To Choke Or Not ?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So……. Gun together day is nearly upon us and the new barrel hanger has arrived today 🥳 unfortunately with the movement in the barrels over the last 35 years or so the bluing is missing under the original steel hanger. Besides re bluing all the barrels does anyone know of anything that could be done to make it look a little less well …….. crap 💩

So……. Gun together day is nearly upon us and the new barrel hanger has arrived today 🥳 unfortunately with the movement in the barrels over the last 35 years or so the bluing is missing under the original steel hanger. Besides re bluing all the barrels does anyone know of anything that could be done to make it look a little less well …….. crap 💩
Hi Yorkshire Clay Shooting,

Be very wary of the insta blue/ cold blue touch up liquids and pens. In my limited experience they generally cause more hassle and harm than they fix. They also make any imperfections much more visible.

To my mind signs of honest use and wear on a well loved gun are completely different to abuse and damage. If you keep the barrels wiped down with a lightly oiled rag to protect any bare metal is it likely that the new barrel hanger will cover up any worn areas?

Last edited:
Hi Yorkshire Clay Shooting,

Be very wary of the insta blue/ cold blue touch up liquids and pens. In my limited experience they generally cause more hassle and harm than they fix. They also make any imperfections much more visible.

To my mind signs of honest use and wear on a well loved gun are completely different to abuse and damage. If you keep the barrels wiped down with a lightly oiled rag to protect any bare metal is it likely that the new barrel hanger will cover up any worn areas?
I was hoping for a slightly more warm review of a touch up pen solution as that was too my to be my first avenue after speaking with my gun smith tomorrow that is. To be honest the quality of the fix to a point is not of great importance as I just need it to be black inside the machined areas of the new hanger. Unfortunately the new one doesn’t cover up the area as it is a titanium one instead of the solid steel one I have removed.

Hopefully tomorrow my guy can come up with some gun smith magic to alleviate the issue 🤞🏻

I was hoping for a slightly more warm review of a touch up pen solution as that was too my to be my first avenue after speaking with my gun smith tomorrow that is. To be honest the quality of the fix to a point is not of great importance as I just need it to be black inside the machined areas of the new hanger. Unfortunately the new one doesn’t cover up the area as it is a titanium one instead of the solid steel one I have removed.

Hopefully tomorrow my guy can come up with some gun smith magic to alleviate the issue 🤞🏻
The bellow is just opinion and some information that I've gathered previously. 100% speak to your gunsmith before doing any sort of repair to avoid dissatisfying results.

If your just wanting to make the area black, Birchwood Casey do a gun touch up marker which is effectively a paint pen (super black touch up). Strictly speaking this isn't a blue, but more of a paint that sits on top of the metal.

Normal cold bluing liquids, pastes and pens contain selenous acid which actually causes a chemical reaction on the steel to create the 'blue'. The problem is that it also affects the existing surrounding finish and can create a noticeable splodge and discoloration. The depth and colour of the cold blue will not match the surrounding existing finish which can be more noticeable depending on the quality of the steel (better quality steel doesn't take cold blue very well due to nickel content etc.). Which leads to applying more layers to try and get the depth, which inturn will lead to a larger more noticeable splodge.

Again mate, this is just my 2pence. You weren't satisfied with the quality of the blued finish on the chokes you initially received (and rightly so), then it's unlikely that the cold blue will give you satisfactory results. A Krieghoff is a nice gun speak to your gunsmith before attempting anything.

EDIT: be aware selenous acid is highly toxic

Last edited:
I have a little experience with the touch up pens, and I see them as a "tide over" until proper work can be done. First select the right one (matt won't work for a glossy finish blue and vice versa, of course). Then try a small dab on an area that isn't in view (such as under the foreend) by following the instructions (duh). Oftentimes results are marred by not degreasing, using too much, not rinsing and what have you. Let it dry properly and see whether it matches the surrounding area. If you are lucky, it'll match well enough for you to work on the visible area's - if not, don't try for the reasons above. Don't try it on anything too large to cover evenly - I have had good results on dings and scratches but I'd be hesitant to use one on anything bigger. Then again, if you consider reblueing the whole thing at some point anyway, you can try it out now without worry. But then there's the worry whether your new chokes will match :cool:

The bellow is just opinion and some information that I've gathered previously. 100% speak to your gunsmith before doing any sort of repair to avoid dissatisfying results.

If your just wanting to make the area black, Birchwood Casey do a gun touch up marker which is effectively a paint pen (super black touch up). Strictly speaking this isn't a blue, but more of a paint that sits on top of the metal.

Normal cold bluing liquids, pastes and pens contain selenous acid which actually causes a chemical reaction on the steel to create the 'blue'. The problem is that it also affects the existing surrounding finish and can create a noticeable splodge and discoloration. The depth and colour of the cold blue will not match the surrounding existing finish which can be more noticeable depending on the quality of the steel (better quality steel doesn't take cold blue very well due to nickel content etc.). Which leads to applying more layers to try and get the depth, which inturn will lead to a larger more noticeable splodge.

Again mate, this is just my 2pence. You weren't satisfied with the quality of the blued finish on the chokes you initially received (and rightly so), then it's unlikely that the cold blue will give you satisfactory results. A Krieghoff is a nice gun speak to your gunsmith before attempting anything.

EDIT: be aware selenous acid is highly toxic

Im thinking a slightly more temporary fix for the minute then considering sending the barrels of for re blue to Krieghoff as it isn’t as expensive as I thought. Also it’s about the only thing that hasn’t been done at the minute 😂

I have a little experience with the touch up pens, and I see them as a "tide over" until proper work can be done. First select the right one (matt won't work for a glossy finish blue and vice versa, of course). Then try a small dab on an area that isn't in view (such as under the foreend) by following the instructions (duh). Oftentimes results are marred by not degreasing, using too much, not rinsing and what have you. Let it dry properly and see whether it matches the surrounding area. If you are lucky, it'll match well enough for you to work on the visible area's - if not, don't try for the reasons above. Don't try it on anything too large to cover evenly - I have had good results on dings and scratches but I'd be hesitant to use one on anything bigger. Then again, if you consider reblueing the whole thing at some point anyway, you can try it out now without worry. But then there's the worry whether your new chokes will match :cool:
I’m hoping because of the slight gap in old blue and new temp fix with the barrel hanger will cover up slightly the difference in colour. My gunsmith did say if it was him he would polish the area so it was all silver for the minute and get it re blued in future

I’m hoping because of the slight gap in old blue and new temp fix with the barrel hanger will cover up slightly the difference in colour. My gunsmith did say if it was him he would polish the area so it was all silver for the minute and get it re blued in future

If that's the way forward in the (near) future, I wouldn't be hesitant in trying the blue-pen. The blueing does offer some protection, whereas bare metal will be more vulnerable if any moisture would make its way in between the barrel-hanger and the barrel. Although from your efforts I am under the impression you are likely meticulous in cleaning and maintenance. ☺️ Keep up the good work, it sounds like a labour of love and I look forward to seeing the completed set.

I’m not totally un happy with the results.

Is it a forever fix = definitely not 😔

Does it mean I get to go and show off the new and marginally improved and far more expensive than when i bought it project Krieghoff this weekend without anyone casting aspersions on my new end = Yes 😝

If I wave it around vigorously enough there is only us that will know of this indiscretion 😂 and hopefully no one will notice 🤞🏻

IMG_6325.jpeg

If that's the way forward in the (near) future, I wouldn't be hesitant in trying the blue-pen. The blueing does offer some protection, whereas bare metal will be more vulnerable if any moisture would make its way in between the barrel-hanger and the barrel. Although from your efforts I am under the impression you are likely meticulous in cleaning and maintenance. ☺️ Keep up the good work, it sounds like a labour of love and I look forward to seeing the completed set.
I am as you assume an avid gun cleaner I have been known to clean friends guns just to see how much of an improvement can be made 😂 to be honest it’s a nice part of the Sunday shooting day to come home and strip down and clean the gun.

Although I do on occasion shoot black powder and to clean a gun with boiling water and fairy liquid does still feel incredibly weird 😂 but it works and it’s worth it for the smoke and flames 🔥 💨

IMG_1697.pngIMG_1696.pngIMG_1695.jpegIMG_2081.png

Still waiting for this feedback mate.
My apologies life work bank holiday etc. anyway it shoots fantastic. Just like it always did to be fair. I don’t share other sentiments about the trigger I don’t find it uncomfortable in the slightest in fact since having the chequering redone the new sharpness of that and the trigger do give the gun an over all stuck in the hand type feel. The wood is amazing it’s dark and light and deep it looks like it’s been dipped in glass. The gun patterns well. Marginally better than previous although it is now choked differently but the pattern is far more uniform. The new lower barrel hanger make it feel like it shoots more generically like most sporting guns as it felt incredibly flat to shoot prior. In summary it shoots and looks amazing. It no longer looks like the 35+ year old gun it is. I had to move the trigger forward a mm or so compared to the previous one and the comb has been lowered slightly as I was doing so re adjusting slightly the first time of shooting. Have said that I have been shooting a plethora of different guns in the 7 weeks or so which could mean my mount relating to this gun has suffered somewhat.

IMG_6381.jpeg
IMG_6380.jpegIMG_6379.jpeg

Reactions: SBL
If there was a Pirelli calendar of clay shooting.... :D. Good looking gun as said before. Personally I'd consider having the barrel hanger nitrided, but not sure whether that works on titanium.

As for the trigger, I understand the feeling. I shoot a gun with skeletonised Ergosign stock, not for weight reasons but because I think it looks better than a regular Ergosign stock. My shooting mates refer to it as a prosthetic leg, so "cheesegrater" is kind by comparison.

Back