Cesar Guerini - Would you?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Moore K-80 said:
You are shooting some very tidy scores at the moment Clynt, are these with the Ceasar?
yes m8 have played with the comb height (parallel with the rib, about 38mm)took a little off the stock, resulting with a negative pitch, and changed the heel pad to a Blaser one !!

as any realistic shooter know's "you are only as good as your last score"   :roulette:  

Mines a 32" Maxum and you'd be hard pressed to find fault with it, full stop. Lovely wood, side plates, nice balance, well screwed together and very pretty engraving. Oh, the best bit is it didn't cost anything like £3k.

MM
did someone mention side plate :)

Seriously though, the side plate model does look very pretty.

Well there's a mixed bag of (mostly) helpful/useful comments, thanks all. 

I can confirm that I do listen to what's being said and have been to Coley's this morning only to find out FIVE things. 

1. The 32" CG Essex is rather nice and it does shoot soft (that could be 2 things) 
  2. I am looking straight along the rib on both the L/H CG AND my R/H 525  :crazy:  (although the guy did say this would need to be confirmed on the pattern plate and with an instructor etc)
  3. I really do need check the fit and to pattern my gun as I suspect I could be chasing the Holy Grail.
  4. There's a very slight crack in my forend (ohh err Missus  :fie: ) 
  5. Even with the crack, my gun is worth more or less what I had suspected it would be. 
So the plan is to get myself checked for fit etc and pattern the 525. If that comes up OK then I'll get the f/end repaired along with minor adjustments and then stick with it.

However, if it involves bending stocks etc I am going to swap, and the CG is now FIRMLY on the list as a potential replacement option. 

Finners

Having given you my estimate of value of your gun for a private sale earlier on in another thread about gun value I would be fascinated to learn what Coleys were prepared to offer you for it(PM me if you wanted to keep the figure confidential), and was that price conditional on you buying something else from them? 

MM :hunter:

Finners

Having given you my estimate of value of your gun for a private sale earlier on in another thread about gun value I would be fascinated to learn what Coleys were prepared to offer you for it(PM me if you wanted to keep the figure confidential), and was that price conditional on you buying something else from them? 

MM :hunter:
The P/X deal was against an already discounted gun in the "Sale" and was (IIRC) around £4 - 500 more than the highest figure you mentioned. This took into account the repair needed to the f/end. 

I would imagine on a Private sale I'd get that amount easily, and a few hundred more without too much bother. As it happens, they had an identical gun to mine ( nice wood etc but with a very nice oil finish) although older, that was up at £2750. These guns are over £4k new now I believe  :fie:

Just a quick note . . . . . the CG Essex is a very nice and pretty gun, but very much a game gun which some may find a bit on the light side for competition clay shooting?

Check the products list : -

http://www.angloitalianarms.co.uk/index.html

I have shot one a few times and found them a little less forgiving on the recoil side, and found the rib a touch too narrow, for me anyway !

The P/X deal was against an already discounted gun in the "Sale" and was (IIRC) around £4 - 500 more than the highest figure you mentioned. This took into account the repair needed to the f/end. 

I would imagine on a Private sale I'd get that amount easily, and a few hundred more without too much bother. As it happens, they had an identical gun to mine ( nice wood etc but with a very nice oil finish) although older, that was up at £2750. These guns are over £4k new now I believe  :fie:
List price for a new Prestige is £3k on Guntrader. Goes to show what some dealers will do when they advertise a second hand gun(a 9 year old one at that) at £250 below the new price of the same gun from a dealer elsewhere. Just confirms that some people just never shop around or they have wayyyyy..too much money.

As for the PX value of your gun ask the dealer whether he'd give you the same for your gun on an outright purchase basis??  :crazy:   :crazy: The figure he comes up with will be much closer to that which you will get from a private buyer..  But then this is all academic, sounds like you are going to keep your B525, a move which if it fits, is 100% correct, and in so doing, save yourself a load of extra dosh in any event.

Good shooting and have a Happy New Year

MM

Last edited by a moderator:
The Essex comes in either Game or Sporter versions, the latter being identical to the Maxum in all respects bar the engraving so 8 1/2 lbs, wide sporter rib etc....

That's interesting Don, I didn't know that.

The Essex does not even get a mention on the Italian and US web sites. The UK site does list it, but only in the Game Section and not in the Competition Section?

The one I had, which in fact my wife shot for a while, was definitely a game version with the narrower rib and no recoil pad, and we didn't keep it that long. It was a very nice looking gun, so a bit gutted to know now that we could have changed to a Sporter version of the Essex to try before she moved on to the Challenger  :spiteful:

It's true, they do come as a Sporter. The one I shot was a 32" Multichoke weighing around 8lbs. I was told that Guerini have dropped the Essex though, so perhaps that's why it's no longer on the UK website? 

I had looked at getting a new Guerini before I ended up with the used 682. They make beautiful guns, but I was put off because they are mostly multi-choke guns. Not sure if it was the maxum or ascent I was checking out at the CLA, with a stepped rib, but was told they didnt come in fixed choke versions.

I had looked at getting a new Guerini before I ended up with the used 682. They make beautiful guns, but I was put off because they are mostly multi-choke guns. Not sure if it was the maxum or ascent I was checking out at the CLA, with a stepped rib, but was told they didnt come in fixed choke versions.
I have to admit my absolute preference (if I do end up swapping) would be for a fixed choke that I would then get teagued - the long internal types naturally.

But I suspect I will end up with a factory M/C as this could all get a bit too expensive otherwise. 

Just don't change the chokes!!

Just don't change the chokes!!
Alternatively,  get a pair of Mullers these are light weight throw superb patterns and don't work loose - simply stick em in & forget about them. You won't be dissapointed :hunter:

On a personal note, I don't believe my skill and ability would warrant the expenditure, I'd also be frightened to death I might scratch or damage it thereby ruining any enjoyment. 

I'm happy with my 525, does all I need and it is far more capable than I.... :hunter:

On a personal note, I don't believe my skill and ability would warrant the expenditure, I'd also be frightened to death I might scratch or damage it thereby ruining any enjoyment. 

I'm happy with my 525, does all I need and it is far more capable than I.... :hunter:
Aye, they could actually be THE words of wisdom :good:

However, in my case, my lovely 525 is Right Handed and I'm not, so I need to find out if the gun I have is hindering me at all. If it is (to any discernable level) then I shall swap it for a Lefty.  

EDIT: Oh yes, and if I do swap, I may as well go for the 32" with better chokes of some kind. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back