SxS for sporting and trap shooting

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AW13

Picked up a Spanish sxs from a friend who can longer shoot. Lovely 28 inch Union Armera about 45 yrs old that still in great condition.  Bought it for a bit of fun and a change and if i am honest the hardened steel is quite good looking.

Anyway, I wanted to get the feel of it and as I was shooting on my own today I shot DTL. I know it is a tad lighter than a trap gun but it shot really well and I was hitting into the 20's, not even shot DTL for a year or so.

My question is....why do most people use o/u and not sxs for most sports.  I have a lovely MK60 which I enjoy but I do mostly sporting with Rem 1187 and some skeet.

Anyone else use a sxs for trap or sporting

a friend of mine now sadly departed used to shoot dtl with a greener sxs to great effect as in AA

a friend of mine now sadly departed used to shoot dtl with a greener sxs to great effect as in AA
Just like going off roading in a mini .........not really built for it but DTL is not really trap is it !

Last edited by a moderator:
Probably due to all of those 'ill fitting' S x S's according to our American cousin !  They worked well enough protecting Stagecoaches though !

Probably due to all of those 'ill fitting' S x S's according to our American cousin !  They worked well enough protecting Stagecoaches though !
and there is only you on here with first-hand experience of that :angel:

Percy Stanbury was quite useful with a W. C. Scott

Paddy Hopkirk was quite useful offroad in a Mini.

So I guess it is each to his own .

.45Colt/3" Fourten strangely known as an Auto & Burglar.

I'll try to not get too engaged with this.  Most SxS even today adhere to a conformation that was arrived at long ago and in a galaxy far far away.  That conformation does not accommodate in an easy fashion the current form and style evolved for targets rather than driven game.  As was mentioned pigeon guns are likely more suitable but still may not be the hot setup.  There is a lot of BS about actual suitably relating to barrel arrangement but personally I think that is just BS and has little validity.

As I have mentioned in the past I have a Beretta SxS that I've modified the stock to fit me better and I shoot it as well as I shoot anything.  It could use some trigger work tho and that is planned for the near future.  And if I should chance upon a quality SxS at a price I could afford I'd likely have to try it.  Some years ago I missed on a Bernardelli SLE pigeon gun that I will forever regret.

Most people have no expectations of winning $/Olympic medals much like myself so I would think that shooting whatever makes them happy would be the best choice.

JMO of course    YMMV

I'll try to not get too engaged with this.  Most SxS even today adhere to a conformation that was arrived at long ago and in a galaxy far far away.  That conformation does not accommodate in an easy fashion the current form and style evolved for targets rather than driven game.  As was mentioned pigeon guns are likely more suitable but still may not be the hot setup.  There is a lot of BS about actual suitably relating to barrel arrangement but personally I think that is just BS and has little validity.

As I have mentioned in the past I have a Beretta SxS that I've modified the stock to fit me better and I shoot it as well as I shoot anything.  It could use some trigger work tho and that is planned for the near future.  And if I should chance upon a quality SxS at a price I could afford I'd likely have to try it.  Some years ago I missed on a Bernardelli SLE pigeon gun that I will forever regret.

Most people have no expectations of winning $/Olympic medals much like myself so I would think that shooting whatever makes them happy would be the best choice.

JMO of course    YMMV
I agree you should shoot whatever makes you happy. Some of my best shoots have been with fämily/friends often using a great variety of different types, ages and price ranges.

I got a SxS that is nearly as old as my parents (1957 to be exact), I just happened across it in the local gun shop it was in good nick and cheap so I just bought it to have a bit of fun with and I can honestly say I don't shoot any worse than I shoot with my O/U, the only thing is it does kick like a mule with 28g carts so i tend to just shoot 21g or 24g's through it, i use it pretty regularly.

before my time mate, never heard of him ?

Latest posts

Back