Coaching Review - a day with Carl Bloxham

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaykaysea

Have seen a bit of discussion on here re coaches so thought I would share my day yesterday with you in case it was of any interest / use to any of you.

Spent the day with Carl yesterday, best Monday I've had in a while....better than work obviously...

Location, I think he will travel but his ground is just outside Stratford, easy to get to, satnav gets you to the airfield, you might need guiding in for the last bit.

Facilities, if you haven't been in the last 3 months, completely different than you might remember, decent Clubhouse, proper toilets (so nice for us girls), shelter if weather not so good, big tree if you need to get in the shade!!

Style, very laid back, but will make you work things out yourself not just tell you what to do which is oh so useful when he Isn't stood on your shoulder...gauges ability and then works at your level, very accommodating to work on whatever you want to (gun position/transistion for me).

Layout, traps of every sort and because it is his ground he can move them to wherever. Also because of his experience as a top shooter himself he will set up tricky angles and work you through them, helping to read targets quicker. He has also got a pattern plate and knows his stuff on gun fit and eye dominance.

Cost, I have been going for a year and there is a fixed cost for the training and then a fixed cost for the number of clays you use, you also take your own cartridges and lunch, if you want it. I usually go with a friend and you then split the cost so yesterday 10 till 4, using 1200 clays cost us £300, so £150 each plus our cartridges. We shot just over 500 each, and probably did about 50 different pairs. You better check with Carl as to the cost, I am not doing this as an advert on his behalf, more a review of my day so not for me to commit him to a price!

I love my days with him, I feel it has moved my shooting on no end and he is very encouraging, always making me feel good and giving me confidence in my improving ability...yesterday he said I had shot the best he had ever seen me shoot and I am still glowing from his comments now.

I think I have covered everything, if anyone wants to know any further detail please ask.

Off to email him now to say thank you and book my next day...

PS others coaches are available....

PPS I know a lot of you on here speak highly of Ed Solomons and I am thinking of giving him a go....you can never have too many coaches (or guns) what do people think? Good to get different tips from different coaches or should you just stick with one?

Last edited by a moderator:
Have seen a bit of discussion on here re coaches so thought I would share my day yesterday with you in case it was of any interest / use to any of you.

Spent the day with Carl yesterday, best Monday I've had in a while....better than work obviously...

Location, I think he will travel but his ground is just outside Stratford, easy to get to, satnav gets you to the airfield, you might need guiding in for the last bit.

Facilities, if you haven't been in the last 3 months, completely different than you might remember, decent Clubhouse, proper toilets (so nice for us girls), shelter if weather not so good, big tree if you need to get in the shade!!

Style, very laid back, but will make you work things out yourself not just tell you what to do which is oh so useful when he Isn't stood on your shoulder...gauges ability and then works at your level, very accommodating to work on whatever you want to (gun position/transistion for me).

Layout, traps of every sort and because it is his ground he can move them to wherever. Also because of his experience as a top shooter himself he will set up tricky angles and work you through them, helping to read targets quicker. He has also got a pattern plate and knows his stuff on gun fit and eye dominance.

Cost, I have been going for a year and there is a fixed cost for the training and then a fixed cost for the number of clays you use, you also take your own cartridges and lunch, if you want it. I usually go with a friend and you then split the cost so yesterday 10 till 4, using 1200 clays cost us £300, so £150 each plus our cartridges. We shot just over 500 each, and probably did about 50 different pairs. You better check with Carl as to the cost, I am not doing this as an advert on his behalf, more a review of my day so not for me to commit him to a price!

I love my days with him, I feel it has moved my shooting on no end and he is very encouraging, always making me feel good and giving me confidence in my improving ability...yesterday he said I had shot the best he had ever seen me shoot and I am still glowing from his comments now.

I think I have covered everything, if anyone wants to know any further detail please ask.

Off to email him now to say thank you and book my next day...

PS others coaches are available....

PPS I know a lot of you on here speak highly of Ed Solomans and I am thinking of giving him a go....you can never have too many coaches (or guns) what do people think? Good to get different tips from different coaches or should you just stick with one?
Gee shucks..! Carl is a top guy and as you have found out really knows his stuff.

Re number of coaches, I tell everyone the same. When you are looking to make a decision on one, try a few. When you have found a good one, stick with him/her.

Not trying to put you off, but I feel people get better results long term if they stick with 1 and develop a relationship with them. Otherwise you can get conflicting advice which can mess you up a bit. Not saying you wouldn't learn anything but a viewpoint to bear in mind!

Ed

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad that you had a good day with Carl; I've had lessons from him in the past and they have been very informative and are probably even more applicable now that i've got a bit more experience.

Completely agree with you about having sessions with other coaches to get their take on which technique(s) to use on targets that are catching you out. Ed's approach is very similar to Carl's in that they are both relaxed and take equal pride and satisfaction in seeing their students destroy targets that previously evaded them. You won't be dissapointed.

Well said , I have a lot of time for Carl he is a true gent in every sence of the word , nothing is too much trouble and he will help out any one

I remember 9 years ago we were in our infancy the barn at Westfield was nothing like it is now and I went and stuck a metal bar through my foot

And was struggling to work the first person to call me was Carl to say I will come tomorrow and help out , brilliant

Steve

Watching Twitter and Facebook today it looks like he might be about to be featured in Clay Shooting magazine....looks like I was a day early to get my picture taken....

Everything you said about him and his coaching is spot on. What a gent!!! When you said there was a big tree " cor what went through my mind" and then I remembered new toilets. As for seeing Ed go for it I don't think it will do you any harm at all, and he might give you maybe only one or two tips more which could amount to another 6 clays in the bag!! I for one am going to see Ed as soon as I can. And be back to see Carl as soon as!! need some rough edges sorting out

Glad you said that :) I had my first lesson with Carl last Saturday and coming back this Saturday :) he recognised my issue straight away and I hope my shooting will grow dramatically as I would like to stay with Carl for longer :)

Over the years I have seen a lot have lessons with Carl when in c and b class and are now a and aa one particular gent from Warwickshire is aaa and capable of winning any shoot he's at

Steve

Well it can't be me as I live in Gloucestershire , actually when I stop and think about it there are two great shots in Warwickshire that started with Carl !!!!!!

It wouldn't be you if you lived in Warwickshire. :haha:   :haha:

It wouldn't be me if I lived.

First is Chris D . , and other maybe Nick H. ,

I know Carl is coaching member of a GB Team but cannot remember name he mentioned

Latest posts

Back