What next after Dubai ?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ryanair? B/A flights ar'ent cheap plus the extra baggage pus £50 .00 each way for the gun?

The reason a lot of UK fitasc shooters opted out was lack of promotion (no adverts in magazines months before hand) no info on the shoot at all, just the prize money.

If you thnk that it will get 100 FITASC shooters dream on! especially if the costs are increased.
I priced a return flight from Glasgow-Dubai at £350...

£373 from Birmingham (and similar price from London) with 30kg weight allowance - nothing extra for guns.

Premier inn (very nice, pool, free wifi etc) near the ground with bus transportation laid on - £350 for 7 nights.

Lovely opening dinner (bus transport laid on)

Free food, drinks and wifi at ground.

Happy people everywhere enjoying the shooting - free from lots of the usual moaners ;-)

I'm in - do you think we'll get discount for group bookings next year? 

Was there any problems with guns when you got there ?

I had heard they hold them till you get to the ground, not sure if that's true ?

I for one would be up for it next year, bet it will be full with a waiting list, now the first one was a success. :nyam:

That's assuming it is an annual event :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
At the airport, we went to security/police who checked our passports and details and issued us with a numbered tag. Took a while but worked out OK...

At the ground, the guns were kept in secure containers and guarded by police at the access to the shooting ranges. We handed in the tags that we were given at the airport and were given our guns. We had to check our guns back in before being allowed back into the general site after shooting.

Very easy so far ... Let's hope it is as easy at the airport! We have all registered our flight details so think just pick up and check in and then collect again at UK airport.

Although I am relatively new to shooting and have no chance of getting anywhere near the money, I'm definitely up for this next year.

I go shooting because I enjoy it, not because of how much money I could (potentially) win. And it's not just the shooing, it' the whole package for me,  the social side is just as enjoyable.

Also it is one of the very few, it not only sports that you get to compete with the really top shots/world champions etc.

Yes, it will be a holiday, Yes, I will probably miss almost every target, Yes, it might cost a few quid. but I will have great time non the less.

Far from fizzling out, I think this event is just going to get bigger and bigger.

My only fear is, the event could be a game changer in respect of who gets to attend. At the moment, as far as I'm aware, anyone can enter any of the big competitions, with no pre qualifying history.

if next year is as big as this year, and every indication is that it will be. Could we see this becoming an event were Joe public have to qualify?

Gene

We don't know if the event had any ulterior motives like attracting people to visit the UAE and spending money in the hotels and potentially elsewhere as well as offering a great shooting experience to UAE shooters and for their future training.

It is all about aspiration for the Dubai shooters. Ahmad has stated this. He wants to make strong shooters. Nothing to do with hotel trade. Dubai is open for business 24/7 in all areas from finance to the Art trade. It is a perfect half way between USA and Australia. Lots of business now goes through Dubai.....true story

Last edited:
It is all about aspiration for the Dubai shooters. Ahmad has stated this. He wants to make strong shooters. Nothing to do with hotel trade. Dubai is open for business 24/7 in all areas from finance to the Art trade. It is a perfect half way between USA and Australia. Lots of business now goes through Dubai.....true story
This. 

500 hotel rooms (if it was indeed 500 - probably closer to 400 with couples/sharers) @ average of $1000 for the week = if the organisers *could* charge an affiliate fee (or tax)  of 20% would yield approx $100,000. (or 10% of next years prize fund). I suppose you could double that take if food/drink could yield the same taxes. 

Not exactly going to cover many costs or put money in the hosts pocket...  this model only really works in convention cities like Vegas or Atlanta - where 25,000 rooms are taken for a period of time...In the long run, it would work - but there isn't enough margin in this. 

Nope - I think his model is to do this for the passion, the commercials might come later.  

I don't understand all this talk about how much it costs to shoot there or anywhere else for that matter. If Mr average can afford it then he or she can jolly well shoot were he or she likes. Sounds like a hoot to me free shoot, free food and drink and sun. What's not to like, pity it wasn't an OT shoot.

As for the concept of big money big profile shoot well it has to be good for all surely. Surprised there was not more than 500 entries though as you get that at a DTL major in wet old blighty.

I don't understand all this talk about how much it costs to shoot there or anywhere else for that matter. If Mr average can afford it then he or she can jolly well shoot were he or she likes. Sounds like a hoot to me free shoot, free food and drink and sun. What's not to like, pity it wasn't an OT shoot.

As for the concept of big money big profile shoot well it has to be good for all surely. Surprised there was not more than 500 entries though as you get that at a DTL major in wet old blighty.
I imagine that there will be 3x (well, at least double...) as many next year, if there is no limit... I hope to attend this in a few years time if it still going but I am not up to the standard yet.

I imagine that there will be 3x (well, at least double...) as many next year, if there is no limit... I hope to attend this in a few years time if it still going but I am not up to the standard yet.
Not fussed about being up to standard, I'm just going for the chance to shoot a major comp and have a good time :)

Nick

you enter these events because they are exactly that, events. If the only people who entered even normal Sunday comp were those that thought realistically they could win there would only ever be a handful of entries. If you fancy the idea do it while you can that's my mantra for all things in life. Also i believe that majors bring out that little extra in us all so what if you don't win so what if you don't shoot well its better than staying at home watching cack on tv.

Nick

you enter these events because they are exactly that, events. If the only people who entered even normal Sunday comp were those that thought realistically they could win there would only ever be a handful of entries. If you fancy the idea do it while you can that's my mantra for all things in life. Also i believe that majors bring out that little extra in us all so what if you don't win so what if you don't shoot well its better than staying at home watching cack on tv.
From what I heard about the targets, I'd be lucky to hit any, Ian..... I agree that it is about the participation but for my own satisfaction, I feel that I am way off this.

Also would have the wife to agree, which might take a few years......

Nick

From what I heard about the targets, I'd be lucky to hit any, Ian..... I agree that it is about the participation but for my own satisfaction, I feel that I am way off this.

Also would have the wife to agree, which might take a few years......
Just think of it as extreme practice.
BTW. the wife's coming as well

We will be there next year instead of paying exorbitant fees for Florida events! While they don't have the experience of setting proper targets (call Syreel!!) and they don't follow FITASC rules on target presentations and doubles (call Syreel), it is an interesting venue to meet and mingle with many of my International friends while shooting some stupid targets with free ammo!

Henry

Nothing stupid about the targets, a refreshing change from the 25 yard dog turds you see at the euros and worlds. Ill be first to sign up for next year, already can't wait!

Nothing stupid about the targets, a refreshing change from the 25 yard dog turds you see at the euros and worlds. Ill be first to sign up for next year, already can't wait!
Congratulations to you Mr S,  A good result from what i see  :)

Mart

Back