English Open at Doveridge

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never mind all this warm air - bring on next year I'm gonna whoop all o your asses, be afraid, be very afraid the Growler is coming, gonna get all technicalled up and practice like a monster, yup gonna dust em all, but first things first, got to eat my nice hospital brekkie, back soon when the drugs wear off! Gdog.
I want some of what you are having...

"Well written ED". I noticed Rosie's score that was really well shot!!!!!!! I didn't shoot the English but would of loved to,

Well it's over and no doubt many of us are licking our wounds and thinking what was that all about then?

The English Open at Doveridge was a very tough shoot, badly effected by the weather, but thankfully each day was the same for everyone.

Steve Bramley is to be congratulated on setting a very tough layout that really did sort us all out, in my opinion it is testament to the allround ability of the Winner and second placed people all of who are regularly in the results no matter where the competition is held. Maybe because of the weekly scores being in the high 90's we had become complacent with our actual ability. I think it is fair to say that not one stand was impossible, but the pressure to perform well was relentless.

How many of you would welcome the chance to shoot that course again, and how many of you on reflection realise what you did wrong on each stand?

What I have taken away from this weekend is how healthy the state of English Sporting is, what a great bunch of friendly competitors we have in the UK, many smiling in the face of adversity, shaking their heads in true disbelief, but vowing not to give up and to improve, true bulldog British spirit, long may it continue. 

Steve Bramley...hmmm...needs to learn how to use the Met Office web site, I live 268 miles away and I knew on the Wednesday/Thursday that it was to be wet and windy Friday/Saturday/Sunday...it would have done no harm to bear that in mind when setting some of the 'badly wind affected targets''...would it?!?!

...and so much for everyone telling me "...the target quality in England is great, when they are at distance, they are never an edge on eyesight test, if not for all of its flight, at some point in its flight you will see plenty belly or face..." Oh well, getting so many skinny edge on clays on Friday can only 'toughen me up' for all the edge on stuff I see up here...

Yes, I'd have shot it again if I'd had the chance, I'm confident I'd have shot it better second time around, it would still have been a 'grind'...ill be more mentally prepared for the 'grind' next Major!!!

Best way I could describe that shoot was 15 relentless stands where any momentary laps in concentration, badly wind affected clay or lack on technical ability would be punish your score and torture your mind...you had to be on your A game to shoot within 10% below your average!!!

I had a great day in great company.

Friendly team a Doveridge.

But...

You can't please everyone.

I know where my errors are.

It wasn't the targets.

It was either me not concentrating or mis-reading the targets.

Or both.

I seem to remember a similar mix of emotions and reactions after Fauxdegla.

It's all experience to me and I relish the challenge.

The Hustler did not think much of it......according to Facebook. And he is a coach on here who has plenty of publicity with the masterclasses he runs on here. How could people go to a master class and not listen to his views on how a shoot is set up.

Then we have Ed, who thought is was a great course, and he is also a coach on here helping many many shooters.

So boys and girls.....you have to take out of a major what 'you' want to take out of it. It is all building blocks for the future, good targets, bad targets, good weather, bad weather, you are the one who change your style to suit the conditions as you see them....or not....as the case may be.

Something that did surprised me though was unresolved categories in the results sheet.

Loads of people did not return for their shoot off or 5 minutes of glory on the podium.....and their category was unresolved.... Just shows how shooting has changed.

At one time it was an honour to be in the shoot off at a 'title' event......and an even greater honour to be on the podium....

How thanks have changed................

Reading some of the posts here, you could be forgiven for thinking that this tournament wasn't in fact the English Open, and rather just some knocked-together 50 bird straw-baler, or the dollies and gimmes of a corporate/stag do layout.

The weather? Please. Get over it.

Tough targets? Heaven forfend! At the English Open? What were they thinking? 

Re the unresolved places - perhaps none of them thought that the score would stand the test of Sunday shooting and decided not to make the trip back possibly for nothing  - price of fuel and all that. 

I suspect that the only way that this particular problem will ever get resolved is a system where everybody shoots on the last day - i.e like the worlds or the ?EO where you qualified for a last day 50 targets.

I agree that it is a sad that the prize giving/shoot offs can be an anti climax - I have noticed that at regular registereds there are also fewer people around at the end - perhaps it is because there is much more transparency with prize money these days and people can pretty much rely on it being there next time they go back or get a cheque in the post.

JT

LSB, don't think it's tough targets that is concern, its more that too many of the targets could be and were affected by the at times very windy conditions.

It's expected to be tested, but when you get three pairs and none of these are presented the same due to said winds and this happened on most of the rotation there will of course be a grrrr moment of two.

Personally stands 12 and 13 did me, the rest a mixed bag and I will be the better for shooting this course, both as a shot and having watched a AAA shot up close mentally also.

Everyone that shot the course fri-sat will have their own opinions of the shoot and are these not better aired than kept bottled?

Edited spelling error(s)

Last edited by a moderator:
That is sporting for you :wink: you can get variation because of wind. Hence we all need the luck :smile:

Something that did surprised me though was unresolved categories in the results sheet.

Loads of people did not return for their shoot off or 5 minutes of glory on the podium.....and their category was unresolved.... Just shows how shooting has changed.

At one time it was an honour to be in the shoot off at a 'title' event......and an even greater honour to be on the podium....

How thanks have changed................
In the event of unresolved places why can't count back be used for example or the earlier shot dropped in the round determines the last place like a shoot off?  

If they can't be there for the shoot-off they can hardly complain how the result is determined!

Suuuuuuuuucks.......hmmmmm,.......is it is the rules......??????

If not.......it would take some form of politics to change it.......

Sssssssh don't mention that word...!

LSB, don't think it's tough targets that is concern, its more that too many of the targets could be and were affected by the at times very windy conditions.
Aye, but to be fair, that's the same, for every shooter, at any shoot you go to - whether a humble club-baler or an Open or major.

It's expected to be tested, but when you get three pairs and none of these are presented the same due to said winds and this happened on most of the rotation there will of course be a grrrr moment of two.
Again, aye, and the 'grrrrrs' perhaps understandable (I'm sure we've all been a tad miffed at targets we've missed when we think we should/could have nailed them); but this is the nature of English Sporting, and is common to every shoot - you're [i.e. every shooter is] subject not only to the elements, but also the vagaries of the targets (as these can't be metricated or set, as with, for example, OT).

Personally stands 12 and 13 did me, the rest a mixed bag and I will be the better for shooting this course, both as a shot and having watched a AAA shot up close mentally also.
So along with a testing shoot, you've also brought away something positive from the experience. Good man, you're lucky - I wish I could say the same about some of the shoots I've loused-up recently :D

Everyone that shot the course fri-sat will have their own opinions of the shoot and are these not better aired than kept bottled?
Venting's fine, but carping about the weather on any shoot (this is the UK, when all is said and done), when it's one of the most notably changeable aspects about living in these islands, is kind of redundant. Add to that that many who shot the event will make a habit of being dyed-in-the-wool members of the Reg Comp circuit, where they'll experience literally hundreds of different types of clays, then I can't see why they might expect anything different at an event such as the English Open.

Agree with LSB here - moaning about the weather affecting targets is a bit moot - its the UK, and it would be a crappy sport if it was indoors...

The only thing I'm going to blame for my poor score, is that I didn't shoot well enough - absolutely no criticism of the course, the targets, the ground, the weather - yep, it was windy - but it was just as windy for the guy in front of me that score more than me, and the guy behind me that scored less than me...

over 155 people shot 0 x 8 on stand 12...when the wind picked up they were VERY wind affected, one squad shooting on Saturday morning got the worst of the wind and all 6 in the squad blanked...48 shots, no clays broken...great target! ;)

over 155 people shot 0 x 8 on stand 12...when the wind picked up they were VERY wind affected, one squad shooting on Saturday morning got the worst of the wind and all 6 in the squad blanked...48 shots, no clays broken...great target! ;)
I would say that it's a poor target. Proves nothing when no one can hit it other than that it's possible to set a target that no one can hit. I've seen this before at other shoots demoralises the shooters and proves nought.

Latest posts

Back