English Open at Doveridge

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cheers will , shame your not going just to see a whole new array of targets if nothing else . I do think these shoots bring people together from all over the country who are used to shooting shoots of different standards and it's interesting to compare scores on a level playing field no matter how tricky it is

Steve

I have long said the they should not register these shoots. Fine, have a tough test, but don't include it in the normal reg scores.. The CPSA were baffled by the concept.

Why? its a stern test and if you are not up to it the score gets dropped. Its a major championship not an average massage!

Why? its a stern test and if you are not up to it the score gets dropped. Its a major championship not an average massage!
Fine, so remove it from the normal system. So much machismo bullsh*t in this sport. At least that's how people speak. Who means it..

91 by Adam was a ruddy good score in those conditions. Some card busting stands

Same here Steve, I think we were on the squad behind you! Thoroughly enjoyed the shoot only sh*t a 75 but happy with that! :)
Yes, I sh*t about 85 after I dropped 16 over the first 3 stands I shot.... :spiteful:

Last edited by a moderator:
Lets remember that this shoot is badly timed. Stupid actually. It will have everybody shooting right on the cusp of new classifications, meaning that all the rising stars of lower classes are realistically a class below where they should be. Idiotic timing and if scores are only on class levels, something is wrong..

As i said before, an overly tough shoot is a doddle to put on. It is probable that I am happy to say what many think but won't say themselves for fear of reproach.

I may be off the mark here (or it's the drugs) but is this not a major competition; what in earth would be the point in making it easy, surely the clays should be testing but hittable, the scores seem to indicate that, just my 10 penneth, would love to have been there, atb Growl

I may be off the mark here (or it's the drugs) but is this not a major competition; what in earth would be the point in making it easy, surely the clays should be testing but hittable, the scores seem to indicate that, just my 10 penneth, would love to have been there, atb Growl
Agreed, make it a toughie as its a major, but I think it should not be registered as it will be much firmer than a normal reg shoot (is all I'm saying). The Classic at EJC last year was as tough as anything I have ever shot. No problem. It wasn't registered..

Well - I've had a night to sleep on it - and if I could, I'd go back and shoot it again tomorrow... it WAS a tough shoot - but apart from the driven which I f***ed up - there wasn't one target I didn't hit once...  so it was all hittable, but once again - the excitement of a major got to me, and I didn't do the shoot justice.

I could trot out a bunch of excuses - the 2.5 hour drive, the early start, the wind, the drizzle - but really, I just didn't get going until the end... if I take the driven off the card I was 25 ex 30 for the last 5 stands...  if I could have started like that, and kept it going in the middle - I'd have been closer to my average, but I didn't - so I have a crappy score (53) to drop off my averages.

I really enjoyed the shoot - I had a quite, not very friendly squad, but that didn't detract from the great atmosphere of a major.

I saw so many ShootClay members - some for the first time - shouts out to Nicky T, Iggy, Azzurri, Chard, Timps, Mr Potter, SonOf, Jon Skeet, Steve (although I only saw Ally and the kids) - and more that I probably haven't mentioned - had a great chat with many and managed to enjoy some lunch as well.

I'll pop up a review and some pics once I have another coffee...

I had a great day today.

Really enjoyed it.

Tough yes.... Impossible no.

66/100 around five or six left out there but happy with that.

Would do it again.

Well shot Jem, would love to have been there myself but couldn't afford the train fare!!  Hope all the Shoot Clay members have a great time and the best of luck!

great shoot,loved it but shot like a fool.

(edit) forgot to say thanks to my squad for there company and good to meet jonskeet

shot this morning hit 65 bloody good targets, bloody good allround course, not one target did I think oh thats stupid or I have no idea how to shoot that well done whoever set the course lovely ground and a good squad to shoot with and the rain sort of held off a good day.

as for the toughness well it was tough but thats why I shoot the Majors whenever I can I apprciate the fact it goes agianst my registered scores but i think in the long term it only helps me improve so I dont worry about posting a bad score. I would be more p------ssed off posting  acrap score on a normaql registered shoot which I did last Sunday !!  So today restored my faith and cheered me up

Well shot Jem ! sorry wwe sort of got sidetracked over a cup of tea hope to see you again soon

a special mention to Rosie Brumby on our squad she hit a very polished 83!!! well done Rosie great shooting

'great shoot,loved it but shot like a fool.'

Just a normal day in paradise then Paul?

I shot like a tool- had a day where I couldn't break 90 on skeet if I tried, but thought it was the best shoot since steves set up at sweetslade last year. Mix of targets, plenty to open up on, some high, some below your feet, chondelles, rabbits, minis, midis.

93 there to be done Id say, nothing needed more than half choke and 8s, and everyone I met there today said they thought it was great! One of the few majors I'd happily go round and shoot again.

Of course it should be registered, that's why they call it an average will, some tough, some easy and some down the middle. Generally the majors are neither tough nor soft as they try and please everyone. This was on the firmer side (weather didn't help) but I thought they did a good job.

All straight able, I was missing ones from the get go and switched off half way once I realised I was having a stinker, but enjoyed it all the same.

Well done Doveridge.

Back