DTL advice...

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tried DTL in April and haven't shot ESP since, thanks to Mike "how many 100 straights?"King

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

I tried DTL in April and haven't shot ESP since,
I rest my case, once you have shot trap there is no going back as its proper competitive shooting, not that other stuff which was only for ever intended as "live game" practice out of season.

Incoming :)

Andy,

Thanks for that - Do I need to book in advance for these? Or just turn up and sign on?

Matt
 Matt,

As Toby has said just turn up on the Sat not too many shoot the reg comp so they will sort you out with a squad, but you can shoot with others that are only shooting practice. On Sundays best to telephone or online book first.

Just remember on your first 25 you will be asked if you want to clear your gun! I didn't know what they were on about on the first time but it means test fire your gun before the comp starts, you don't have to do this of course.

Cheers Andy - will ping when I'm going down there - won't be this week (shooting Sunday & Monday) but soon!

Matt - trap disciplines will help your sporting/fitasc to some degree, the concentration part mainly. I use DTL to practice my FITASC so shoot gun down, this helps my gun mount technique for trap style birds we get at FITASC. Aside from that skeet should always be in your reportoire, that definitely helps concentration as its soooo easy to get slack on a skeet target. JMO

AFAIK the Frank Little method was/is much like most for the other ATA gurus in that a rigidly defined set of parameters for each station is set out.  Not that that is a bad thing for ATA trap since it has become a watered down trick shooting contest of miss and out.  Not to mention a variety of other problems that ATA shooters are generally in denial about.  well not to get started on that  And I understand that tho not in the instructions, Little's methodology included a substantial aspect of womanizing. 

So I suppose that those schemes would work fine for DTL.  Even tho the DTL targets proper are more difficult they would lend themselves to the same analysis and methodology.

Personally, it didn't take me long after I started shooting to realize that the ATA life style included way too much whining and emphasis on non-essentials to interest me long term.  Shooting other games quickly showed me that a style that favored none was way more fun and of course instantly removed me from contention in the ranks of miss n out-ers.  BUT! - what works for OT, helice, box birds, skeet and sporting is fine for me even if it doesn't support massive 100 straights.

And of course I'll instantly cop to not being Mr. Wonderful, being essentially talent challenged

but I am

Good Time

Charlie

Strange that so many Sporters say DTL is easy and then can't hit them all....probably too busy thinking about lead and chokes? See it Shoot it Forget it works for me. Helps if you look in the right place though :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Strange that so many Sporters say DTL is easy and then can't hit them all....probably too busy thinking about lead and chokes? See it Shoot it Forget it works for me. Helps if you look in the right place though :)Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
exactly

i always reply with the following when anyone says Dtl is easy "how many 300s have you done ?"

exactly

i always reply with the following when anyone says Dtl is easy "how many 300s have you done ?"
Same as Skeet, its easy right? so wheres ya 100 straight badge :)  anything repetitive like skeet or dtl is great for concentration   :)

Last edited by a moderator:
With respect when they say it's easy they don't necessarily mean you can shoot straights; in ESP an average of 87 puts you in AAA, the same in DTL means you've yet to break the skin of C class !  :flowers:

Oooerr...

post-507-0-17361100-1377203848.jpg

Attachments

• Kenneth-Williams.jpg
    Kenneth-Williams.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 0
With respect when they say it's easy they don't necessarily mean you can shoot straights; in ESP an average of 87 puts you in AAA, the same in DTL means you've yet to break the skin of C class ! :flowers:
forgive me hammy but not sure i understand your point ?

I would assume that because you typically get higher average scores in DTL than sporting then there is a perception that DTL is easier. It just means the bar is set higher in DTL. I don't think anyone would argue that it is easier to post an 87 in DTL than in Sporting but it is comparing apples with oranges.

Ive always thought that trap shots are easy always a going away bird the difficult bit is the concentration required, you can hit a lot of targets hence the high scoees but can you concentrate enough to finish em all off...thats the hard bit. I have the concentration span of a knat hitting a windscreen at 50mph.. hedge monkey through and through

Ok, thinking overnight on hamsters post I came up with this; skeet and dtl TARGETS are easy when taken on their own as just single targets or pairs in skeets case, as they are fixed the ground owner cant throw in a "men from boys" target. But, when you put 100 together in sequence to make a DISCIPLINE where anything less than perfection is a fail it makes them hard.

Most answers so far have been pretty close to the mark, Trap Targets ARE easier taken individually with all other factors removed. Few would argue with the fact that DTL is particularly easy in target terms compared say to a tough stand at an ESP shoot where almost everyone drops one or two clays. 

I get told off everyday for looking blankly at my wife unable to concentrate a few seconds to hear what she's saying :D  but don't suffer the same symptoms when wiring in a new set of lights. It's just as hard to WIN at either and I've never said anything differently but when I go shooting on a Sunday I go to test my skills at hitting a multitude of targets plus the ability to hold my nerve and of course concentration (remember all shoots are won on the easy stands), what I can't put myself through every Sunday is testing primarily my concentration, I don't need a comp to tell me I'm crap at that.

If you take two discipline near virgins from ESP and ABT of comparable ability and after a practice round or two measure their performance against each others respective games, my guess is one virgin will walk away very much cross legged and I won't be so brash as to state which. B)

The DTL'er would do well not to lose outright. :lol:

Back