British Opens (Sporting and Sportrap) at Fauxdegla - 30/8 to 2/9

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds like another failure at a big event with lots of unhappy campers glad I don't waste my time with these things anymore!

Been ripped off by the CPSA enough times, had a lovely relaxing weekend and came home with a beautiful hamper and 400€ in my back pocket in winnings.

Lovely relaxing can't think of anything worse than slugging up the welsh hill side like a sheep and shooting another sporting shoot! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Optima - Are you saying Fuzzy quit and gave up????

C an we not save the moaning about the weather for when it's pishing down and driving into ur face. That is what makes shooting hard as there is very little that good admin can do to help in that situation?
I agree.

Any 4 day event can be affected adversely by the weather, even beloved grounds like Hodnet. It can be glorious sunshine one day and slashing it down with horizontal rain the next.

Admittedly Llandegla is a tricky area for weather, as any hilly part of the country is. I suppose those who feel strongly about it could avoid booking onto shoots in dodgy terrain. :p

As always in this sport, the loudest moaning comes from those you are hacked off with their score, it's always been the way.

You can't blame the ground for the weather. I thought the organisation for the Sporting was generally very good. Some of the Sportrap reffing sounded sh*te (I didn't shoot that) but that's another story :yell:

Burgers were good too :)

Yes Glen...........I saw the massive amounts of congratulations posted (laugh out loud)

Last edited:
Just read Fuzzy's full report! ........Hate to say been there done it. You get no respect at these things you get the ar*sehole refs and the good ones. I think the way you were treated is a joke mate. The referee had an attitude problem and to be honest I have no time for these pathetic remarks from them. As for the CPSA I think a letter of complaint should be on its way from you! I am sure as a valued member they will respond efficiently and give you a discount or something or appologize!!!!!

I take it you did not win C Class then???

Glen.

I agree whole heatedly with Chard, we had a great time, good mix of targets, I didn't take a coat and shot in a t shirt and never use a skeet vest, don't like them and I was warm enough, one of the luxury's of being 'chunky' , so it was a little windy, so it was a little more challenging !!

All in all a great day, well run apart from a couple of ref's, we'll deffinitely be going back at some point, and yes, the burgers were ace !!!!!

I agree whole heatedly with Chard, we had a great time, good mix of targets, I didn't take a coat and shot in a t shirt and never use a skeet vest, don't like them and I was warm enough, one of the luxury's of being 'chunky' , so it was a little windy, so it was a little more challenging !!

All in all a great day, well run apart from a couple of ref's, we'll deffinitely be going back at some point, and yes, the burgers were ace !!!!!
Sounds like fuzzy then???? Only singing when I am winning????

I think some of the perception will depend on when this was shot - unfortunately Saturday afternoon had a double whammy of high winds and trap breakdowns causing queues.

One learning for me was to book an AM squad to avoidnthenlong waits that build up as the day progresses - BO and World had this issue.

I do think it might be worth considering a slightly longer time per rotation.

What happened with the reffing?
Well it's all heresay, as I didn't shoot it and didn't even watch any of it, so I should probably shut the **** up :p

But I can't do that :.: , so :

I heard from a few sensible and very experienced people that on some of the layouts, they only had one person (fairly inexperienced) buttoning and marking on their own. I've got a quick mind for an old fart and I wouldn't want to do that all day. I'd end up poking somebody in the eye.

This meant that there were "many" instances of wrong calls, wrong birds being sent, slow pulls, bad decisions all round (allegedly).

I think reffing sportrap sounds like a thankless nightmare of a job and I wouldn't do it. If they're going to have to do it on their own they need to be VERY good. It's all right banging off a round or two, but imagine doing it on your own for hours, your brain would be fried. :yell:

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah well.....it is only the British.......no need to put any expert refs then (laughoutloud)

Good pictures Matt. Looks beautiful landscape.

Unbelievable in that terrain that there were no driven, no rabbits or overhead targets and nothing under the feet. What a missed opportunity .........who was the target setter, does anyone know????

I was told Keith Roe set the targets.

I really feel sorry for the guys that shot it on the Saturday I haven't heard a good thing from anyone of them.

I shot it on the Sunday didn't wait more then 15 mins to shoot a stand when the 9am and 11am squads crossed, plenty of targets for every level, no break down, a few wind affected targets, but that’s life.

The organisation everything about the day was spot on, and the Burgers were great :)

As for the Rabbits, they tend to put those on some hard standing were the STR layout was, as they don't roll so well in the heather, stand 15 the first target was under my feet imo, and as for no driven I think it was a good idea as they could of been affected by the wind which may well of made them danagours !

Ian, you need to see more rabbits. In other countries they throw rabbits on many surfaces, even clearing root ground for a tricky track, sometimes up and down dale, especially down steep banks in a pipe or wooden track, shooting out at the last minute.

Heather is no problem for a course designer. (smiles)

Nicola, I agree the heather could of been over-come, I've seen them run rabbit along rubber mats at Fuax up on the banks where 5-7 were, but I reckon after 4 days those mat would of been pretty chewed up..

Agreed a few rabbits would have given varity, also they wouldn't of been wind affected.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually quite pleased with my score, was a time not that far back when I would have turned that 81 into a 41 :(

As mentioned in my earlier post its luck of the draw with weather and we were unlucky but the course setter must have known the wind would get up at some point over the four days.

My biggest problem was with the over 2 hour wait to shoot 2 stands when there are empty stands all around. Didn't help that they stopped the shooting to fill the traps on those stands then every couple of squads later they stopped again to put half a dozen in each slot.

Moving the traps in the middle of a comp is just wrong. Set the Damn things right in the first place.

Moving a trap is allowed as long as the presentation is the same!

How many times have we heard about wind affected targets, sun etc. .......the never ending story..... Did you get your orange? Was it an apple this year? ha ha ha ha

It was an apple .. Presentation was totally different, went from a straight incommer curling right and dropping at the end to a l-r quartering across!

Even if you cut the heather right back it would be that bumpy underneath that you would get persistent bouncers - then cue "there was this ******* rabbit - every one was different but the ref never called no bird. You wouldn't get this at such and such a ground...". Zzzzzzzzz....,

Fauxdegla is a great ground and facility, unfortunately it doesn't lend itself to a 4 day shoot. All the good scores were shot fri and sun. The other days it was a total lottery. The targets I thought were very boring and only added to the problems on a still day they may have been very good but a lot more thought needed to go in when setting the course on shill in Wales. I walked around with some students on one day and stand 14 were a very easy pair of driven yet the next day they were 60 and 70 yards a way. THIS WAS NOT DUE TO WIND I can assure you. It's a shame when the CPSA blue ribbon event turns out to be this bad. For years I have asked for a vetting committee of shooters, course designers and referees to check the targets before a event to stop this shambles happening again.

You couLd see the great job on in the infrastructure that Mike Faux and team had done and for this they should be commended. Unfortunately the main thing we go for are the targets and these let it down.

Ben

Latest posts

Back