What next after Dubai ?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hamster

It was predictable that after this event people would be looking around thinking we've been doing it all wrong all these years, that somehow the targets aren't far enough or tricky enough ! Without wishing to tread on any toes this thread is going to have a blunt theme to it, there is absolutely nothing wrong with ESP or Fitasc targets or for that matter the talented shooters who (only just) didn't make it onto the winners lists.

The idea that we should start toughening up Fitasc difficulty just for the sake of Dubai next year is almost laughable if not downright naive. Why is that then ? Do our esteemed B or bottom end A class shooters think they're suddenly going to become long distance target demons ? You can't bloody hit them at 40 yards.

We did well as Tinker bell showed in hard factual terms, yes it hurts not having had a Brit win outright but that is the only real thing we need to address and that will only happen through our top end talent anyway. Rather than get our boxers in a twist we need to concentrate and spend the money exactly where it will do the most good and that I'm afraid is not you or me but the likes of Bramley, Howland, Biddlescombe, Stirzaker, Brightman, Childerhouse, Solomons, etc etc. People like Faulds and Digweed will have the sponsorship and resources to do their own preparations make no mistake, but the people who need to do intensive training on hard Fitasc type clays are the likes of those mentioned already and for that we need a fighting fund to raise money to pay for grounds to set appropriate targets for THEM.

We need to find a high profile person like Rutherford, Heron, Lovatt etc, to assume responsibility for collecting the funds and spending it where it will do the most good. If such a fund can be agreed upon I pledge £100 for this year.

Wooah - don't put me in that high profile bracket. 

Agree with the sentiment though. 

Agreed. We have the shooting talent. They all figured well in the event. It is purely a head game at a good old tough Fitasc event like this. You rarely tell who will win from the beginning. I have talked to several people who shot it from a few countries. They all said it was like old style distance Fitasc. These were extreme birds and clever birds. They were not 'new miracle birds. What added to the head game (at first on the practice day) was the 'unknown cartridges', the sand background giving optical illusion as no markers like trees etc to pick up target speed or proper line. However after the first day they all dusted themselves down and dug in and focused.

Any fund raising for Fitasc sporting or Compak is dealt with by the 2 Fitasc directors on BICTSF (Woodward and Fairburn) so send your ideas to them peeps. I have no time to get involved in fundraising for a discipline I no longer shoot :wink: but best of luck with sending ideas to Bictsf

I personnally cannot see this shoot going anywhere next year, you can recon to loose 30%  of this years shooters due to the target difficulty! also costs are reputed to be

£1000.00 to £2000.00  per shooter? how many are going  pay this sort of money  just to party and eat lobster thermidor for lunch and be crucified by the targets?

Joe Numpty has'ent got a hope in hell of winning any money!  so whats he going to get out of it? a suntan, a fat belly, and maybe shoot on a squad with a "Star"  well you can do that every year at the World Fitasc C/ship.

Guru....lots of shooters pay a lot more than that each year chasing the World Cup, with the legs in different countries. This event in Dubai is like all top events for money but just has more of it....(Qatar Cup, Green Cup, Perazzi Grand Italia's, King's Cups in Spain etc etc). They all pay good money....they all draw good shooters....and will continue to do so.

I agree that some have gone for a holiday and may not go again..but that does not refer to the serious competition shooters and the Fitasc shooters.

The feedback I have been getting from several countries....is...'bring it on 2015'.....we will be there with more people.

It will be a sell out with a waiting list.....I will have a bet with you on that.

You havent coughed up for the 500  "International" shooters yet! :fie:   :crazy:

I personnally cannot see this shoot going anywhere next year, you can recon to loose 30%  of this years shooters due to the target difficulty! also costs are reputed to be

£1000.00 to £2000.00  per shooter? how many are going  pay this sort of money  just to party and eat lobster thermidor for lunch and be crucified by the targets?

Joe Numpty has'ent got a hope in hell of winning any money!  so whats he going to get out of it? a suntan, a fat belly, and maybe shoot on a squad with a "Star"  well you can do that every year at the World Fitasc C/ship.
Don't agree - plenty of 'B, C & D' class shooters go off to the Worlds and Europeans at considerable personal expense - I spent probably £1000 going to Madrid last year and really enjoyed it.  I still got a beating from the targets (and the heat), but I'd go again tomorrow.

The point is - if the shoot is good, the organisation is good, the social is good, and the weather is good - people will go, whether they can win or not. 

Your reaction to this shoot has been highly cynical all the way through... even the success of the shoot over the last week, and the reports of good times being had by shooters who will never win, or will sometimes win - has not dissuaded you from your opinion.  

I doubt whether anything can.  That's fine, you are entitled to your opinion. 

My view - it'll be full next year, and it'll be more expensive.  And god willing, the excitement will be just as high.  Modern shooting needs these events to stretch the top of the game, to make organisers aspire  to be better, and to inspire shooters to be better. 

You havent coughed up for the 500  "International" shooters yet! :fie:   :crazy:
Oh - and PS...

552 shooters

16 from the UAE

That makes 536 from 47 other nations... is that 'international' enough for you? 

We were talking "International" shooters     meaning shooters that travel  regularly overseas to Fitasc shoots, not  wannabees who will go once and never be seen again!

We were talking "International" shooters     meaning shooters that travel  regularly overseas to Fitasc shoots, not  wannabees who will go once and never be seen again!
What qualifies them 'guru'? 

Who should we exclude from the list?

You have access to list of shooters now - I want to know who YOU think is a wannabee... 

I rather enjoyed the lobster for lunch and the amazing hospitality in all respects.

But most of all I enjoyed the targets. They got the better of me for most of the week, but on the last layout I shot a half respectable score after I gained the confidence to push my gun and put some big leads on the targets.

I will definitely return as joint 20th (unfortunately 21st on countback! Oops) is not where I want to be and I know I can do better.

The shoot was a great challenge and there were very few moans from those who were actually there!!!!

The cream rose to the top - with GB's two top ladies in the final, and the top fitasc and distance men Bramley and Broomy in the men's final.

All in all - AMAZING!

So, will it change UK shooting? Hopefully a little bit. I would like to see a few more big targets at UK grounds to give more of a challenge and make it a bit more fun. There is nothing more satisfying than chucking 30 foot lead on a target and then seeing it break! :)

Gawd Guru, ave a word with yourself. :sweat:   :download:

Well this wannabee would have been there had I been able.

I'll endeavour to be there next year, not because I will win anything but because I can be there, yes a holiday, great food (beats some ramshackled, damp hut that at best suppliers a dried up burger for lunch)  to take part, to watch other more skilled shooters compete, see how I fair against them, who knows I may even pull a rabit out of the hat and come 150th :haha:  but most of all I will have had a great time enjoying what I do most. I will bring my son who will be 16 then, he'll also have a great time doing what he enjoys most and learning from the experience.

In life / sport you have to try all the things you can,  make your judgements and do them again if enjoyable, that's why I'll shoot most of the majors this year.

By the way I don't shoot FITASC normally as the cost are a little prohibitive for me

Pm me you address and i will send the cheque. I always pay my bets. They did not make 1000 this year that is fact.

Or you could take double or quits for next year...either way...let me know on PM :wink:

I rather enjoyed the lobster for lunch and the amazing hospitality in all respects.

But most of all I enjoyed the targets. They got the better of me for most of the week, but on the last layout I shot a half respectable score after I gained the confidence to push my gun and put some big leads on the targets.

I will definitely return as joint 20th (unfortunately 21st on countback! Oops) is not where I want to be and I know I can do better.

The shoot was a great challenge and there were very few moans from those who were actually there!!!!

The cream rose to the top - with GB's two top ladies in the final, and the top fitasc and distance men Bramley and Broomy in the men's final.

All in all - AMAZING!

So, will it change UK shooting? Hopefully a little bit. I would like to see a few more big targets at UK grounds to give more of a challenge and make it a bit more fun. There is nothing more satisfying than chucking 30 foot lead on a target and then seeing it break! :)
And you shot well Sara ...only one place off getting in the money ...well done..!

All in all - AMAZING!

You wannabee!    :haha:

For goodness sake get a grip all of you especially Cyril.

I don't think there is anything wrong with Cyril at all, he is just very very protective of English FITASC and English Shooters.

He moans about the Yanks as well as the Cypriots, who don't forget have ruined the British Chip shop industry.

So let us all calm down and enjoy the targets that Steve Lovatt and Hodnet put on, shoot them regular and learn to cope with distance and Lead.

You also have to hit all the easy close ones as well as the occasional big boomer. I think if we actually did a true scientific analysis of targets, wind, background, and order of layout you will actually find that the conditions varied considerably and just possibly Geben had the run of the ball whilst George dropped it. But that aside it will be interesting to hear why the 'names' such as RF, MM, SG, KH, KM. appeared to struggle or at best under perform.

Personally I think it will be full with a waiting list next year, you wont get better treatment at any other event even if you're Joe Bloggs.

There was a lot of top UK shooters who did not go due to it being an unknown event and sounding too good to be true.

Everyone who won prize money was paid in cash, entry fee was paid back in cash, food and refreshments were free, some hotels had busses to and from the ground and taxi's were cheap as chips.

All they've had to pay for was the flight, hotel and as much or little spending money as you please. It could be done for less than £1000.

Ryanair?  B/A  flights ar'ent cheap plus the extra baggage pus £50 .00 each way for the gun?

The reason a lot of UK  fitasc shooters opted out was lack of  promotion  (no adverts in magazines months before hand)  no info on the shoot at all, just the prize money.

If you thnk that it will get 100 FITASC shooters dream on! especially if the costs are increased.

Back