Trigger adjustment

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Centrepin

I recently purchased a new (to me) gun. I fired around a slab the first week and a slab this last week. First week I didn't notice anything but yesterday my finger became sore, on the yellow mark below. My son fired around 100 through my gun and said his finger was destroyed.  He is a little smaller than me, but has a stronger grip. We both fire similar styles.

I'm seeing a coach early in the new year to get the correct fit. I'll probably be putting at least another slab though this week, christmas week and new year week so it's a fair amount of useage to bash my finger.

Is it worth a small adjustment in the mean time to try and correct this?

If so, which way, forward or backwards and my how much roughly or is it trial and error. I can see it's just a small Allen key and slide.

20191216_134154.jpg

20191216_133509.jpg

Thanks everyone, I'll move it forward a touch and see how I go.

I need it as right as poss for this weekend. I'm an invited guest on a very competitive normally members only shoot and don't want to disgrace myself in front of others on not only my first invite but my first competitive event. 

Every little helps as they say. 

👍

Definitely forward judging by where you’ve indicated the pain.

I’m also curious to know whether it’s finger pain or skin irritation i.e is the trigger sharp around the edge? I ask because my MK38 trigger needed a high grit sand because it was a little sharp - now it’s perfectly smooth and doesn’t bother whatsoever. 

Move it forward to about the point where the front of the trigger blade would be in line with the adjustment slide, so maybe 5mm, and you should be fine the pad of your finger should be on the trigger then.

I have just solved this exact problem on another Browning gun, owned by a chap on another nearby Forum.  I sent him my 2 broad triggers, he was using the narrow smooth trigger and suffered the same injury as yourself. He has now put on the broad SMOOTH trigger and has shot around 3 times since, all without any pain. Now, I am not convinced that it is not a gunfit or grip problem.....................yet  !  But, it has cured the problem. Can I suggest that you possibly go the other way and try the narrow or broad SMOOTH triggers first.  I will not get my triggers back until the New Year, but you are then welcome to try them before you do anything drastic. Maybe another member off here could lend you a smooth narrow or broad, or even both triggers to try   ?

Forgot to say that he has kept the same trigger position, he just changed to a different profiled trigger.

Last edited by a moderator:
Definitely forward judging by where you’ve indicated the pain.

I’m also curious to know whether it’s finger pain or skin irritation i.e is the trigger sharp around the edge? I ask because my MK38 trigger needed a high grit sand because it was a little sharp - now it’s perfectly smooth and doesn’t bother whatsoever. 
Thanks, I'll look at that because mine is also a MK38. My sons skin is broken but mine is just sore bit like a bruise.

Move it forward to about the point where the front of the trigger blade would be in line with the adjustment slide, so maybe 5mm, and you should be fine the pad of your finger should be on the trigger then.
Thanks, I'll do that.

I have just solved this exact problem on another Browning gun, owned by a chap on another nearby Forum.  I sent him my 2 broad triggers, he was using the narrow smooth trigger and suffered the same injury as yourself. He has now put on the broad SMOOTH trigger and has shot around 3 times since, all without any pain. Now, I am not convinced that it is not a gunfit or grip problem.....................yet  !  But, it has cured the problem. Can I suggest that you possibly go the other way and try the narrow or broad SMOOTH triggers first.  I will not get my triggers back until the New Year, but you are then welcome to try them before you do anything drastic. Maybe another member off here could lend you a smooth narrow or broad, or even both triggers to try   ?

Forgot to say that he has kept the same trigger position, he just changed to a different profiled trigger.
I didn't get both triggers with it, but if the move forward doesn't work I'll gladly try your triggers. Thanks for the offer.

I'm hoping a coach will be able to help if it's a grip problem or gun fit.

I've moved the trigger forward and can't feel any sharp edges so it's a case of lead in the air and see. I was on for tomorrow but cancelled as my grandkids are poorly and they take priority. 

20191216_205256.jpg

20191216_203709.jpg

Bloomin eck, that's a bit drastic   !  Can you not just give them some junior medicine   ? 
Unfortunately they're practising firing at a spread plate from both ends and my daughter seems to want to join in. 

Grandad to the rescue🤢🤮🤧🚑

I sympathize, my Wife has had the same bug, thankfully I spent my entire working life clearing up others er................fertilizer   !    :hyper:

Coming in a bit late: I was wondering if the knurled finish on your trigger might be causing problems, to be honest I have never seen a gun with a knurled trigger, they are usually as smooth as a baby's bottom. Has anyone else got a knurled trigger? any problems?

1. The problem can only be caused by contact between your finger and the trigger
  2. By squeezing the trigger
  3. by recoil
  4. By all of the above combined with trigger pressure (Courtesy of Midlife above)
  5. The surface of the trigger plays a big part in the problem, common sense says that if it was smooth and rounded, everything would be fine.
Is changing the trigger for a smooth one an option? otherwise can you polish off any sharp edges? Maybe take it off and touch it up with a stone or fine emery - paying attention to the edges of the trigger and the peaks of the knurls.

Check the trigger pressure using fishing scales or similar,  check both barrels - you are looking for somewhere around 3 to 3 1/2 lbs. If its a lot heavier you might consider having them adjusted.

Capture.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I must admit, its the first knurled trigger I've used. My last was a very worn fixed gold one. My SbS are smooth too.

I've not checked the pull pressures yet as I'll need help and this week is not looking good. 

I understand that new these guns come with 2 triggers so presume the previous owner liked this better. Maybe it's an aftermarket thing for gloves?

If the forward adjustment doesn't work then I'm going to take up the offer above to try different triggers.

I've not yet had chance to talk to my RFD about it as it's still under warranty, although to be fair I'm not sure this would be covered.

I'm sure he would be able to order me the appropriate trigger if in fact it is the knurling. 

👍

So to update, I fired a 75 bird today and skinned my finger. 

I'm guessing here but, everyone else seems to have a smooth trigger so it might be the knurling. 

I can't feel any sharp edges but I do suffer some numbness in my fingers since I had a stroke.

The problem is when I'm out, as soon as I mention it, everyone can then feel sharpness and I'm not convinced it's not just power of thought or they don't want to be the only one how can't,  no matter how well meaning they are.

My finger after 75, just a little blip.

20191222_144200.jpg

If the offer is still open when you get the triggers back, I'll gladly take you up on it please. 👍

Try McWet shooting gloves .  They can be sized for a perfect fit as they come in 1/2 sizes . You don’t need a cut away trigger finger as they are sensitive enough .  As the name implies you will never regret buying them if you ever shoot in the rain as they just stick to wet wood , but are great in the dry . I shoot in these gloves 95% of the time having retired my expensive Dents shooting gloves as the McWets just outperform them for a 1/4 of the price . 

So to update, I fired a 75 bird today and skinned my finger. 

I'm guessing here but, everyone else seems to have a smooth trigger so it might be the knurling. 

I can't feel any sharp edges but I do suffer some numbness in my fingers since I had a stroke.

The problem is when I'm out, as soon as I mention it, everyone can then feel sharpness and I'm not convinced it's not just power of thought or they don't want to be the only one how can't,  no matter how well meaning they are.

My finger after 75, just a little blip.

View attachment 8030

If the offer is still open when you get the triggers back, I'll gladly take you up on it please. 👍
You are more than welcome to borrow any of my triggers to try and solve the problem. All that I would add is,  that I have tried a variation of the triggers over the years BUT, the one I return to every time is the smooth narrow version. I have,  what I can only describe,  as Elton John hands and fingers, ie :- short and stubby  !  I have also had the palm swell on my 725 reduced to make the entire 'grip/trigger' feel more comfortable. Oh, and I am 1 stroke up on you, thankfully both minor. Just keep hangin in there  !   

Back