Sporting shoots. Your personal accounts. 2022

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Grange farm yesterday and it was a really enjoyable shoot with a nice balance of testing targets and more straightforward ones.

Was going quite well until I got to the top of the hill and was first on to a simmo pair of going away birds which were crossing over. Didn’t look too bad but came off with sweet 0. My pal went on and scored 2. My other friend who is AA and left handed just missed 1. Watched a few shooter all miss while waiting on the next stand. Don’t know what it was about it but it did me.

Long time since I’ve had a duck but finished on 74.
Despite that saga thoroughly enjoyed the day.

First time at Redricks for me yesterday. Knowing that Phil generally put on a course which is regarded by most as slightly on the stiffer side, I did turn up with the expectation of having my backside handed to me on a plate.  All very good targets, and nothing unhittable (is that even a word?) although there were plenty that needed a decent plan before stepping up to the cage. Even managed to hit the big bird of the day on stand 10. Only the once mind you. 

I think the weather took it's toll on most of the shooters, and especially the refs . I'll take my hat off to the 2 that scored 90 and 92 (HG). That was some work in that weather. I made a few silly mistakes on the way round, and had a proper wobble on stand 9.  Finished on 71, which looking at the scores was mid table in B. I've not shot for 3 weeks, and only just about got over covid for the 2nd time, so I'm not disappointed with that score. Really enjoyed the course and certainly didn't leave the ground feeling like I'd had my pants pulled down. 

Looking forward to giving Redricks another go when the weather cools off a bit.

It could have been much worse if it had been steel shot ricocheting around!
Pretty scary as it’s a tight space.   He was not far from the wall and those around him only feet away.   The man that seemed to take the brunt of it luckily had his back to it.   The ref was to the left of him and obviously facing him.   Thankfully all wearing glasses.  

Did anyone shoot Sporting Targets today reg 100? There was a rabbit on stand 11 that looked like an absolute sitter but only managed to hit 1....

Did anyone shoot Sporting Targets today reg 100? There was a rabbit on stand 11 that looked like an absolute sitter but only managed to hit 1....
I didn't, but if it's the one that runs down the bank under gravity you were probably in front.  They have it on their practice stands all the time. Needs to be shot with an almost static gun, i.e. rifle it.  Any gun speed at all and you push in front. Caught me out in the past...

I didn't, but if it's the one that runs down the bank under gravity you were probably in front.  They have it on their practice stands all the time. Needs to be shot with an almost static gun, i.e. rifle it.  Any gun speed at all and you push in front. Caught me out in the past...
It was a bit further down in the last Sportrap area, very close and medium speed so not much time to shoot it!

That's the one! Any luck?
Yes to my great surprise I hit them all! In fact I was so surprised I hit the first one that  I missed the first report midi looper!! I thought there was a good mix of targets there and enjoyed the shoot. Nice squad of friendly shooters as well.

Churchills today.  Bit less trigger flinching today (although still enough to cost me two targets) and no real hanging onto stuff (apart from maybe one quartering away on 5). Straight on first three stands, then couldn't find a rl midi crosser.  Stretched out the lead more on three successive tries, before halving it and connecting right in the middle!  Wasn't the only crosser I overled today, did the same on a low rl on Stand 9.  Rest I was OK on, just the odd one or two away.  Back in the 80's with an 85.

First time at Redricks for me yesterday. Knowing that Phil generally put on a course which is regarded by most as slightly on the stiffer side, I did turn up with the expectation of having my backside handed to me on a plate.  All very good targets, and nothing unhittable (is that even a word?) although there were plenty that needed a decent plan before stepping up to the cage. Even managed to hit the big bird of the day on stand 10. Only the once mind you. 

I think the weather took it's toll on most of the shooters, and especially the refs . I'll take my hat off to the 2 that scored 90 and 92 (HG). That was some work in that weather. I made a few silly mistakes on the way round, and had a proper wobble on stand 9.  Finished on 71, which looking at the scores was mid table in B. I've not shot for 3 weeks, and only just about got over covid for the 2nd time, so I'm not disappointed with that score. Really enjoyed the course and certainly didn't leave the ground feeling like I'd had my pants pulled down. 

Looking forward to giving Redricks another go when the weather cools off a bit.
I only hit 74 around there, good round I cannot really blame the heat as I don't mind it just didn't shoot well. Shot east of England today slightly softer round than usual but still entertaining I hit 88 but missed 3 on the last stand so it should have started with a 9.

College Farm today and got really beaten up by three stands (and lightly bruised by one other). Three of them I should have done better on, massively overleading a quick battue and a relatively straighforward left to right crosser cost 6 that I shouldn't have missed.  The sim pair of Stand 6 was always going to beat me.  Shot the second half a bit better, but the damage was done early on. Finished 7 off my average and should have been closer to it on the targets that were there - 71.

Only redeeming feature was that I had the pleasure of being on Mr Hewlands squad.

Last edited by a moderator:
I always enjoy College. Great to be with mates including Bebo today. I do think it was one of their tougher courses, with a few tough sim stands that would have been fine on report! It was blustery today which didn’t assist our cause. I’ve just started shooting better lately but I still ended up on 83, under-average, as was the whole squad. 

So, yesterday being near perfect shooting weather I decided to venture down to Meadowcroft having heard good reports about the much needed layout changes. Some weeks back Robin Heal from Somerset Shooting had run a couple of shoots there and created lots of new shooting positions and the Meadowcroft team have kept them up.

I thought it was one of the best balanced shoots I've ever attended. Some good longish targets but nothing stupid, nothing on the end of the barrel either and good selection of in between. There were no gimmes and every stand needed attention. With lots of trees and hedges around if you didn't look carefully at where the target appeared it was easy to leak targets through wrong hold points - as I found out! 

I know Meadowcroft is out of range for many but based on yesterday I can recommend it as a much improved shoot for those who don't care for the vanity shoots. Dorian Evans took HG with 94 which was very well played on that course.

Scores aren't up on CPSA yet, no idea why, but class winners are on Meadowcroft FB page.

AGL today. My first shoot in over 4 months due to enforced absence. I was fully expectant of a poor score.

The first (possibly 5 maybe 6) stands were very close, nothing really requiring a hint of a gap. Quite fiddly and care required. I dropped 2 across these. 

Stand 8 caught me out for 2 on the quartering bird as I was stupid enough not to look at the trap position and gave them too much before peering right and realising my error. 

Very happy to straight stand 10 - a pair of midis right to left and left to right crossers respectively. Biggest targets of the day. 

Peeved to then drop 1 more on stand 11 following all sorts of no birds on the second clay. It can’t be helped but it was over and over again despite a battery change.

Finished on 93 which given the lay-off I’m very pleased with. 

AGL for me too. I didn't make last months, but this felt like on of the easier shoots there for a while. Turned up a bit early so had a bit of a walk round. Bumped into Mr Hewland, and met Bebo for the first time.

Today was definitely a skeet/skeet day. Unusual for AGL.

The black clay on stand 1 I thought was a poor choice. Quite a few people struggled to see it.

Dropped one on each of first few of stands. Wouldn't normally mind that too much, but it was always one of the last pair. Getting lazy.

Was feeling fairly happy with myself until stand 10. First up to shoot. Wrong kill point & method on the first, and overleading the 2nd. By the time I'd corrected, I'd already dropped 4 on that one. 

Managed to finish on an 89. New PB for me. Time for a beer!!

AGL for me too. I didn't make last months, but this felt like on of the easier shoots there for a while. Turned up a bit early so had a bit of a walk round. Bumped into Mr Hewland, and met Bebo for the first time.

Today was definitely a skeet/skeet day. Unusual for AGL.

The black clay on stand 1 I thought was a poor choice. Quite a few people struggled to see it.

Dropped one on each of first few of stands. Wouldn't normally mind that too much, but it was always one of the last pair. Getting lazy.

Was feeling fairly happy with myself until stand 10. First up to shoot. Wrong kill point & method on the first, and overleading the 2nd. By the time I'd corrected, I'd already dropped 4 on that one. 

Managed to finish on an 89. New PB for me. Time for a beer!!
Well shot. Yes a bit funny for AGL, although I was surprised to see 34 people hitting 90 or more as it was so fiddly in places. Says a lot for skill level of shooting at the moment. I started ok, then just couldn’t straight a stand, which sent me down the order. Quite an enjoyable shoot overall though. 

Good to meet you Daz and well shot.

Four straights, four stands of 1 away and four that cost me most of my misses. Stand 2 I dropped 3 on the lr crossers, was just behind them. Dropped 2 of the first birds on the sim on Stand 4, pushing past them in my hurry to get them done and onto thd 2nd bird. The rabbit stand was my biggest disaster - only scored 3, missed the first 2 rabbits over the top and I'm crap at quartering targets. Stand 10 I missed the first 3 clays out, hit the rest - overleading on all of them.

Most pleasing moments, powdering all the 2nd targets on Stand 1 and hitting all the drivens. Finished on 83, happy enough with that.

Garlands today for the West Midlands CPSA "Clubman", this a 12 shooter (4 each from A B & C class) team event with all scores to count both in class and overall. Not been to the place since last such event in 2019, its a 206 mile round trip, having said that its well kept, decent footpaths all-round, good facilities (very much needed these days) and a busy cafe was so impressed that I do wish it was closer, a ground that is close to me could learn a trick or two Im sure. Bumped into a couple of county chums so shot in a group of three, they shot well, no actually one, Mark Buckley shot it quite superbly, 95 and he was Hgun on day, me, well I shot like me only on a not so good day, a team event and as Ive said to another county stalwart I was the teams sheet anchor, or something that sounds very similar. Did hear a few query colours / clays, well as an old geezer with dodgy mince pies I could clearly see every clay, and yes it would have been nice to hit a few more but hey ho it was not to be. Found out when home county "won" the event, my little effort meant something after all, though I stood on the rest of the teams shoulders today, I owe.

Went to Eriswell Lodge today for the Rod Carter Gifford Memorial Shoot. Never knew the chap, but it was raising money for Addenbrookes, so a worthy cause.

100 bird AR(?) - 25 Double Rise, 25 Looper Skeet, 25 Sportrap & 25 Sporting. I've only ever shot sporting, and I know looper skeet isn't an actual discipline, but I thought I'd give it a bash.

Double Rise - yeah, you can keep that. Seems likes a discipline designed to make you burn through cartridges and clays as quick as possible. And I suck at it.

Looper Skeet - same rules as skeet, but with with low(ish) fast loopers. Unusual, but fun.

Sporting  - Done alright there, didn't note my score, but didn't drop too many.

Sportrap - Enjoyed this. 2x L-R, 1x R-L , 1x rabbit & 1 R-L looper. Thought one of the L-R birds could have been swapped out for a teal or crow, to make it more varied, but it was good nevertheless. Scored 20 ex 25 on that. Might give a registered sportrap a go...........

Latest posts

Back