Vests and Insurance

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeeJay

A couple of quick questions here from a beginner…

1) I’ve decided I need some kind of shooting vest in summer, so that I can carry the shells around when clay shooting. Having looked online, I can’t work out what the difference is between shotgun vests and skeet vests. Is it technical, or fashion, or a statement of competence. My shooting is already laughable enough without me turning up in the wrong gear.

2) While perusing these pages I noticed comments about insurance, something I admit that I hadn’t even thought about. Do most of you do this and if so, is there a recommended company; obviously as a beginner I don’t really know what to look for.

Any help would be most gratefully received.

No.

But whatever vest suits you best - they are the same thing. There are a few threads on here about different types but if you are starting out a Jack Pike one should sort you. Other brands are available but to get a decent one you are talking £100+.

Insurance is optional - there is no legal requirement. Most household policies should pick up the public liability risk but check the exclusions. The easiest solution is to join the CPSA as the required public liability insurance comes with the membership. You are then set up to do their competitions and they will log your scores. Other options are available however so I am sure others will chip in.

I’d have a really good look and see if ‘ Public Liability ‘ on home insurance covers you for shooting someone ! . I believe that would fall under personal liability. I think the public liability on a house policy is for claims from the public arising from damage caused by the property , tree falls on a car , slate falls and hits a visitor , that type of thing . If you need an insurance provider , and you’re not planning on shooting registered competitions BASC offers more benefits for your membership £ . Both organisations are equally good at rolling over and not fighting for lead shot …….

I've had a couple of skeet vests, and TBH the £25 one I got from Decathlon is the same quality as the Browning one I paid £100 for . Not ventured into the Castellani price bracket, can't see the point.

I've had a couple of skeet vests, and TBH the £25 one I got from Decathlon is the same quality as the Browning one I paid £100 for . Not ventured into the Castellani price bracket, can't see the point.
The Decathalon clay shooting mitts ( fingerless ) are one of the great shooting bargains out there as well .

As others there is no real difference between "skeet" & "sporting" vests, there are numerous brands/designs/materials all though are a waistcoat with large pockets and have same function, personally Ive currently both a Fiocchi (mesh fabric which Id say is lightweight) and a Hull (full cotton - medium weight) vest, the latter with four pockets whereas most have just the two, as for what to go for, its really whatever most appeals to you. Over the years Ive gone through Musto, Perazzi, Jack Pike and two Berettas all of which, bar a 1980s Beretta fell apart stitching wise, this though probably just bad luck but most probably just wear and tear.
Insurance personally Id say these days is a must, some online research as to what best covers your need.
As for shooting, just enjoy yourself, learn and your own pace, its an addictive hobby

Martin. Probably should have stressed the PL cover required is under the contents section (and quite possibly repeated under any All Risks extension) and picks up the bulk of the potential liabilities of property occupation (not ownership which is under the buildings section) and also the liabilities which might arise from the Insured's day to day life. The phrase 'public liability' describes who the liability is owed to - i.e. the public - and with a household policy the liability will always arise from our 'personal' activities. Each policy needs to be checked however but I know mine was OK for shooting when I looked. Unfortunately PL cover under household policies is an over complex area of insurance law hence the 'activity' based cover we are sold with memberships such as the CPSA - sometimes we already have the cover but it's better to be safe than sorry.

Agree that BASC is a good alternative but if if you later want to do CPSA competitions you might end up with duplicated cover ??

A couple of quick questions here from a beginner…

1) I’ve decided I need some kind of shooting vest in summer, so that I can carry the shells around when clay shooting. Having looked online, I can’t work out what the difference is between shotgun vests and skeet vests. Is it technical, or fashion, or a statement of competence. My shooting is already laughable enough without me turning up in the wrong gear.

2) While perusing these pages I noticed comments about insurance, something I admit that I hadn’t even thought about. Do most of you do this and if so, is there a recommended company; obviously as a beginner I don’t really know what to look for.

Any help would be most gratefully received.
1) Blaser Parcours
2) Sports Cover Direct. £20.

Whatever vest you decide to buy, I would avoid buying 'on line' unless you have previously checked the sizes. I have an XL Browning skeet vest. A current size in the same vest, to fit me is XXL . A Beretta vest is XXXL ?

I don't know why they do that, I recently bought a Beretta shooting vest and the size was about 2 sizes larger than my M&S size. It's enough to put people off, it's like admitting you have been eating too many pies.

I’ve bought the Jack pyke vest. I won’t say which size I’ve had to go for, but I’ve clearly answered the question “who ate all the pies”. 😳

With insurance, I’ve noticed they all offer different things, at different prices. The three main things to select are public liability, personal injury and equipment cover. It’s a minefield knowing what to get, although public liability is the main thing I assume.

I’ve bought the Jack pyke vest. I won’t say which size I’ve had to go for, but I’ve clearly answered the question “who ate all the pies”. 😳

With insurance, I’ve noticed they all offer different things, at different prices. The three main things to select are public liability, personal injury and equipment cover. It’s a minefield knowing what to get, although public liability is the main thing I assume.
Yes , you are right , despite clay shooting being one of the safest participant sports there is, with a very low probability of an incident , an incident could have the potential for very high consequences . If you ever intend to shoot live game , then the proximity of other participants , beaters , dogs etc make the probability of an incident greater .

In terms of gun insurance you have to wonder if it’s worth doing as it’s difficult to see a scenario where guns will be significantly damaged and a claim is worthwhile v 5 years of premiums . Having said that my LV home insurance covers individual guns up to £3k each as standard , I think my £6k gun added about £80 a year . Obviously having a gun stolen is a big loss , but if it ever happens , the value lost is the least of your problems !

PS. Pie eating good … rabbit food bad

Here’s a daft question that I accept in advance is a newbie thing…

Is it okay to wear a Jack Pyke Skeet vest in the rain? Or will it ruin the cotton/suede?

I did say it was a daft question.

or any other shooting vest for that matter. I have been getting away with it for years, if it's raining I put on a lightweight rain coat and wear my shooting vest over the top so I still have access to the pockets which is the most important part.
I have not noticed any problems, I think that tightening of the vest goes back to the pies rather than shrinkage.

I don't know why they do that, I recently bought a Beretta shooting vest and the size was about 2 sizes larger than my M&S size. It's enough to put people off, it's like admitting you have been eating too many pies.

Yep, in my case the Italian sizes were on the (much) smaller end of the vanity-sizing-spectrum as well. I guess Italians are just differently shaped?

When I started out, I bought a cotton Beretta vest - which I then left in the cupboard over the summer and turned to a mesh vest. I tried a few options and was later gifted a Castellani vest (after providing measurements) which I admit fits me better than any of the other vests and came with embroidered name, country and flag stuff. Not the first thing to shell out on when starting, that's for sure, but certainly a nice gift that I have enjoyed for years now.

For really wet weather I have a Beretta dry film jacket that has vest-like outside pockets: It fits well and I bought it on a Beretta e-sale occassion for not very much money. Worth looking at, but it does feel different when shooting. Of course I really dislike shooting in the rain, but there are no palm-trees in my immediate vicinity or future.

Decathlon also sells a belt with pouches on either side: Cheap, does the job and I keep one in my car for when a mate wants to join or the rare occassion when it is too warm for even a mesh vest. Would also work for when you have a wet-weather jacket on.

TLDR: Size is more important than brand and you don't need to spend a fortune. Have an option for sunny weather and one for rain and just go out and shoot. And always bring a towel.

Yep, in my case the Italian sizes were on the (much) smaller end of the vanity-sizing-spectrum as well. I guess Italians are just differently shaped?

When I started out, I bought a cotton Beretta vest - which I then left in the cupboard over the summer and turned to a mesh vest. I tried a few options and was later gifted a Castellani vest (after providing measurements) which I admit fits me better than any of the other vests and came with embroidered name, country and flag stuff. Not the first thing to shell out on when starting, that's for sure, but certainly a nice gift that I have enjoyed for years now.

For really wet weather I have a Beretta dry film jacket that has vest-like outside pockets: It fits well and I bought it on a Beretta e-sale occassion for not very much money. Worth looking at, but it does feel different when shooting. Of course I really dislike shooting in the rain, but there are no palm-trees in my immediate vicinity or future.

Decathlon also sells a belt with pouches on either side: Cheap, does the job and I keep one in my car for when a mate wants to join or the rare occassion when it is too warm for even a mesh vest. Would also work for when you have a wet-weather jacket on.

TLDR: Size is more important than brand and you don't need to spend a fortune. Have an option for sunny weather and one for rain and just go out and shoot. And always bring a towel.
I know I’m going to regret asking this, but what’s the towel for.

Latest posts

Back