Cartridge prices falling?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was lead to believe the retailers get a 10% mark up. A local agri store has regular 10% off everything in store days, I used to buy a 1000 carts then (but they were always wet so false economy) when I mentioned this to a local well renowned gun shop about the 10% off days they said that was all the Mark up gone so they were selling carts at cost for that. The agri store maybe only broke even on the carts but would make more on the clothing, animal fees and equestrian stuff etc that was bigger margin.

Mark up is no less than 10%  :)  which to be fair is what it should be at least, BUT it does depend on volume ordered and some therefore will have quite a bit more, especially those who partake in a bit of cartel activities like agreeing not to stock competitors brands. 

So you are suggesting there is a 30% mark up on cartridges a good margin when we are constantly told that they make nothing out of them?

There must be someone on here that used to or now sells cartridges that can give us the definitive answer rather than the constant unknown?
To be honest I don't know the mark up BUT If I was going to invest my money , time and shop space on something I would like to know that I would be making something out of that investment. Think about the input in everything that goes to sell the product it is not just about taking the money you have to pay for the place you are selling from and the people who are selling need paid then the simple lights, heating and other sundries. Cartridges cannot be so different to other items that are manufactured for sale look at electrical goods sold in shops like Currys and so on you can buy many of these items from traders on ebay selling at more than 25% less and the sellers are still making a profit. However to answer your question I actually don't know the truth  :lol:  but if for example you look at a big supplier like JC how much profit do they need to make to pay their staff and running costs? And have they not just extended their premises ... I stick by my theory that there is a handsome profit in flogging these things!  

I was lead to believe the retailers get a 10% mark up. A local agri store has regular 10% off everything in store days, I used to buy a 1000 carts then (but they were always wet so false economy) when I mentioned this to a local well renowned gun shop about the 10% off days they said that was all the Mark up gone so they were selling carts at cost for that. The agri store maybe only broke even on the carts but would make more on the clothing, animal fees and equestrian stuff etc that was bigger margin.
I just don't believe that... no I am not saying you are telling any lies :lol: ... no I am saying why would any retailer sell something that was not making them anything? Why would you tie up money in something you know before you even get it into your shop is not going to give you any return on your investment? I don't for one minute go with the idea that I go to a shop to buy a harness for my horse and ... take a slab of carts while I am ta it any more than I went down to the shop looking to buy some cartridges ... and bought a new set of dungaree's and pair of wellies while I was at it just because they were there and I suddenly remembered I needed these items as well :D    However my main thought is that a 10% mark up is not going to cover the selling costs of the cartridges these items have to be bought and stocked and then sold on and to do that you need to pay for all the costs that goes into the selling of them. A shooting ground shop may well be different though because the volume of that they would sell 10 - 15% profit could be a good earner I reckon they must sell hundreds of thousands per year.

Last edited by a moderator:
If the trade price was £130 + 10% profit +20% Total about £170 sounds about right to me. Not a lot of profit when you take out expences rent, rates ,wages and VAT is it.

When I had a gunshop I was the first Express dealer in the S/West!  Competition sold for £75.00 and Pros at£80.00 a 1000.00.           My mark up was £5.00 a 1000! on each. The only profit maker then was clothing, now that's cut to the bone!

Last edited by a moderator:
When I had a gunshop I was the first Express dealer in the S/West!  Competition sold for £75.00 and Pros at£80.00 a 1000.00.           My mark up was £5.00 a 1000! on each. The only profit maker then was clothing, now that's cut to the bone!
Thank you for that, it has answered a lot of questions. I have dug my shooting suit out ready for the season AND that has now been "cut to the bone". Thankfully I know a couple of very skilled Tailors who are letting things out a 'touch' so I can still get into it.  I thought we had developed damp in the wardrobe  !  

what I find difficult to understand is if I want to self load with my second hand cases it works out dearer than buying of the shelf stuff, I would happily reload if the price was right

I even looked at making my own shot which is not too difficult but still cost prohibitive. if I were younger and had some dosh behind me I would look at 2 avenues ,

bulk buy a reasonable cartridge and knock it out at a good price or look at bulk buying ingredients and doing the same .

what we need is someone like aldi or lidl to start selling carts they would probably wipe out the competition bit like primark is doing to bhs and  m and s

that's my rant. out of interest anyone know cartridge prices in the continent ?  petrol and diesel in france on my last visit was about £1 a litre which includes the road tax

If the CPSA stipulated that ALL clayshooting was to be done with 24gram that would bring prices down.

If the CPSA stipulated that ALL clayshooting was to be done with 24gram that would bring prices down.
Doesn't matter what gramage you specify needed when they don't check in anycase.

At our local grounds shooters can often be seen collecting empty black gold cases and boxes out the bins, and they then come back with full black golds and shoot registered comps and major competitions with anything but what it written on the case in them.

what I find difficult to understand is if I want to self load with my second hand cases it works out dearer than buying of the shelf stuff, I would happily reload if the price was right

I even looked at making my own shot which is not too difficult but still cost prohibitive. if I were younger and had some dosh behind me I would look at 2 avenues ,

bulk buy a reasonable cartridge and knock it out at a good price or look at bulk buying ingredients and doing the same .

what we need is someone like aldi or lidl to start selling carts they would probably wipe out the competition bit like primark is doing to bhs and  m and s

that's my rant. out of interest anyone know cartridge prices in the continent ?  petrol and diesel in france on my last visit was about £1 a litre which includes the road tax
Petrol and diesel costs more in France than here! 

Well the thing about cartridges is .... they are the absolute necessity to be able to shoot game , practice clay disciplines and  compete so no matter how much the shooter may complain the price must be paid. What I find strange is how the prices can vary so much from one country to another.... CARTEL'S :lol:

still think that places like JC and shooting grounds are raking it in on cartridges they sell many 100's of K ever year now even if you only bag £10 or £20 per thousand that is a nice turnover at the end of the year... could be very wrong though and the truth is these places are run by people sympathetic to shooter and do it for the love of it and no profit as a service to shooting... wow did you see the size of that porker that just flew by :lol:

Local gunshop suggested 25% margin and they are still the cheapest place around and shift over 1M carts per year including supplying most local clayshoots

very sorry MDP but French diesel and petrol is cheaper providing you buy it in supermarkets its less than £1 a litre on my last visit to my house in Normandy (which is up for sale ) I also think that I get more mpg just wish I was well enough to live there .and of course the road tax is included in  the price

I have looked at a couple French websites for cartridges and they seem much the same price as ours unfortunately. may. be better to shop around at smaller outlets

as I said before , if we all bought one cartridge brand for 12 months   I bet prices would drop  or other manufacturers would be out of business ,.   but I know it would never happen !   :cry:    its about the only way we the shooters  could influence prices .

as I said before , if we all bought one cartridge brand for 12 months   I bet prices would drop  or other manufacturers would be out of business ,.   but I know it would never happen !   :cry:    its about the only way we the shooters  could influence prices .
Only problem with that is the mass shortage of cartridges can't see one manufacturer being able to pick up the production of 5 major ones never mind the smaller ones.

Also some seem to make most of the components for others so if they weren't selling shells you would imagine the price of components would rise.

Basically we are screwed,don't think i would have the will power not to go shooting just to prove a pointless point.

Easily solved.

Use Cheddites , major component manufacturer, fantastic British distributor, quality product  at sensible money.

Contact Brian at Malmo or see Graham Stirzaker at nearly every ground every weekend.

Easily solved.

Use Cheddites , major component manufacturer, fantastic British distributor, quality product  at sensible money.

Contact Brian at Malmo or see Graham Stirzaker at nearly every ground every weekend.
Still rare in the south. The fella that stocks them in Surrey doesn’t have the full range and I think it’s the case that the cheaper ones don’t come in 8 shot..

Back