At what point does a instructor become a coach?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
 Not realy an axe to grind,more of a annoyance with people coming on the scene with there new shooting coach badge after only shooting for a few months,while you and other coaches have years of shooting and coaching experiance under your hat,that cost alot more than a certificate.
You'll find that this happens every time some scheme or funding or whatever is announced. All sorts of coaches with varying degrees of competency come out of the woodwork chasing the coin - even some who have never even had a go at the discipline, they just have some connection or other.

Interesting, if the coach has not been there theirselves then how can they show another the way!

A instructor instructs and a coach keeps the pupil on target.

Interesting, if the coach has not been there theirselves then how can they show another the way!

A instructor instructs and a coach keeps the pupil on target.
Only if they have been there at high competition level themselves....IMHO

......if you are paying money that is...!!

Has every world champion been coached by a world champion ? No of corse not, but I'm sure if they were it would speed things up, point been world champions are winners and will win no matter what, there different from the rest of us, but the young raw talent that's coming thru in all clay shooting will need some one that's been there done that to gain an edge, never has the standard been so high, and it's fantastic to see

Good shooters don't always make good coaches and good coaches don't need to be world champions. A good coach teaches you how to shoot and how to develop a technique, similar to a golf coach helping someone to develop a swing.

Should they be able to prepare you for a big competition? Probably not, that should fall into someone like Phil Coley or Henry Hopkins realm, even the top shooters recognised they needed a strategy for the mental aspects of shooting.

Coach selection is very important, like Paul said, there are instructors who think they are coaches, to be a good coach you need experience and a very good knowledge of what you are doing, IMO there are a small number of good coaches in the UK, lots of good instructors though...

It's your head that shoots the half dozen extra targets that win championships, some possess the inner self belief, some need help. It is a matter of record that some don't even need a coach to go all the way.

I have an Instructor badge :nyam: does that mean I cannot shoot? oh Matt you need a coach I have seen you shoot :haha:

Yes, many shooters won big without anything but their own skills....in the past. But if you were looking to the future....and had endless resources....a clear dedication to win.....possess reasonable skills......You can build yourself into a champion.....or build other champions...!!

It is already happening (and for this peeps you will have to broaden your horizons wider than the sporting discipline).

Pete Wilson did it in 6 years.

One coach....who was himself also an Olympic winner.

This is all about how much you 'really' want to win....and if you have the required skill and mental attitude....and 'really' the right coach for what you want to achieve....and of course the money or a backer.

Whiners and whingers ....need not apply :wink:

If you have no financial help to get your 'plan' the whole way (own or others money).... need not apply

If you cannot use every waking moment.......need not apply

If you are only wanting to win a national title and you eyes are not on the world.....need not apply

It all comes down to whether 'you' are serious at wanting to go the whole way.....or play at it.

Can you push the limits without first knowing where the limits are.....?? Not many people in any sport can do that......but the winners can....true story..!!

:laugh:

P.s. The best thing is they all have the strength to not give a sh*t about what other people in their field, think. They trust only their own crew.......

Last edited:
A point not to overlook is that the former world champions have often been subject to 20 years coaching from the best themselves and have gathered that information successfully. To talk with a former world champion for an hour I find infinitely more valuable than a weekend's shooting.

Last edited by a moderator:
I still think you need a ShootClay badge to be really good. 

I must admit it would be great to have a really good coach. I find it frustrating when I miss because I don't know why I did it and although people will say... you were behind, in front, over or under it I don't want to know that... I want to know why!! and how to avoid doing it again. I think that is why most shooters scores plateau simply because they don't have someone who can tell them why they missed and what to do to stop it happening on the next target.

Edit

Nik I agree with what you have said above but would ask at what age do you think you need not apply? Not that I was going to apply anyway :)  but would be interested to get your take on age and getting to the top in shooting. I have started very late in trap at 57 but still would like to get better at it, coaching would seem to make sense ...never heard the word mentioned down here! Plenty willing to give advice which is good but its all your behind,over etc. Not you missed because...

Last edited by a moderator:
A point not to overlook is that the former world champions have often been subject to 20 years coaching from the best themselves and have gathered that information successfully. To talk with a former world champion for an hour I find infinitely more valuable than a weekend's shooting.
Have you sorted your head out yet Fred? I mean since you had that session with DK???

I still think you need a ShootClay badge to be really good.
I can see a new angle here Matt....

Shootclay reviews and awards coaching badges to the people who are the 'shooters choice'......and no need to have been a Cpsa or Basc coach/instructor/whatever .......

This award is the vote of the shooter themselves based on the success 'they' themselves think they have achieved. Let the shooter talk....!

Hey Matt why not go the full hog and have a Shootclay Awards.....all on line....

1. Set up categories....

2. Forum members and shooters nominate people to the categories (it could be open to Internet like the way you set up the disabled auction) that way it could get out on Facebook and twitter to the World.

3. Cut of date for nominations....then publish the names in each category.

4. Shooters then vote by a set date. So you see who has what votes.

5 then a panel decides the short list of 3 for each category .

6. Then all the shooters vote for fav from the 3 short listed .

Or something like that....

Who knows...after a few years it might develop into a prize giving ceremony that really reflects what shooters think..!!

I must admit it would be great to have a really good coach. I find it frustrating when I miss because I don't know why I did it and although people will say... you were behind, in front, over or under it I don't want to know that... I want to know why!! and how to avoid doing it again. I think that is why most shooters scores plateau simply because they don't have someone who can tell them why they missed and what to do to stop it happening on the next target.

Edit

Nik I agree with what you have said above but would ask at what age do you think you need not apply? Not that I was going to apply anyway :) but would be interested to get your take on age and getting to the top in shooting. I have started very late in trap at 57 but still would like to get better at it, coaching would seem to make sense ...never heard the word mentioned down here! Plenty willing to give advice which is good but its all your behind,over etc. Not you missed because...
Age does not affect the will to win.....only the disciplines you can play in. Take a look at Vets and Super Vets.....most of out legends in there...in some disciplines.I hate age restrictions......it is a pompous prick attitude (not you I hasten to add)....or Olympic attitude (but not in Italy.....and they win most :wink: )

Rushing off now......lunching....tooooodles xx

Last edited:
depends what level the shooter wants to reach, agree that not all great coaches were necessarily great themselves and not all great winners make necessarily great or even good coaches.

What sets the truly great competitors ahead of the rest (all Tinks points being in place) is mental discipline, 1. to put the required work and preparation in, 2. to stay totally focused throughout a competition no matter what. No coach in the world can do that for a competitor, " a teacher can take his student to the gate and show them the path but he cannot walk it with them"

Admin Matt, What would be the criteria for a ShootClay badge? Could I even get one :haha:

Latest posts

Back