Youth gun

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

move-mount-miss

Has anyone had any experience with the Revo 20g or the Yidiz 20g youths gun? Even new they are not expensive however I don't want to put good money into something not fit for purpose. Looking for my 11 year old lad. Thanks in advance.

Ive got my 11 year old lad on a hatsan 20g auto,i personally think a ou 20g is too thumpy.I have tried him on my 12g and with 24grm shot he says recoil doesnt hurt but you can see he cant stear the 12g so easy but by the end of the year he will be on the 12g.

I have had a Yildiz 20 and 28 bore for both Instruction and the Grandkids use. I borrowed a 'Youth Model' Yildiz in 410 to try for fit for the Grandkids, prior to my buying the 28 bore. All I would say was that I would have to have shortened the stock, even on the Youth model it is 13 1/2" L.O.P. so I bought a second hand standard length 28 bore and had that shortened to 13" with a Kick-Eeze pad. I then bought a dinted wood stock from the Importers in Preston and raised the dent then re-oiled the wood. I now have a short and standard stock for either the 20 or 28 bores (they are the same action). I sold the 20 to a young lady that I was teaching and she wanted to buy the gun, so I now only have the 28 bore. My elder Grandson has been using the 28 with 16 gram cartridge. He is now 13 and has started with a few shots through my 20 bore Beretta, but of course the stock on that is a bit long. He has shot a box of 25 cartridges of 21 gram 7's on 3 occasions and has not had a recoil issue, even with the long stock. He is using 21 grams in the 28 bore too, again without recoil issues. Neither of the 2 Yildiz guns that I have owned have given any trouble and I believe that they are a value for money gun (the side by side being lighter and cheaper). The 20 bore is still going strong and has had several thousand rounds through it now. The 28 has probably had around a thousand rounds and is still a bit tight to open. I do not know which part of the World you are in, but you are welcome to try the 28 bore to get the lad started, if you wish.

That's a very kind offer Westley I'm in rural norfolkshire so a long way from most of civilisation. I would prefer an o/u for safety reasons. It's good to hear that the Yildiz has been reliable. I think they make the Wembley & Scott one also.

My dear lady wife was using a 20g Webley & Scott with the youth stock until recently but could never really get on with it. It was rather barrel heavy and consequently strangely unwieldy. She's now happily using a shortened and balanced Beretta 686.

Our 10 year old really struggled with the W&S, even though it wasn't a bad fit, so he's now got the 20g Yildiz which is better balanced if a little too long in the stock at the moment. He's using 21g Express subsonics which are fine - other 21g carts are still a little thumpy for him. Both the W&S and Yildiz are good value for money in my view, and probably ideal as starter options for a slightly older / bigger child.

I think you may find far more secondhand W & S guns available than Yildiz. I know personally of at least 1 W & S that has spent more time back in the gun shop than out in the field. It is now back in the shop...............period !  I do not understand how the O/U is safer that a S x S, I presume you mean the double trigger thing. I am not sure if the Yildiz S x S is single trigger or not. If you want to play really safely, then stick to a single barrel.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you may find far more secondhand W & S guns available than Yildiz. I know personally of at least 1 W & S that has spent more time back in the gun shop than out in the field. It is now back in the shop...............period !  I do not understand how the O/U is safer that a S x S, I presume you mean the double trigger thing. I am not sure if the Yildiz S x S is single trigger or not. If you want to play really safely, then stick to a single barrel.
The safety thing was in response to Paul b recommending a hatsan auto. I currently have a single barrel investarm 410 for him to use but it's blooming difficult to hit clays with as the barrel is light and the trigger is rather heavy.

The safety thing was in response to Paul b recommending a hatsan auto. I currently have a single barrel investarm 410 for him to use but it's blooming difficult to hit clays with as the barrel is light and the trigger is rather heavy.
Sorry MMM, misunderstood. I have never been a fan of the .410 for youngsters, although I have a Webley with a very short stock which my 8 years old Grandson has been having the odd shot with (so he did not feel left out), I much prefer the 28 and 16 grams as soon as they can lift it unaided. The older lad did have a few shots with my 20 bore and 24 grams, as he straighted the high tower (6 ex 6), I stopped him using it before he developed a sore ear...................from me !

Latest posts

Back