This Season

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GavB

OK first to post in this section. Im looking for opportunities to go Beating in the south bucks area, hoping to bring my lab on with beating then all being ok would like to start him picking up. We went on a pheasant shoot in Norfolk in January and although I bagged a few I got a lot more pleasure watching the dogs working- fantastic/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-smile.gif

Gav, bit of intended to be helpful advice, not knowing how good you are at training dogs......choose one......picking up or beating. They are different mentality of dogs.Very few dogs (or owners) can manage both. Beating can ruin a rock steady peg dog in one day if you are not careful. (Until I moved south I trained my own labs and pointers some of whom I bred, and I needed a rock stead dog at my peg as I only shot driven game.)As for your area south Bucks......then Glen is your man....because when he is not in Krautland, he is a Bucks man.

Thanks Nic I should of explained a bit better, Ive no intention of letting the dog off as a beating dog if you know what i mean. Just a way to get him used to all the sights and sounds on a shoot day. And for me to get to know everyone. My trainer did mention never let him off when beating no matter what anyone says. She also said to practice walking up as much as possible when at the group sessions. We are currently trying to stop him squeeking - as you probably know a very hard but not impossible thing to do./wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-wink.gif

Phew, glad you have got a trainer if this is your first go. You can pick up a lot quickly (keep a book of tips from your trainer, it is amazing how quickly they grow up and how soon you forget how you dealt with them ....the dog I mean not the trainer/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif)Essential if you want to pick up that you are seen to have a rock steady dog that walks to heel and who obeys your commands whether by voice or whistle. There are three things that really piss off the guns resulting in you never being asked back..........one is retrieving during the drive unless it is a runner heading away from the line of guns....two is a noisy dog whineing or whinneing ....and three is a dog that carts off and decide to do the drive from the opposite end ...meeting the beaters half way and killing the drive /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif  And one thing that sends guns into orbit......is.......the beater standing back behind a gun (who has a capable dog) and sweeping up all the birds through and after the drive. I have many times asked for the picker up to stand further down the line behind guns that do not have dogs and to leave my birds for my dog. Dogs with guns are not just pretty attachments to the peg. Equally there are some guns who should leave their dogs at home/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif

You have a squeeker too then, mine is more of a talker, he just does it at top volume/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gifAs for some guns should leave their dog at home, that would be me then, we get away with it on our little shoot, the hoover sweeps the whole line, problem is I have to carry the damn things! any other shoot he would stay home though /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif Fuzrat

Hi Nic couldnt agree more, the squeeking will be a tough nut to crack but we will get there in the end, as for the last point, that would drive me mad, the guns and the picking up team should have a clear understanding on whos dog is picking up. my dog still has a little way to go yet, there is one thing being  steady when training and quite another with guns and dogs all around. Im lucky that I have a great mentor, who trains and judges for field trials and at the gamefairs, the little tips I have picked up here and there , you would never find in a book or a group /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-smile.gif

That mentor is worth weight in gold then. Keep at it. And good luck.

Fuzrat said:

You have a squeeker too then, mine is more of a talker, he just does it at top volume/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gifAs for some guns should leave their dog at home, that would be me then, we get away with it on our little shoot, the hoover sweeps the whole line, problem is I have to carry the damn things! any other shoot he would stay home though /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif Fuzrat
ha ha ha I will video you next time mate and show them the hoover at work! /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif

Not long now getting a little excited! Flying back home tonight and this time tomorrow will be getting up sorting my self out and going off for the first Pheasant day! Excellent.Looks like i will be shooting pheasants in a short sleeved shirt and a summer vest looking at the forecast! /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif

you'll be happy to be home mate, I hope you are bringin that very nice young lady with you for a holiday (or maybe she needs a holiday away from you /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif)   it's so hard to believe that the pheasant and woodcock shootin starts tomorrow especially in this weather -- I honestly couldn't go out and shoot any yet - it didn't even feel right shootin the crows and mags the other day, I hope you have a good time back home again and don't forget the pics for us to see what your doin  ? /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-wink.gif Nige

I guess there will be some young birds about but most of the birds on this shoot are really wild and fully grown becaus ethey do not put many birds down so there is not really a problem with someone shooting young birds. I guess I will dust the 17hmr off and shoot a few rabbits with it as well and maybe a few pigeons if there are a few about! Going to be a great weekend! My beautiful girlfriend is already on holiday I am afraid and has been for two weeks but she is back on the Monday the same as me! Then I have the 150 Fitasc at Westfield to look forward too so I guess it is going to be a full on fun packed weekend! I am bringing my dutch shooting friend over with me who has helped me out a bit over here with the clay shooting. They aren't allowed to shoot pheasants where he is and he is mad to see what it is all about and to shoot some real Fitasc targets! I am sure he will enjoy it! Just can't wait to get on that plane tonight now! /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif

Just been in the cupboard sorting out some 6's and polishing the cartridge belt. not sure whos more exited me or the hoover /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif Jeez Glen you're bringing Martin for his first taste of pheasant shooting at our place? will put the man off for life /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif At least with this weather the apres shoot will be in the beer garden. Fuzrat

Latest posts

Back