Totally Confused... Safe/Cabinet, Full/Breakdown. HELP

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

V44VAA

I've looked here, there and everywhere. "Safe" isn't a helpful search word on a shooting forum!

I decided to concentrate more on what to put the SG in than what SG. Seems to make more sense, seeing as you can't really get one without the other. I've been on numerous sites, bingled many a maker and so on.

I have a list of questions, please excuse what is potentially a repeated subject, but I'm damned if I can find a definitive answer (is there such a thing?).

Fire ratings aside, will a FEO look more kindly towards a safe or a cabinet (the only real definition of difference I can find is that a cabinet is "glass fronted" (maybe in the US)). I prefer the idea of a safe (one key, less hassle), possibly even a combination/digital lock model.

Will they also look more kindly towards a full size cabinet/safe rather than a breakdown? Full size obviously being heavier and less likely to be "carted away" by someone. I prefer the idea of a breakdown at the moment as it would fit better where I want to put it, not look so unsightly and allow me to put a ammunition safe above it.

Which make is the best? (another can of worms topic...) Brattonsound, BSA, Fortify, there is also a firm in Mansfield that make them (name escapes me), but it's local money over bigger firms.

Where is the best place, both service-wise and price-wise to get the job done? Some are cheaper but have a delivery charge, some more expensive with no delivery charge.

I'm am keen on...
Fortify 3 Gun Breakdown Cabinet (Model KAL ) and the Fortify Small Ammo Cabinet (Model KAS )
Fortify K50+ 5 Gun Vault Locking Safe
Brattonsound Gun Cabinet 7 Rifle Shotgun Safe ST7+
BSA Gun Cabinet 4 Rifle Gun Safe & Safe Inside GS4LT

Any help is greatly appreciated, I'm sure I'm not the only person new to game wondering the same thing, but maybe the only stupid one to put his head over the trench.

Thanks

Ian

Bratton Sound take some beating. You will have 2 keys as there are 2 locks both of which should be different. I would go for a full length cabinet in case you should ever want a semi auto ass these will not fit in most breakdown cabinets.

If there's a chance that you might want to store scoped rifles in the future go for the extra deep one with an internal locking compartment. The space is always handy if you want to store valuables anyway.

I went through this recently. So long as you have a safe or cabinet which is built to BS7558 you will be OK to get your certificate.

I was going to get the ST7+ until I thought about it and decided it would be many years, if ever before I got more than 3 guns so I went for a standard 3 gun cabinet in the end.

My latest Brattonsound has only one key to the main cabinet as it has a multitude of bolts that engage at various points around the cabinet like a proper safe.  I have  a duplicate of this key plus 2 little keys for the internal ammo cabinet.

Quite happy with Brattonsound as are many other members on here and this we all said only yesterday on another thread!

Cheapest that will do the job and is BS7558 compliant is what you need and to cope with the number of potential guns.

I started with a 3 gun cabinet in 1990 but 2 years ago bought a 6 gun cabinet as I now have a target rifle, an air rifle, a lightweight sport rifle Ruger .22, 2 shotguns and a Pardini free pistol so I'm already full again!

I woud buy a six gun as a starter and then you can lock up some home valuables as well.

Basically, as long as it complies with the required British Standard, it's down to you to decide the one which you like the look of the best and the one which fits your budget. My only recommendation is to buy at least a 6 gun cabinet, because although you wont need it yet, you may very well end up with several guns like so many of us as time goes on (even if you're only borrowing them). It is a pain removing, then selling your old 4 gun cabinet to replace it with a 6 or 10 gun cabinet.

Good shooting!

Redders

Look at the design , look for sharp edges that could damage the gun around the door . Overall dimension's , one might be bigger inside but have a 2" thick door that takes up space inside. Look for how the door hinges, some give more room / bigger opening when the door is opened , more room for getting a gun in and out .

I just bought a Fortify K3 from Winterfieldsafes. http://www.winterfieldsafes.co.uk/ranges/gun-cabinets/fortify-k3-2-3-shotgun-cabinet.html They were a pleasure to deal with and will give you some great advice. If you buy a Fortify, do yourself a favour though, keep and use the washers , but dont use the bolts and plastic raw plugs that come with it, coz they are usless, instead, get some of those metal expanding raw bolts from any good DIY store and use them instead. I also drilled a couple of holes in the bottom and bolted it to the floor as well.

We all buy cabinets and stand them up against a wall.

Ever thought about lying one down? Inside a wardrobe on the floor at the back, covered in matching carpet and shoes and boots on top! Billy Burglar gets ever so confused. Plus if you keep your guns in gunsocks you can lie them on top of each other. Once had fourteen in my six gun cabinet. 

Ever thought about lying one down? Inside a wardrobe on the floor at the back, covered in matching carpet and shoes and boots on top! Billy Burglar gets ever so confused. Plus if you keep your guns in gunsocks you can lie them on top of each other. Once had fourteen in my six gun cabinet. 
YES!!!!....OMG!.YES..I thought I was on my own wth that one...Was going to put mine horrizontal, put a removable plinth over it and then put shoes and boots on the top....however, my Wife said....." I cant be doing with you cursing and swearing, chucking shoes and boots around and wrestling with a plinth in a tight space everytime you want to get in to the darn thing....I know you! " ....charmed I'm sure...and...apparently..I will end up putting other stuff in there as well..........actually..thats not a bad idea! Hmmm....so I went for the standard up against the wall in the corner option......might still put a plinth around it though.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

the best cabinet is the cheapest one that complies with the relevent British Standard. I've got both a breakdown cabinet which I had in my previous house as I was restricted in space and a full sized one. I much prefer my guns to be stored assembled so favour the full sized cabinet. It is also easier to stand a gun up when it is assembled rather than separate barrels and stock.

I've no idea where the OP is located, but I have several pre owned gun cabinets in stock.

webber

Thanks for all the comments.

Everyone has confirmed my own thoughts, especially "bigger is always better"!!! I see now point in getting a one gun cabinet, the watches and the camera gear can always go in it any way until there is no room due to more guns ;)

I'm based in Lincolnshire and have considered 2nd hand (been looking on fleabay). As long as it does the job, doesn't cost the earth and has room for growth, that's what I'm looking for.

My cabinet is not BS marked as it is home made,(not by me but by a metal worker/welder), but when it was first inspected while in my possession the FEO,in Lincolnshire, remarked on its thickness and locking mechanism being in excess of requirements.

It has passed several inspections.

It only holds one gun and takes two people to lift it comfortably.It cost me £30 used from a gunshop!

I couldn't bolt it to the floor so I put eight in the back instead of six.

Once it has been inspected,line the cabinet with thin foam or something similar,the bolt heads can wreak havoc with the contents!

Why only a one gun cabinet? Having been down this road before I cannot be tempted into buying guns I take a fancy to and using them in turn and never getting proficient with any of them.

There is an old saying, " Beware of the man with only one gun as he probably shoots it very well".

I wish that that applied to me !!

Ian,when you get up and running you are only a stones throw from Orston Shooting Ground,an excellent place to shoot,especially for the nosh!

Vic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Vic, in what way do the bolt heads play havoc, I just installed a gun cabinet, ( it just passed).
The exposed bolts at the back of the cabinet can have sharp edges on which it is possible to damage the woodwork and the metal work of your gun/s.

Private adverts for used guns often have the comment such as, "Excellent condition except for the odd cabinet mark."

These marks can be caused by the exposed bolt heads or by knocking the gun on the cabinet door or doorway.

Vic.

Ian,when you get up and running you are only a stones throw from Orston Shooting Ground,an excellent place to shoot,especially for the nosh!

Vic.
Had a go there last year. I can see it being a local haunt!

Latest posts

Back