Competition guns how are the looked after?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwpzx9r

Competition gun maintenance

How do the top notch competition shooters look after their guns? Do they do it themselves after they shoot or do the hand their gun to a Perazzi technician to fettle after they are finished for the day. These guns were are told fire an enormous number of shots in their life are major tightening exercises avoided by meticulously maintaining the gun from day to day rather than waiting until it gets a bit loose and then doing something about it?

I read on the net a q and a with an American lady shooter who said she can shoot up to 1000 carts a day in traing assuming a 10 hrs shooting day that's emm... 1 shot every 36 seconds and does not allow for no birds and general coaching shot to shot! How do they do that and how often? What sort of condition would that Perazzi be in if just normal cleaning was applied? This lady shot the gun for I think 12 years before it was stolen but if we even attribute on quarter of the number of rounds she said she could shoot in any one day the gun must have fired ... 1.1 million cartridges and she only stopped using it because someone stole it! Good news is she got it back... but did not shoot it again because she got another to tide her over and stuck with it.

Having Reffed on a few sporting shoots where some of the 'big names' were shooting, judging by the rust on the outside of some of their guns, I do not think gun cleaning enters their vocabulary.

I gather a certain notable Norfolk shooters gun carries a health warning and should only be handled with tongs..

5 hours if you go Ba bam...!

Just saying
Very true and she is a skeet shooter! How ever that does not answer how the guns are looked after :) I see that some shooters don't bother it appears? Surely a gun that is not maintained will not last long? Once there is any wear on the mating surfaces surely the reactive forces on the worn areas will just accelerate the loosening of the action to the point where it may become dangerous? I have seen badly worn guns that have fired a fraction of the number of shots fired by shooters we hear shooting ... well more than 150k per year! And these guns are paid for by the person shooting it not by the company donating it!

Sorry..was not really interested in the rest as it does not affect me.....I'll get my coat :wink:

If a quality gun has some lubricant on the wearing/moving surfaces then surely volume shooting shouldn't pose too much of a problem, most can be re-conditioned with oversize parts and it's possible they would have fairly major components replaced in a rebuild so are really more like Trigger's broom.

The most I've shot in a day is three comps and 350 shells including Pool stands so given there would be no travelling involved I'd say 1000+ would be doable if fatigue isn't an issue.

I find that there are mechanically sympathetic people.. And those that are less so.. (Rare moment for me deciding not to use an insulting term..). You will never change most folk from being in one camp or the other..

I have always told my young son (when doing anything such as assembly with a device or machine) that "If you are using lots of energy, you are probably doing it wrongly. Stop, think and try again".

Last edited by a moderator:
PEOPLE please, can I perhaps shed a bit more light on this ? Company car syndrome, if you do not have to keep paying for the upkeep of the said item, there is a tendency to thrash the sphericals off it !

Good point Westley

clever

oh those sorts :)

PEOPLE please, can I perhaps shed a bit more light on this ? Company car syndrome, if you do not have to keep paying for the upkeep of the said item, there is a tendency to thrash the sphericals off it !
That's my point. I would always be careful with any mechanical device, no matter what. Makes me shudder not to..

That's my point. I would always be careful with any mechanical device, no matter what. Makes me shudder not to..
You say that, I had to bin our 5-6 year old petrol mower despite really looking after it, twice serviced by myself and once by a visiting man/van pro. The engine still ran but the struts attaching to the arms just collapsed, they build them that way on purpose. Still, good excuse to buy a new super cool Mculloch with a Honda engine.  :)

Its true hammy some things are just sh*te build quality. Lost count of how many washing machines and hoovers we have got through in the last 17 yrs.

As far as machines are concerned new mowers are indeed also sh*te as my ride on countax is proof, as are strimmers however my 39 yr old jcb just won't die and neither will my equally as old massey Ferguson tractor. Point proven, they don't make things as well as they used too.

Clever - yes (only engineers really understand doing things by feel or sound - the rest are just WTF was that merchants.

Hammy - Honda ride on cant be beaten (no doubt someone will soon be along to trash that).

IPS - get a Dyson :wink:

You seen the price of dyson, i am but a northern pauper.

Yes Honda ride on very good i want one this year the cacky old countax is tits up :)

Had a very disappointing time with a Karcher pressure washer recently. Ok it was out of warranty, but I was really careful with it. Kept it in heated garage (no frozen water damage). After about 10 hours use it just split its motor housing and was beyond economic repair. Karcher head office didn't give a flying F. All they had to do was say that it was disappointing and offer a discount on a new one. But no. Stock answer.

I will NEVER use another Karcher product and recommend all to do the same.

I had an alternator and battery pack up on a 7 series BMW a good few years back. All out of warranty, but BMW said that they would not expect this to happen so did me a 50% discount. I was happy. I assume it cost them no loss, but protected their brand image. Sensible.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back