Wide ribs, love 'em or hate 'em?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AFAIC the shape or height of the rib is meaningless - just cosmetic. All I need is a proper fit stock and the rib can be anything. I just use the front bead as a patterning ref and as long as the rib doesn't get between it and my eye it is of no importance. My fave Mirage has three bbls fitted and all have different ribs. But the front bead is the same height above bore CL and I can swap between bbls and never know/care the diff in the ribs. And shooting, of course, I don't even see the bead.

Charlie

Wide ribs were introduced to stop the "mirage" effect due to the heat coming off the barrels.

Im used to the slightly tapered rib on my sporter now, although I dont mind a middle of the road width non tapered one. I dislike very wide, or very tin game style ribs. I am aware of the rib as my eye is a good inch over the top of it, so I see plenty! no beads though, its more of a peripheral vision pointing aid.

The slight taper does seem to lead the eye to the bird better.

bbq-pork-rub.jpg

Wide ribs were introduced to stop the "mirage" effect due to the heat coming off the barrels.
I used to shoot with a guy who used a B25 John Moses trap gun. I think it had a 16mm rib, he reckoned he never got any heat shimmer with that gun.

Latest posts

Back