about real life were you not a few months back telling everyone how a shot gun is not effective over 60yards? Or have i got my wires crossed? Was that based on real life or something you heard???

Sounds to me if GD told you he was using 9.5's at everything you would believe him! :D :D :D
I think you may have got things mixed up, I believe beyond 60 or so yards things become very very marginal on game and live stuff, I also believe clays are harder to break consistently the further you push things, simply because there comes a point where even single strikes become random.

I believe what works for the best shooters in the world is likely to work for the rest. :)

You are right Hammy. Pattern a really good cartridge through a bit of choke at 50 yards and you will wonder how you ever break anything.. Seems to work in practice, but avoid the mental picture of the pattern test..

You are right Hammy. Pattern a really good cartridge through a bit of choke at 50 yards and you will wonder how you ever break anything.. Seems to work in practice, but avoid the mental picture of the pattern test..
Shooting at a pattern plate is only good for seeing how high your shot is, not all pellets strike at the same time anyway. I do not think I have ever shot at a pattern plate speciffically in my life for the very reason Clever states above. Try shooting a cartridge box at 80 paces and see how many pellets you put in it! .............scary stuff! .!

I think you may have got things mixed up, I believe beyond 60 or so yards things become very very marginal on game and live stuff, I also believe clays are harder to break consistently the further you push things, simply because there comes a point where even single strikes become random.

I believe what works for the best shooters in the world is likely to work for the rest. :)
Your just not good enough! :D :D :D

Pattern plates don't move.......
In RELATIVE MEANINGFUL terms, neither do clays. The speed of a passing shot string is SO much faster than a clay that in effect you are shooting with a flat pattern as seen on the plate. If that is what you meant..

CSC3

Last edited by a moderator:
:D :D :D :D :D

Tell them all about the bicycle test Glen and the wind in card........

They should have that as a side game at our shoots.....a great pool comp!!

Last edited:
Yep out in Portugal at a helice comp they had the old bicycle wheel and a piece of card with a clay drawn out this was wheeled out to 90metres and stood stationary, you had one shot same shell everytime think it was 24gram 7.5 provided on the stand. Correct me if I am wrong Nicola.

Most pellets to hit the card wins...............Anybody guess how many it was?

I know a serious amount of shots were taken at this! I had a go! Just the one and I had 4 pellet hits!!!

Tobi if you started at the beginning of the thread you would have your answer in the first post.

Are you bored with the thread or wanting to buy in the NW for some reason......

Latest posts

Back