Sporting shoots. Your personal accounts. 2022

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah toyed with OSS today, but couldn’t face 100mile round trip for 10 stands of fibre so didn’t. Glad to hear 12 stands are on the way, so maybe next time. 

Yeah toyed with OSS today, but couldn’t face 100mile round trip for 10 stands of fibre so didn’t. Glad to hear 12 stands are on the way, so maybe next time. 
You've been so aware how "intimate" the place is, despite constrictions no crossing targets which Ive been finding on larger courses, the hoped & rumoured extending is past what is always St10, work on a pathway is underway and from St10 it does very much look like there is ample scope for a few more stands. Earwigging there was some mention that their client base is also wanting more options / variety / stands, to quote from the Kevin Costner film  "build it and they will come" 

now do I go to Gunsite or Westfield Sunday 🤔
Same thinking here - or it was until last night when the wife went down with sickness and diarrhoea. I'm okay but the trouble is I'm in the middle of a course of chemo and vulnerable to infections as my immune system is compromised - or so I'm told - so I can't risk being away from home for any length of time.

Fingers crossed I can squeeze in to Cefn Tilla for the Supersporting on Tuesday. 🤞

Westfield for us and a friend and an enjoyable course made better by meeting and having a chat with Westward from above 🤗 Only 1 breakdown but fairly quiet all round and went stand to stand without waiting.  Only 1 stand I mucked up, the driven! I’m fine when they come in straight or to the right but these came into the left and I struggle with these, I only hit 3/8 but Steve very kindly let me have another 10 after the shoot had finished 👏👏 and by not following the sheep and taking them out front hit them.  Lesson learnt. 

Honesbiere for me today. 

Good targets , few stands were harder than first impressions. Very enjoyable shoot.

Took a couple of stands to warm up then got into it, untill the bottom field, stand 7 4/10 and stand 9 2/8. Few no birds on st9 ,which seem to send me scatty.  Worst 2 stands for me. 

Score was just under average, happy enough with that. Booked into Northampton next week. 

Honesberie for me too. Couple of breakdowns on stand 3 and 4, but apart from that a really enjoyable day. Only the 2nd time I've shot there, and I think it's a really nice shoot. Mind you, I thing parking in the wet might be a bit of an issue.

I though stand 4? was a very clever sim pair. R-L crosser and a L-R looper. A fair few people having serious thoughts on which one to shoot first.

Kicked myself on a couple of stands, dropped 3 of the B birds on stand 2 due a poor gun hold point. Dropped a simple pair on stand 11 due to not even mounting the gun properly. Walked away from that one thinking WTF was I doing!!! I don't mind dropping targets if it's a tricky target, but not mounting the gun properly is a stupid mistake.

Thought I shot worse than I actually did though. Finished on 81, which equalled my PB on a registered shoot, so I'm happy.

Last edited by a moderator:
dropped 3 of the B birds on stand 2 due a poor gun hold point.
Same for me. Another one where I walked up to the stand thinking I'd get more than I did. 

Heard the rabbit on ST5 broke down not so long after my squad. It didn't sound well when we shot it

Also Honesberie for me.

Another good course IMO.  Apart from general tattiness, I fell apart on stand 9. 4/8. Missed one midi crosser and only hit the last high looper. It needed almost no lead at all, but I struggled to control the gun as it was suddenly there and drew me in to overreacting. Devious.

I missed one each on first three stands, which felt daft. Stand 2, my first target was really low and caught me out. Borderline no-bird really..

A bit of travel and change coming up for me this week. Jack Pyke at Sporting Targets Wednesday and Northampton on Sunday, both grounds I very rarely get to.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cambridgeshire sporting championship at East of England yesterday. Excellent round of clays with plenty of variety and interesting clays. John Lee is involved in setting the targets and every shoot is enjoyable but I think this one was his best yet. Lot of talk about dwindling numbers but there were 168 entries and just shows if the effort is put in then people will still go. 
On a personal note I had a better day with 83 but could do better on not dropping what should be straightforward targets! Bl**dy rabbits!

Westfield for us and a friend and an enjoyable course made better by meeting and having a chat with Westward from above 🤗 Only 1 breakdown but fairly quiet all round and went stand to stand without waiting.  Only 1 stand I mucked up, the driven! I’m fine when they come in straight or to the right but these came into the left and I struggle with these, I only hit 3/8 but Steve very kindly let me have another 10 after the shoot had finished 👏👏 and by not following the sheep and taking them out front hit them.  Lesson learnt. 
Hi Donna. Always nice to put a face to a name and of course Phil as he gets mentioned on here too.

As for the shoot I thought it was a pretty good course but truth to tell I wasn't really firing on all cylinders, much like last time out. 

I think I'll probably quit registered until September or October by which time the old body should have got over the chemo.

Hi Donna. Always nice to put a face to a name and of course Phil as he gets mentioned on here too.

As for the shoot I thought it was a pretty good course but truth to tell I wasn't really firing on all cylinders, much like last time out. 

I think I'll probably quit registered until September or October by which time the old body should have got over the chemo.
All the best with it John! 

Churchills today and a very mixed bag for me. Good start, good finish, some really woobly bits in between. Struggled on the crosser from the scaffold and hit or miss on the next stand as well. Couple of other dodgy stands on the way around, low orange crossers being my bane today. Finished on 79, but at least six sloppy misses amongst the losses.

Churchill for us too.  I took day off and had been told no spaces but Phil said take gun and see.  10 mins before his start time I was told I was able to shoot, so quickly got ready and off we went. Started well, I was shooting directly after Phil and he became ill on the platform, really dizzy, shaking, blurred vision, felt sick etc so I ended up being worried about him and we both didn’t shoot as well as we could have.  There was about 8 targets I really shouldn’t have missed but did and it was so hot it was uncomfortable. Had plenty to drink and took oat bars etc with us but no one on our squad shot that well due to the heat. 

Hope Phil's better. It was unpleasantly hot, even walking between stands was knackering.

Jack Pyke at Sporting Targets today. Start time of 13:20. Toasty. I was quite glad that the first 10 stands were in the "Plantation", which offered a good amount of shade. Also most stands had a water station, even some apples to munch on. 

Lots of close in stuff, think I shot 8 of the first 10 stands with skeet and cylinder. First time on a competition that I've thought to myself "should have bought some 9's along".  Stand 10 was the days card killer. Never found the B bird at all. Struggled up on the stand 4 platform too, missed  most of the rabbits. Think I was going over the top of them. Couple of silly mistakes on a few others stands and ended up on a 98.

Hope Phil's better. It was unpleasantly hot, even walking between stands was knackering.
Better today thanks, just all of a sudden on any platform looking down through the inserts in his glasses makes him feel ill and giddy, he’s been complaining about his ears too so he went and had them checked today and one was really waxy so had them “vacuumed” and they told him that would be making him feel unbalanced so hopefully next shoot he’s sorted!  

Has anyone got a recommendation for a shoot on Sunday in the central south? I can't find anything on the CPSA site.

I'm in NE Hampshire

Has anyone got a recommendation for a shoot on Sunday in the central south? I can't find anything on the CPSA site.

I'm in NE Hampshire
No. I’m forced to do Northampton in desperation. Great ground but I don’t need to to travel up there usually. I’ve had covid the last week, so had to cancel several shoots, so I am keen to get out. 

Jack Pyke at Sporting Targets today. Start time of 13:20. Toasty. I was quite glad that the first 10 stands were in the "Plantation", which offered a good amount of shade. Also most stands had a water station, even some apples to munch on. 

Lots of close in stuff, think I shot 8 of the first 10 stands with skeet and cylinder. First time on a competition that I've thought to myself "should have bought some 9's along".  Stand 10 was the days card killer. Never found the B bird at all. Struggled up on the stand 4 platform too, missed  most of the rabbits. Think I was going over the top of them. Couple of silly mistakes on a few others stands and ended up on a 98.
What was the presentation on Stand 10?

What was the presentation on Stand 10?
Shooting from up on the metal platform in the plantation, left to right crosser, then one going away from the bottom right of the "field" up towards the top right.  Two young lads on  our squad hit 6/8, but a fair few came away with 2 or 3 

Back