Fiocchi Stockist North West

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mmmm more difficult that, I have had five numbers on the Euro and know somebody that had six the same day.

Chiefy

The UK sporting shooter is a very small part of Fiocchi's market!!!

Have you never seen long birds "dusted" or moved in the air but not broken? That's why some people carry 7's or even 6 1/2's..........
They're selling into this market, that's what matters, when in Rome and all that. If they can't be bothered to get the recipe right then what's the point?

In the old days I used to see the odd dusted clay, you could occasionally even hear strikes but in all honesty this simply isn't the case anymore. Whether this is due to better clay manufacturing techniques I couldn't say but clays generally shatter now and as has been mentioned even 9's give awesome breaks at some silly ranges.

Hammy,

Have a wee look at this link http://www.hullcartr...n/sovereign.cfm

scroll to the bottom of it, now hover your cursor over the circle on the graph at 50m,it shows the latent energy and speed still in a pellet of a given size at that distance,it will give you an idea why some prefer the larget pellet for further birds.

Now I hope I am right in thinking Hammy is meaning Italian sizes compared to the equivalent Brittish size, I have more faith in the Fiocchi 8's than the Fiocchi Gold Trap 7 1/2s, not many Fiocchi 8's around so what do I do know ?

Chiefy,,,,,, :.:
I am sure it's perfectly possible to calculate the latent KE for each different shot size, in theory anyway, but there is so much more to it than that. What about the varying antimony content (which alters specific individual pellet weight), or weather conditions or whether an individual pellet is perfectly round to begin with.

Then comes the really arbitrary stuff like who the hell decided what ft lbs is needed or capable of a break at what range and at what target orientation and what temperature and at what target spin etc etc. The trouble with graphs is there is no proof behind them, I'm certainly not aware of any reliable tests having ever been done on this subject even in the US. The only way you could do it is to design a rig capable of reliably subjecting a spinning target to single strikes from different pellet sizes at different ranges.

If GD uses bigger shot than 7.5's (on a regular basis) then why not just use that same bigger shot all the time? Surely if the rangy birds don't ever escape his pattern spread they sure as hell won't up closer!

My argument is this: there is no proof 8's break less reliably than 7.5's, I'm talking proof not rhetorical evidence, but there is proof that there are more 8's than 7.5's in a given shell.

So what about the Black Gold 6 1/2's he uses........
I believe he uses BG 5's for pigeon, he used those for the 100 odd yard teal thing but on video he says he firmly believes if it can't be broken with 1oz of White Gold 7.5's then it can't be broken. I think he means there is nothing in everyday stuff we shoot that 7.5's won't break.

I believe he uses BG 5's for pigeon, he used those for the 100 odd yard teal thing but on video he says he firmly believes if it can't be broken with 1oz of White Gold 7.5's then it can't be broken. I think he means there is nothing in everyday stuff we shoot that 7.5's won't break.
Sorry but who cares what he uses you could give him 21 grams and he would still kick 90% of the peoples arses on here! Not really the peson to use as an example.

If he had a 60yard plus edge on standard crossing bet he would be putting in a bigger shot size!!! Guarenteed!

Bullsh*t Hamster!!! That video is how many years old???
I honestly don't know, certainly have no idea as to the age of the video. Whenever he's been asked about equipment he says F/F and 7.5's. What people seem to be forgetting is that it's all very well using bigger shot but you will loose pattern density, and that you can't afford to do at very long range.

The only plausible argument I can see for upping the shot size at distance is IF they hold a tighter pattern. I have no proof or data but sometimes use 7.5's on distant loopers because I feel they ride the wind better.

Last edited by a moderator:
The only plausible argument I can see for upping the shot size at distance is IF they hold a tighter pattern. I have no proof or data but sometimes use 7.5's on distant loopers because I feel they ride the wind better.
7's ride it better again, guess what, yes that's right 6.5's even better again!!! There's a very good shot up here, Stephen Cochrane, shot a FITASC with him on a windy, rainy day in May, there was a 50+yd floaty edge on 1/4ing away in blustery conditions, he nailed it every time with 1/2 choke and Black Gold 6.5's, others broke it some of the time, he NAILED it every time. Pattern density, no, retained energy........and bloody good shooting!!!

Yep my 6.5's would come out for that, you only need 1 or 2 pellets and it will break it not so sure with an 8 though.

I am always wary of people when they quote distances though as it is an eye opener how people judge them. If you took 10 people off the forum and asked them to right down the distance of the same clay on a piece of paper we would get some nice results! :wink: :wink:

I agree absolutely Glen, distance judgement is not easy as different backgrounds and clay size perceptions can give varied results even if you're generally good at it.

A small question then, if you don't believe fewer pellets (as in 6.5's in 1oz) are a bad thing in terms of pattern density, why not just use those all the way through the round?

A certain Doc Andrew from here has published a book on patterns and reckons a single small pellet will lead to a break most of the time. I happen to agree based on experience.

Last edited by a moderator:
No cartridges under 7.5 in my arsenal.

What ever targets I shoot they get 7.5, or 6.

P M S L Chiefy.

You just made me spill my coffee in bed.

I will have to get up now!!!!!

Latest posts

Back