Do you use the same cartridge for everything?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As a new shooter, I've been flinging 28Gr 8s at the clays on the skeet range with 'skeet and skeet' chokes in the holes. (Fiocchi TT1 and Eley Olympic Blues for the most part).

Would the knowledgeable panel of ladies and gentlemen collectively think there is any benefit in giving size 9 shot a whirl?

I ask, 'cos I've seen it in a couple of articles and a couple of people have said it out on the ground. Other opinions of course may differ... I fully appreciate that pointing the noisy club in roughly the right place is paramount, but still...

Last edited by a moderator:
I missed half of those horrible airborne rabbits, but I often hit one miles away and smashed it with 8's.

8 shot breaks 99.99% of anything you will ever see on a Sporting course. It is with deep regret, I have to state that you need to point the gun in the right place though. 

I concluded years ago that one cartridge is the answer. Also, this leaves your brain alone to concentrate on clays, not shells..
Watched 4-5 in front of me all drop 7-8 of those rabbit things can't say any that broke were anything but barely in half, nothing looked to have been broken well, it was a really difficult target to know how to take, looked like these guys tried everything with little success 

Watched 4-5 in front of me all drop 7-8 of those rabbit things can't say any that broke were anything but barely in half, nothing looked to have been broken well, it was a really difficult target to know how to take, looked like these guys tried everything with little success 
It sure caught most out. A few straights all day. Dean Gibbs did and said he shot them all very early. 

As a new shooter, I've been flinging 28Gr 8s at the clays on the skeet range with 'skeet and skeet' chokes in the holes. (Fiocchi TT1 and Eley Olympic Blues for the most part).

Would the knowledgeable panel of ladies and gentlemen collectively think there is any benefit in giving size 9 shot a whirl?

I ask, 'cos I've seen it in a couple of articles and a couple of people have said it out on the ground. Other opinions of course may differ... I fully appreciate that pointing the noisy club in roughly the right place is paramount, but still...
I would go for something with a good spread and low recoil. 24g 9's would be good. 

If you use 28g 9s you can ditch those skeet chokes and fit a pair of true cylinder chokes 

One cartridge for me and a cheap one at that as I am not good enough (and probably never will be) for it to make a difference. Every single cartridge is better than I am.

Trap targets , Cheddite Oro 7.5 24gr

Sporting, Gamebore EVO 9, 28gr as much as possible or Hull Superfast if needed 7.5, 27gr

Skeet, either Gamebore EVO 9 or Hull Pro one 9, 28gr

I bought a couple of slabs of Eley First Select 24gr, 7.5 for my wife and have to say they break clays very very well and a good price too. 

I don't shoot comps any more being an old tart pensioner but enjoy every time I pull the trigger. 

I use Cheddite Trap Oro 28g 8.5's through 5/8 & 3/4 chokes at both DTL & ABT whether I'm practicing or competing  ;)

I shoot fibre Fiocchi Top One 7.5 for most sporting targets and Fiocchi Black 8's or Eley Superb 7.5 for longer targets save changing chokes. But l fear its all in the mind really!

I missed half of those horrible airborne rabbits, but I often hit one miles away and smashed it with 8's.

8 shot breaks 99.99% of anything you will ever see on a Sporting course. It is with deep regret, I have to state that you need to point the gun in the right place though. 

I concluded years ago that one cartridge is the answer. Also, this leaves your brain alone to concentrate on clays, not shells..
That's a great sentiment Will, but if you use the same chokes and the same cartridges all the time, the only variable is the one pointing the gun and pulling the trigger. No-one wants to blame themselves!  :frown:

That's a great sentiment Will, but if you use the same chokes and the same cartridges all the time, the only variable is the one pointing the gun and pulling the trigger. No-one wants to blame themselves!  :frown:
True. This is why most choke changing and cartridge fiddling goes on with those not at the top of the game. It takes a long time to sink in that it's 99% about pointing it in the right place. Until a shooter truly accepts that though, there is a whole industry profiting from selling him or her new things to improve upon the current equipment. 

Last edited by a moderator:
28g 8's on everything I shoot at. Whether it breaks them is a different story 

Just curious do people here use the same cartridge for practice and competition or switch and change. Or when shooting different diciplines do you change to a different cartridge 

For example do you use the same cartridge for DTL as you would for ABT or for OT or sporting or do you change to different ones ?
In a word, no. A trap load wouldn't be much use for skeet!

I agree I love 8's or 9's (to 30m)  on rabbits.

Back