Fiocchi Stockist North West

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What are you paying for Superbs Hamster?
I switched over to these when Express Super went over £100 :smile: :eek: and Superbs were £95 :cool: , they've crept up and up of course and last thou cost me £200 :yell: :yell: . I will find summat for the £170 mark that'll do.

I've just had a call from my suppliers confirming that FBlue's are only available in 2.4mm Italian 7.5's :frown: , that means just about 100 less pellets compared to 8's :yell: . A very odd oversight on the makers side if you ask me.

Yes that is a bit odd. Probably a trap based decision.

I use Clever 8's, which are 7.5 UK / 2,3mm. Plenty big enough pellets for almost all clays.

The 7.5 Clever T3 (UK 7) pattern so tighly they are a disadvantage for me on half the course through a half choke. The 8,s are great.

CSC3

The 7.5 Clever T3 (UK 7) pattern so tighly they are a disadvantage for me on half the course through a half choke. The 8,s are great.

CSC3
Do you carry both? What one of the two would you use on a 40yd edge on crosser if you had both?

FITASC last Sunday, got slagged for changing chokes and carrying 8's at fitasc by 2 old coots with fixed 3/4 and full. Last pacour of the day, two 15yd rabbits then 35yd crosser and low, going away teal. Screwed out 1/2 chokes and screwed in skeet & cylinder, 8,s for the rabbits, T3 7's for the other two 17/20.......missed a bouncing bunny, 1 crosser and shot the simo crosser/teal the wrong way round, teal hit a tree a split second before I could shoot it, brain fart. The two old coots shot 11 & 15........all they could say was the rabbits were too close, they had no pattern at 15yds!!!

When I started I shot Alphamax out my auto, everyone knew I was there thats for sure.

Chiefy

Do you carry both? What one of the two would you use on a 40yd edge on crosser if you had both?
I used to carry both, for that reason and agree it makes sense, physically. However, I found that the 8s would break it everytime (if I was on target). What happened is that because I only ever stuck in the 7.5 T3 for extreme targets; my hit rate wasn't good with them, so psychologically I associated them with missing! T2 8's for it all now, except for some very close stuff, where I use something else.

As we have all found, most cartridges will break most things. The head is MORE important.

CSC3

Yes that is a bit odd. Probably a trap based decision.

CSC3
Not sure if it is an unintentional oversight; call me cynical but why is it that every time a maker brings out a good, economical shell there is something not quite right with it!!

Take the English Sporter for instance, good shell but only available in 7.5's. not 8's which 50% of Sporting shooters use, and they are too punchy as well for no good reason!!

The FBlue sounds like a winner but I'd be damned if I'd trade 100 pellets per shot; 7's are a game shot, best for pigeon and partridge, even 8's break trap targets all day and 7.5's most definitely would so why load 7's?

I have an unhealthy interest in this subject and would be very interested in BenH's view point and why he thinks 7's and 8 should be carried together. If GD can break everything with 7.5's then why loose pellet count carrying 6.5's?

CleverSC3 is bang on the money with his take, if you carry big shot for long birds, by definition you will miss more often using them and psyche yourself out anyway. I shoot almost everything with 8's but carry a few 7.5's for going away birds, nowadays not because I believe they best 8's but because I use them as part of my mental routine and an aid in pacing myself.

I would love to spend a day with some boys like Ed, Glen etc testing long crossers and teal with different sizes. I have a sneaking suspicion 8's will win out. It's like this: 45 extra pellets in 8 compared to 7.5, the latter is 4.5% bigger so would arguably carry a minuscule amount more energy at 50 yards. First we have to find out if that will have a meaningful impact on whether an edge on clay will succumb given the other dozen or so factors, even if the answer is yes we are left with the reality that it has less chance to hit the thing in the first place. In the marginal scenario of a single strike, I'd rather have a tiny chance of a break (using 8's) than none (using 7.5's) .

Lets not get into the other argument of misshaped shot etc which we're told saps velocity and thus energy. The 8's have more probability of propelling true undamaged shot since a greater number of those are on the outside close to the barrel walls protecting the main bulk?!

Biodegradable clays in Italy, harder than normal clays.........so I'm told.
Yes but they're not in Rome now, if they market shells here intended for sporting shooters then 7's are an odd/wrong choice.

Personally I carry 7s and 8s (I like 9s too but cant be doing with carrying 3 shot sizes). On the long stuff I do feel the 7s break the birds harder and have a bit more reach for the really long stuff, or if shooting at flash clays. 8s will kill a long way off I know, but I prefer the 7s for the bigger stuff. Part of my routine if anything but I like the breaks so stick with it...

Yes but they're not in Rome now, if they market shells here intended for sporting shooters then 7's are an odd/wrong choice.
The UK sporting shooter is a very small part of Fiocchi's market!!!

Have you never seen long birds "dusted" or moved in the air but not broken? That's why some people carry 7's or even 6 1/2's..........

I have an unhealthy interest in this subject and would be very interested in BenH's view point and why he thinks 7's and 8 should be carried together. If GD can break everything with 7.5's then why loose pellet count carrying 6.5's?

CleverSC3 is bang on the money with his take, if you carry big shot for long birds, by definition you will miss more often using them and psyche yourself out anyway. I shoot almost everything with 8's but carry a few 7.5's for going away birds, nowadays not because I believe they best 8's but because I use them as part of my mental routine and an aid in pacing myself.

I would love to spend a day with some boys like Ed, Glen etc testing long crossers and teal with different sizes. I have a sneaking suspicion 8's will win out. It's like this: 45 extra pellets in 8 compared to 7.5, the latter is 4.5% bigger so would arguably carry a minuscule amount more energy at 50 yards. First we have to find out if that will have a meaningful impact on whether an edge on clay will succumb given the other dozen or so factors, even if the answer is yes we are left with the reality that it has less chance to hit the thing in the first place. In the marginal scenario of a single strike, I'd rather have a tiny chance of a break (using 8's) than none (using 7.5's) .

Lets not get into the other argument of misshaped shot etc which we're told saps velocity and thus energy. The 8's have more probability of propelling true undamaged shot since a greater number of those are on the outside close to the barrel walls protecting the main bulk?!
The only reason I carry a few 6.5's and 7's is purely mental and depending on the type of round I may not use any. Whilst I accept when your on the money, even something rangey and under power can be broken with a 9. Edge on stuff at a bit of range has to have a 7.5 minimum for me.

The only thing i think of is if that 1 big pellet does hit it then it will more than likely break it would the odd one 8 sized pellet break a long rangey target like the odd 6 or 7 would? I am not so sure? You only have to look at the striking power that a larger pellet has on pigeons when taking on longer shots to see that.

Recently I was shooting the 24gram 7.5 Compack shell from victory and for an all rounder it is a great shell. Clays and pigeon really hate them.

Hammy is right on pellet count I have always said the more you can get and get away with in shot size has to be better in my book. That is exactly why I am using a few Steel 9's out here not due to choice but more pellets on the closer stuff has got to help only if it is in my head!

Hammy,

Have a wee look at this link http://www.hullcartr...n/sovereign.cfm

scroll to the bottom of it, now hover your cursor over the circle on the graph at 50m,it shows the latent energy and speed still in a pellet of a given size at that distance,it will give you an idea why some prefer the larget pellet for further birds.

Now I hope I am right in thinking Hammy is meaning Italian sizes compared to the equivalent Brittish size, I have more faith in the Fiocchi 8's than the Fiocchi Gold Trap 7 1/2s, not many Fiocchi 8's around so what do I do know ?

Chiefy,,,,,, :.:

Last edited by a moderator:
All about the energy and striking power! Targets at range under speed are no issue with smaller pellet sizes and don't worry me one bit.

Throw a long teal or an edge on slow crosser and I am using 7.5's minimum depending on my mind set the 6.5's may have to make an appearance. Mind you in Fitasc Sporting I have done this more than in English Sporting.

Back