Wide ribs, love 'em or hate 'em?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Les53

What do you guys think about wide rib guns? Years ago they were all the rage, mainly on trap guns I seem to remember, some were as wide as 16mm, as fitted to the B25 Broadway.It always used to be a hot subject in gun clubs years ago. I have to say that I like them myself, so how about you guys?

Back in the day if you had a Shadow Indy with the spirit level width ribs :.: :cool: , you were the man. If and when I eventually order an own spec gun it'll have 9-5 ribs or thereabouts, thinner is more accurate mefeels.

I used to have a Shadow Indy trap gun that was used for every thing. I didn't really notice the rib at first but when I bought my first 682 it seemed more precise to shoot.

Around 11-12mm (1/2" ish) suits me the best. It just seems to follow the natural width of the eye down the rib, and give a better sight picture. 3800 + GTI Trap again, just can't seem to get away from them? Wider ribs just do not seem right at all, have shot with some, but not for me. Narrow ribs, i tend to point more? Its what you get used to, and feels right i suppose.

Back in the day if you had a Shadow Indy with the spirit level width ribs :.: :cool: , you were the man. If and when I eventually order an own spec gun it'll have 9-5 ribs or thereabouts, thinner is more accurate mefeels.
Ah yes......The Shadow Indy, like looking down/along the M1 motorway! I tried one once, I did OK with it too. :.:

Around 11-12mm (1/2" ish) suits me the best. It just seems to follow the natural width of the eye down the rib, and give a better sight picture. 3800 + GTI Trap again, just can't seem to get away from them? Wider ribs just do not seem right at all, have shot with some, but not for me. Narrow ribs, i tend to point more? Its what you get used to, and feels right i suppose.
I'm think my 1991 3800 trap is a 13mm. My MK38 was only 10mm, I think they stopped making the 13mm. :unsure:

I'm think my 1991 3800 trap is a 13mm. My MK38 was only 10mm, I think they stopped making the 13mm. :unsure:
You may well be right, but i did say around and ish. Cannot be bothered to get them out just to measure the ribs correctly.

You may well be right, but i did say around and ish. Cannot be bothered to get them out just to measure the ribs correctly.
Oh go on, you know you want to Mick!!!! . !! :wink: :.: :.:

Last edited by a moderator:
. !!!! :.: :.: My old springer hated guns! She didn't even like air rifles! :.:
Ahh Bless!

My dog is not bothered by any knocks or bangs, the bitch though hates fireworks, but not bothered about gunfire?

They both get a little glint in the eye when i get a torch out though, and thats only to see them in the garden, when i let them out at night.

Even worse if i get the leads out!!!!!!! ;)

Ahh Bless!

My dog is not bothered by any knocks or bangs, the bitch though hates fireworks, but not bothered about gunfire?

They both get a little glint in the eye when i get a torch out though, and thats only to see them in the garden, when i let them out at night.

Even worse if i get the leads out!!!!!!! ;)
We don't get too many fireworks where I live Mick, we have one or two regular displays a year down at the harbour, but the coastguard are not keen on too many rockets going up in case they are mistaken for flares or in case a flare is masked by a rocket display. All part of the fun of living in a coastal village I guess! :wink:

You were correct Les. 13mm wide. Starting off at 10mm from the breach. (66mm length of taper appx) Extra wide not keen on. Narrow (6-8mm) have used, but not favoured. My old 686 sporter, i believe had a 10mm rib, with a reddish blade front sight. (early 90's) Although a nice little gun, i always seemed to have to try a bit harder to shoot with it.

So to sum up 10-13mm ribs for me, but best of all Spare Ribs :D

I confess to struting my stuff on the skeet layouts with a Shadow Indy. The rib was also very useful to rest my fags and a coffee on. :D

I do have a liking for the 682ex trap with the high tapered rib, to my mind, this is a very slick sighting plane.

Phil

An old timer very good friend of mine (in fact he was my mentor) in the mid 80s had a browning summat or other imported from USA with a VERY wide and high rib. No one had ever seen one before dont know what model but none of us could shoot it including him, must have been at least 15mm wide.

Oh in answer to your question No I dont like wide ribs 10mm is right for me.

An old timer very good friend of mine (in fact he was my mentor) in the mid 80s had a browning summat or other imported from USA with a VERY wide and high rib. No one had ever seen one before dont know what model but none of us could shoot it including him, must have been at least 15mm wide.

Oh in answer to your question No I dont like wide ribs 10mm is right for me.
I used to see a few guns like the one you mention, mainly when I used to shoot at RAF Bentwaters, which was actually a US Air base.The Yanks did love their big high and wide ribs, some were single barrel too, but some of those Yanks REALLY could shoot them!!!

I confess to struting my stuff on the skeet layouts with a Shadow Indy. The rib was also very useful to rest my fags and a coffee on. :D

I do have a liking for the 682ex trap with the high tapered rib, to my mind, this is a very slick sighting plane.

Phil
I had a couple of 682X's for DTL. I don't recall them being tapered though, just high and heavy! :D Yeh the Shadow Indy was definately a trendy bit of kit in it's day Phil. :wink:

Latest posts

Back