What's the ideal sporting stand size to suit disabled shooters

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Bartlett

Hi,

I am looking at making some stands for sporting and i want them to be user friendly for everyone including disabled shooters. I have seen posts in the past from people complaining about stand size not being any good for disabled shooters so before i go and make a load what do people think?

Also what do people like temporary stands to be made of. I want them to be portable so that i can move them about. I have seen some made of wood, some of plumbers waste pipes. Metal with padding, metal without padding. I don't want shooters to be able to move them whilst in the stand as they will need to be positioned to limit shooting angles and lines.

Any ideas and opinions would be appreciated. 

Paul and Alec will be along shortly, they are the guys to ask. Keep the cross piece at the front of the cage (if there is one) low as high cross bars can be a pain. 

Thought about using plastic drain pipe with elbows and t pieces, nice and light, non damaging to the gun and can be broken down easily? Ive thought about it, but never got round to trying it.

The diagram in the rules for sportrap and I think ESP is very good but the main thing is making the bar at the front removable so a seated(wheelchair user)can get his/her legs under and also be able to swing the gun without hitting your arms on the cross bar.If you are realy tight on angles a rope could be tied across to stop any seated shooters going to far forward as its easily altered.  

Plastic pipe from Builders Merchant is perfect , light , transportable, breaks down for packing away.

Once erected secure with Road Work Irons (pigsticks)at each corner.

Wooden ones are good, but timber is fragile and can be heavy and cumbersome .

Metal ones are better weighed in for scrap.

Paul and Alec will be along shortly, they are the guys to ask. Keep the cross piece at the front of the cage (if there is one) low as high cross bars can be a pain. 

Thought about using plastic drain pipe with elbows and t pieces, nice and light, non damaging to the gun and can be broken down easily? Ive thought about it, but never got round to trying it.
The trouble is with the plastic plumbers pipe version is the cost. I'm in the trade and it would still cost me a lot of money to make 1 stand. I think this is the most expensive option even for me. Also they are very light and would need fixing down somehow to prevent shooters moving the cage.

The diagram in the rules for sportrap and I think ESP is very good but the main thing is making the bar at the front removable so a seated(wheelchair user)can get his/her legs under and also be able to swing the gun without hitting your arms on the cross bar.If you are realy tight on angles a rope could be tied across to stop any seated shooters going to far forward as its easily altered.  
Thanks i have a copy of that printed already i just want to see if that is big enough or could be improved in any way before making a dozen or so. I like the rope idea maybe with eyelets on the front of the cage so it can be moved up or down to suit.

Plastic pipe from Builders Merchant is perfect , light , transportable, breaks down for packing away.

Once erected secure with Road Work Irons (pigsticks)at each corner.

Wooden ones are good, but timber is fragile and can be heavy and cumbersome .

Metal ones are better weighed in for scrap.
That's the one thing that's putting me off making them out of metal. The fear of people coming along and nicking them to weigh them in!!

make some from 50mm hdpe solvent weld fill with water and drain to move

My local ground has them made out of wood and they move them around a fair bit. instead of using a wooded crossbar couldn't you have eyelets in the front like mentioned and have some at different heights the stretch a bungee cord across so it can be altered and removed if necessary for wheel chair users.

The ones i've seen made out of 50mm drainage pipe seem to be good looking, durable and practical.

A couple of mods though.

Make the base open at the back, rolling a chair over a 50 mm pipe would be no fun.

Make the two sides glued up permanently, tee pieces where the cross braces go.

To assemble clip in the crosspieces and hold together with bungy cords.

Make some 'pegs' out of 8mm rebar. 3 will keep the stand firmly in place.

You end up with side pieces, a stack of cross pieces and a bag of bungies.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gents can I just say drainage pipes might be ok for disabled sitting shooters ,but they are a nightmare for disabled standing shooters.The one at last years British open on the high driven and then the looper 180 deg behind you it just fell to pieces when I touched it. We don't all have the balance ,and some times need something to grab hold of in my opinion the best stands are made of 1 inch box section welded together and pegged to the floor . For easy moving 2 small wheels can be fixed 25 mm off the floor ,when the cage is tipped forward you can wheel then where you like . Please remember they are safety cages in the end .

Deershooter

Tinker bell said:
I would not point out that you are potentially unstable with a gun if I were you.....just saying
Only when people disign twatish stands for disabled people with no idea

At no time have I been dangerous or unsafe with a gun in my hand at any registered shoot

I remember that stand , and to be fair the ground wasn't entirely level and you did a complete 180 turn quite quick to shoot the looper behind , it made me want to grab hold of the stand sometimes .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Mike, I can help you with the design if you like? pm me. 

Latest posts

Back