ips does beating season three

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ips

first off can ask a mod to un archive ips does beating thread and put this on there as a continuing diary. Thanks.

SEASON 3 SHOOT 1 BIG SHOOT

Keeper rang me early said birds were bailing out of some woods and in the fields so would I have a look enroute to the estate. No problem set off a bit earlier bashed me flag about and got em back in.

1st Drive
 On lead for duration of what was a fairly short beat in a wood.

2nd Drive
 Off lead reasonably good at heel walking a field up then on lead through a cover crop. Short hunt in some cover at the end of the drive. Recalled well no issues. Keeper says I can help picker ups sweeping if I want to. Spotted a cock pheasant about fifty yards away, gave her a "get out" she went straight to it picked it immediately without and messing and brought it straight back releasing with a "dead" command. Sent her out for another which she did equally well. In my eyes I cant fault her on her retrieving.

3rd Drive
 On our dogging in side of the estate now so I think she was wondering why we are going into a wood that she knows not to go in ? off lead at heel for a bit tapping birds in then I bottled it and popped lead on as we got to cover crop.

4th Drive
 Our dogging in side again. Hunted her off lead for the duration of what is very horrible thick bramble. She recalled and turned very well indeed and ploughed through the cover so well that I thought she would be ripped to bits, thankfully she was unscathed. Anyway a slight issue at the end of the wood as I was climbing over a wooden fence she gets through first and legged it along the fence for fifty yards or so but was straight back within seconds. I have no idea why she did this but I didn't make a big deal over it. We then walked birds in through high cover crop on lead. Short hunt at the end recalls were good she never went more than fifteen yards away even though she could have because were she was I couldn't get through to her.

5th Drive
 On lead through cover crop then a long walk through the wood off lead at heel mostly but a few bits of cover hunted out and again never far away even though temptation must have been very high as we had hundreds of birds in open view just in front. I bottled it at flush point and popped lead on, she was now biting at the bit as birds trickled through the fence and over the cover crop.

Reasonably happy with her i think she was calmer (a bit) than last year and generally more compliant, only one issue but a lot of nagging required to keep her at heel. Very pleased with the two retrieves. She is absolutely jiggered now fast asleep on sofa, its been a long day 7-50 start got home at 17-00. Great to be beating again though ?

You call it "bottling it". I know what you mean, however I would call it intelligent, responsible dog ownership! We have all seen the result of dogs running in on a shoot. Good for you.

thanks for that midlife ?

always feels like a cop out to me but at least she has never ruined a drive ?

dogging in she is steady as a rock walking hundred birds in off a field and she is steady whilst beating BUT once the birds start flapping about to get out of the flush point you can see she is losing her head.

I feel less of a failure after your post, maybe I need to change my mindset about popping a lead on when I feel its required, thank you ?

Great read again and glad to hear your both back out at it again.

Start of the season is exciting times for everyone so expected. Looking forward to your updates. Sadly no working dog here but am now 7 days in beating and some shooting and have the 8th&9th this friday/saturday.

ATB

Matt

cheers matt ?

my first syndicate day this Saturday.

enjoy your shooting ?

SEASON 3 SHOOT 1 SYNDICATE

nice to see the fellow syndicate members again. Shoot captain gifted Mrs ips her very own priest. It came in handy as will be revealed ?

1st DRIVE
 beating this drive nothing to report other than she worked very well was fully compliant with commands no bog offs no commands ignored hunted close. I was very pleased with her. I am wondering if she senses my confidence in her at this shoot as I have no concern of her ruining a drive whereas on the estate she may sense my concern and effectively lack of leadership (in her eyes) just a thought based on the fact that she is always very good on the small shoot.

2nd DRIVE
 shooting this one. Lynn had eze on lead about five yards behind me. Eze showed signs of excitement rather than any fear or anxiety so I am fairly confident that we are passed last seasons sensitivity to shot when on a peg. Anyway I missed first bird but had a good first barrell kill on second bird, shot second barrell to make sure. After a few moments Lynn sent her out about fourty yards, she went straight to it so had marked it well she took a few seconds to get a good hold of it and retrieved it to Lynn however she dropped it at lynns feet. She never drops retrieves for me so one assumes it was because she isn't used to being handled by Lynn. She also retrieved another two birds one for Lynn one for me and carried out the task to her usual good standard. So shooting 1 for 4 retrieves 3

3rd DRIVE
 again she hunted really well in some pretty dense cover, she is improving every day (on this shoot anyway) as far as hunting close not pulling out through cover and general compliance to stops, turns and recall. Very pleased with this beat.

4th DRIVE
 shooting this one and what a drive this was (for our small shoot anyway) I had some great birds over me flying really well and other guns concurred that they were easily fourty yard and flying well. Gun next to me complimented me after a fourty plus yard cock pheasant quartering slightly to the right, first barrell folded it and it landed thirty yards or so to my right on level with the line of pegs so had it been a straight bird would have been at my feet. Gun next to me dropped a bird which was pricked so I instructed Lynn to send eze for that one as no other dogs in the field that I and three other guns were in. Eze ran passed my dead bird and picked the injured one, it wasn't a runner but it wasn't dead, Lynn christened her priest then sent eze for my bird both were delivered to hand. I shot a further 3 pheasant all fourty yard ish and a screaming partridge (I thought it was a pigeon but was assured much to my embarrassment it was definitely a partridge ? my only defence is the sun was in my eyes ? eze retrieved the birds reasonably well considering two more required lynns last rights, she started to run in on one bird but I got on the stop whistle and gave her a growl and she stopped ten yards into her run in, I was chuffed with that. Three of us with dogs looked for my partridge / pigeon in the wood but could not find it in what is very thick bramble even after 30 min of hunting it out, my team captain who was back gun assured me it was very dead when it folded and complimented me on my shooting which was nice. So shooting was 5 for 10 with I think one missed bird retrieves 5.

5th DRIVE
 beating nothing to report she hunted well complied to commands , she did good.

Final bag was 23 pheasant 3 pigeon (1 un-picked partridge) me 5 pheasant (1 un-picked partridge)

To conclude, what a brilliant day I thouroughly enjoyed good shooting and in my eyes anyway good dog work. Oh, one of the guns commented on and I quote "she is a cracking little dog" ?

Going well mate,keep it up. We did field trial last Monday and picked up on a 450 bird day on Thursday. Season getting going nicely. Clays tomorrow but its not the same as working a spaniel. 

Sounds like a good day had by all and would warrant a feet up and large penderyn to finish the day well off well done ips Lynn and eze  :thumbsup:

Going well mate,keep it up. We did field trial last Monday and picked up on a 450 bird day on Thursday. Season getting going nicely. Clays tomorrow but its not the same as working a spaniel. 
nope its not mate ?

cheers ?

Sounds like a good day had by all and would warrant a feet up and large penderyn to finish the day well off well done ips Lynn and eze  :thumbsup:
thanks gareth, i am in front of you there mate. Recliner is reclined, glass is charged with welshes finest and eze asleep between lynn and i ?

Lynn with her retrieves ?

DSCN0855.JPG

me after fourth drive

C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_23032711_1481338898599559_801...jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
SEASON 3 SHOOT 2 ESTATE

she was having one of those days. Total opposite to Saturday. She was ssh*te.

on lead sh*te, off lead heel sh*te, recall sh*te, hunting was sh*te it was run forward for fifty yards put some birds up and come back. All in all probably the worst day we have had in three seasons. Didn't ruin a drive but she was sh*te.

not a happy bunnie tonight ?

Its a learning curve for you that everyday will not be the best put it down to experience and forget it look forward to the next time your out enjoying seeing her work as some times sh*t happens  :thumbsup:

SEASON 3 SHOOT 3 ESTATE

much better this week, on lead at various times (still pulls on lead when beating no matter what I do) hunted her off lead on a few occasions, recall was good and she hunted well. On a few drives I had her trailing her lead when we were instructed to just tap them in, this was much less stressful for me as I had a chance of standing on the lead if I felt things were hotting up I am considering having her trail a 3metre webbing training lead next week until I have sorted a few issues.
 She had one good retrieve whilst sweeping up after a drive and also picked a runner that the keeper tasked me to find after a drive. She wasn't keen on giving this up due to it not being dead and her and it being caught in bramble. On the plus side she seems much calmer between drives or mid drive even offering a sit at times.

So in conclusion much better than last week but still got some issues to work through the main one being pulling forward on scent at times which is only happening on big shoot obviously due to numbers of birds and the desire to get to them rather than hunt what she knows or thinks is cover not holding any birds.

It sounds as though that dog is becoming a problem !

Probably the best course of action would be to rehome her , before she ruins a drive and destroys any credability you may have .

Obviously you have gone as far as you can with that one , time for a new untrained Spaniel .

I know someone local to me who may rehome Eze .

Probably the best course of action would be to rehome her , before she ruins a drive and destroys any credability you may have .

Obviously you have gone as far as you can with that one , time for a new untrained Spaniel .

ha, good try ?

Its in fact only a 20 minute drive from mine to yours Pete so it wouldnt take me long to collect her either ! :D

thanks for that midlife ?

always feels like a cop out to me but at least she has never ruined a drive ?

dogging in she is steady as a rock walking hundred birds in off a field and she is steady whilst beating BUT once the birds start flapping about to get out of the flush point you can see she is losing her head.

I feel less of a failure after your post, maybe I need to change my mindset about popping a lead on when I feel its required, thank you ?
NEVER, EVER,   be afraid to slip the lead back on. As said,  it is certainly NOT a sign of weakness. It is far better than looking a fool,  as you try to get a dog back that has gone 'deaf; believe me I KNOW  !      :cry:

NEVER, EVER,   be afraid to slip the lead back on. As said,  it is certainly NOT a sign of weakness. It is far better than looking a fool,  as you try to get a dog back that has gone 'deaf; believe me I KNOW  !      :cry:
Too true,Westley. I work three picking up on big commercial shoots and the last thing anyone wants is dogs running around the guns during a drive. I have two off the lead that are rock steady so can deal with runners during the drive but keep one on the lead and its very common to see other experienced handlers with theirs on leads till the end of the drive.

I know its a pain traipsing through cover with a pulling dog on a lead but its better than being told to leave the bugger at home in future.

Its in fact only a 20 minute drive from mine to yours Pete so it wouldnt take me long to collect her either ! :D
your in cahoots with that other sloppy bloke, keep yet mitts off me bitch ?

Too true,Westley. I work three picking up on big commercial shoots and the last thing anyone wants is dogs running around the guns during a drive. I have two off the lead that are rock steady so can deal with runners during the drive but keep one on the lead and its very common to see other experienced handlers with theirs on leads till the end of the drive.

I know its a pain traipsing through cover with a pulling dog on a lead but its better than being told to leave the bugger at home in future.
thank you gentlemen, we have had a couple (only a couple) of "oh ruddy ell this could go bad" occasions but thus far we haven't done any harm . I can tell better these days when she is getting too hot so I try and take the heat off her asap

Back