Horne - Gatton Bottom 8/07/12 review plus a few words

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hamster

Following on from another thread regarding single clays off the same trap, I thought you might be interested in this. On Sunday 8/07/12 I shot Horne's Gatton Bottom 100 birder and whilst booking in had occasion to discuss this and the pairs together thing with them. They were very gracious in listening with no hint of being put out by my criticism, in turn they felt it unfair that their shoot is somehow accused of being easy and here I have to agree. Apparently they had not used the pairs at the previous shoot and to be fair at this 11 stand shoot they only had one R/L rising quartering 8 birder which wasn't easy to straight.

Their last few shoots results are :

13/05/12 HG M. Marshall 96

27/05/12 HG W. Steyn and me 90 (Herny Arnold 2nd in AA 87)

04/06/12 HG G. Digweed 98 (Ross Straker 92 next closest and he can shoot)

10/06/12 HG A. Boutoille 96 (is he not the European Champion?)

01/07/12 HG R. Straker 94

08/07/12 HG H. Hajilou 97 (G. Peck 92, M. Marshall 90)

Obviously there are bound to be restrictions due to the number of traps available as to whether someone can put on a faultless round but for the record when I approached another local shoot at the end and asked in a friendly tone if they'd like any constructive criticism they simply said no!!!
:frown:

Now the review itself:

Having sat out the rain in the car, or so I thought, for over half an hour I started on a R/L fast dropping crosser with Teal on report which I just seemed to smoke ball then made my way to the very top of the ground hoping to shelter in the woods lest it open up again which it did and never stopped, absolutely soaked through despite my so called waterproof outer.

Next shot stand 10 in the top corner with a not seen before long face-on incomer from the left which died very quickly and was missed by almost everyone followed by a going away off the tower, relieved to drop only 2 of the droppers. Then shot stand 11 with a curling mini incomer high in the trees followed by quartering away from left through the trees. They had a really good rocket crosser using rabbit targets thrown high off the ground with a skimming yellow going away, again top presentation and hard to straight. My only other miss came on the platform where Mark Marshall started his round dropping two fast going away crossing L/R with one orange one white clay. I finished off on the front stand with a midi orange slight R/L incomer which died well out front, people panicked of course and fired at it when it was 60 yards away, easyish R/L close looper on report.

I've rarely shot this well before, things just seemed doable and I wasn't doing silly things like giving loopers way too much lead etc. On the way back I stopped off at JJ's by Blue Water, this is a club that caters for Sunday morning hobby shooters more so than die hard competition sorts. This isn't to say they're all easy, stands tend to feature one easy bird with a mid difficulty (for AA's) on report. They had one stand with a fast on edge std/midi combo R/L which was hard to straight, another with a mini Teal, a 40 yard high battue and quite a few at 35 yard plus, again amazed myself with a 96x96 straight, they said it hadn't been done for 11 years so well happy. The old 682e was showing off I think instead of sulking for me having taken out the Zoli once or twice. :.: :.:

Last edited by a moderator:
Bloody well shot mate! What more can I say?

Horne has the reputation of being easy and was when I started, but I have found it increasingly fiddly over the last few years.

CSC3

Better off shooting 100 skeet than going to these grounds in my opinion only ever shot there twice and decided never to go back was extremely boring and not worth the travel time.

When you can shoot 90's at grounds like Weston, Westfield and Hornet then you know you have something to shout home about! :)

Nothing wrong with an easy shoot. I always think that it is great for 80% of the shooters. They attend to have fun on a Sunday and to be able to go away having had a great time actually breaking clays whether with SBS, OU or BBB is the way we keep our sport. Of course it helps to have a couple of card breaking targets to sort out the brides and the bridesmaids.

I hate hard shoots at sporting.....because after you have stood out in the cold and mud all day.....you then have to drive home broken. :D

Better off shooting 100 skeet than going to these grounds in my opinion only ever shot there twice and decided never to go back was extremely boring and not worth the travel time.
I couldn't shoot a 95 at Skeet to save my life Glen.

yeah I just never enjoyed the shoots they run..... Like I said i found them boring and a waste of a journey. Hammy 90+ at anything is good in my book! Unless it is pigeons and then you should only shoot 40 and pack up and go home...... ;-)

You pluck 'em I'll shoot them. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back