The invisible ones

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CharlesP

Went off to Three Lion yesterday, and as ever had a good morning. In fact I went round again, and discovered that one target on Stand 1 had changed. Not in speed or direction or behaviour, but in appearance. The sun had, of course, moved round, and what was a perfectly obvious black round clay had transformed itself into one that simply disappeared at the top of its travel. The black had turned into the exact shade, hue and tint of the surrounding sky, and I found it almost impossible to pick up after attending to the other target in the simultaneous presentation. Of course, a different approach was required, but what do you do when you can hardly see the thing because it's perfectly camouflaged like a chameleon in a tin of Quality Street?

Would Polaroid glasses make a difference?

This is a common problem now with black clays with sun light on their backs ,  battles can be particularly prone to it , -and there ain't a lot we can do about it 

have to agrea  i have 3 pairs of sun glasses and where i usually practice there is one stand in particular that lets the clay disapear in the sun unless you can hit it as it comes out the trap. dont know what else could be done other than not shoot that stand

It's not clays that are in the sun , I know better than that Peter !!!! So do you , its when the sun is behind you for a certain part of the day !!!!!! 

Now be told you silly old sod !!!!

To this old fossil who has suffered for many years with short sightedness the "worst offender" I've found to be is Battues, I often find these appear like a polo mint in flight 

Thank you Ed.

I can't set the shoot up any different because clubs tend to get funny when their customers rearrange the layout (especially when others are waiting), and I can't paint them matt black from thirty yards away while they're in flight and pretty much invisible.

I can, however - and will - purchase a pair of polarising glasses.

Thank you Ed.

I can't set the shoot up any different because clubs tend to get funny when their customers rearrange the layout (especially when others are waiting), and I can't paint them matt black from thirty yards away while they're in flight and pretty much invisible.

I can, however - and will - purchase a pair of polarising glasses.
I believe I have the same oakley lenses as Ed (VR28 polarised) and they are great on black clays in bright sun. Local club had a fast battue and without glasses on it looked more shiny silver and extremely hard to pick up on a cluudy background when turning. Rest of my group had real issues but I could see them fine.

Went off to Three Lion yesterday, and as ever had a good morning. In fact I went round again, and discovered that one target on Stand 1 had changed. Not in speed or direction or behaviour, but in appearance. The sun had, of course, moved round, and what was a perfectly obvious black round clay had transformed itself into one that simply disappeared at the top of its travel. The black had turned into the exact shade, hue and tint of the surrounding sky, and I found it almost impossible to pick up after attending to the other target in the simultaneous presentation. Of course, a different approach was required, but what do you do when you can hardly see the thing because it's perfectly camouflaged like a chameleon in a tin of Quality Street?

Would Polaroid glasses make a difference?
As a Jedi Knight I have little problem with almost invisible clays, I Just use the FORCE. It's the buggers I can see that I miss.

Latest posts

Back