What is this shotgun game?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mortum

Hi guys,

I saw this video on YouTube (now gone) of a strange but interesting shotgun game: there was a huge installation of concentric circles divided by segments with a number in each segment (1 through... ?) and shooters had to shoot clay targets before those would fly through those numbered segments. The video was from UK. What is this shotgun game? Never seen that before...

Thanks!

http://www.starshot1.co.uk/index.html

I believe a new web site will be launched soon

John Bridges, runs Starshot now, you'll see him around various events including CLA and other game fairs.

I think its great fun and its NOT trick shooting as many would have you believe.

If you see it around dive in and have a go, great prizes for the finals   

Yep, that's it! Thanks. As for seeing it around... no such thing here in US as far as I know.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's great fun. Far as I know John has the rights to it. Used to be televised in the UK it's not cheap new but runs all on manual traps so is labour intensive. Would be great to get it in the US aswel I'm sure you

I'm almost certain that its been to the US?  A J Smith and Anthea Hillier and others starred in it.

Yep starshot. We used to shot it in the back field at Bywel in late 80s during the English DTL open. Good fun from what I remember but no one seemed to be able to beat Mr AJ Smith ;)

Yes I rememeber it. About 24" ish no choke ;)

It used to be shot from a raised platform but I don't think they do this now. Also used to have some weird pairs thing as in two shooters not two clays. It was expensive but there was good money in it as it was run like a pool shoot. It took is a few goes before we got the point at the section call for target and pull trigger at the same time. The big sections lulled you into a false sense of security as they were pretty easy but the small sections were a tad tricky. Last time I saw it was 2014 at the north Yorkshire game fare, I waited around to watch someone shoot it but got bored and wet after 15mins.

I remember this on the telly back in the day. Also I've seen it at a few Game Fairs, pretty sure it was at Catton Park (Nr Litchfield) a couple of years ago.

Not too sure my 32" Sporter would be the weapon of choice however.

I shot it at a fete with a browning 28" skeet gun, I missed the first 2 and the lady running it said "hold your gun in the segment and when the clay appears in the corner at the bottom just pull your trigger"  it worked, no gun movement.

Not too sure my 32" Sporter would be the weapon of choice however.
Probably not mate. As tinker eludes too after a few years a few notable characters got pretty handy at it and "adapted" guns to suit. By adapting we mean hacksaw about 6" off the end and don't worry about choke. I might be dreaming this but I also seem to remember that after a few folk got good at it a target release delay was introduced (don't quote me on this though as it may be just a dream)

I shot it at a fete with a browning 28" skeet gun, I missed the first 2 and the lady running it said "hold your gun in the segment and when the clay appears in the corner at the bottom just pull your trigger"  it worked, no gun movement.
Exactly it was a "pull" and pull trigger a milli second after that seemed to work, but not if you got a slow pull ;)

it was on at the CLA game fair at Blenheim Palace  last year .very fast game, no time to `track` a target ! 

Ambush the target that's what is required

I think I recall some pretty strange stances, didn't people used to lean over when shooting the targets?

Shot it quite recently. Great fun.

John is a lovely bloke. He and his son Josh are really good at it, as you would expect I suppose

Latest posts

Back