Sporting Shoots; where- and how was it? (2018)

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gunsite for me also,haven’t shot for quite a few weeks.Thought it was a very good shoot,enjoyed the big loopers and the shoot in general.Finished on 91,most of what I missed were sloppy silly ones.Happy enough as I haven’t been in great form of late.👍

Saw the weather this morning and made a judgement call. Stayed in and caught up with loads of jobs that I’ve been putting off. 

Fly out to Spain on Friday for some Quail shooting 👌

Westfield for me in the rain.  Fitasc and then Sporting.  Both very enjoyable shoots and a lovely squad but I don’t think I’ll be doing Fitasc in the bad weather again.  So uncomfortable.   I blanked a hoop completely and managed a dismal 8 on that particular layout.  Just couldn’t get my act together.  Bit disheartening when I started well with a 20.  The last two layouts 18 a piece. I would have loved it on a nice summer’s day.   Sporting less rain on and off really.  Again started badly missing 10 on my first 3 stands but picked up and finished on 80.  Martin Myers obviously felt he dropped too many so last stand off the hip and I think he still got more than me 😂. He did spend a few minutes helping me afterwards to tackle a driven which as you all know by now is the devil incarnate.  So much washing and cleaning and drying when we got home.   Worst part of winter shooting.  Damn just remembered I’m supposed to shoot Fitasc next weekend for the county. They may find themselves one short.

Westfield for me only doing the sporting, my last stand... no 3.. odd malfunction, only throwing clays intermittently, allegedly a number of stand went down at the same time.

Had a quick chat to Tony and Sian, both looked a trifle damp from the morning downpour.

Weekend away in the van.  Somerset Shooting Ground on Friday, good course and avoided the rain.  Usual mess ups on sim pairs and driven, otherwise it was only the odd ones or twos dropped here and there.  Finished on 74, but should have been better.

Visit to Mendip Shooting Ground on Saturday for some practice.  Nice place, not the most challenging targets, but fun none the less. Good gun shop, seem to have come home with a Perazzi MX12 (not for me, I would never be unfaithful to Adolf, my Krieghoff).

Sunday was planning on Gunsite, but as we drove through Wiltshire it was absolutely bucketing it down, so we decided to head back home.  Dry by the time we hit the M25 so we called in at Gatton Bottom.  Wished we hadn't.  Rain started two stands in and I shot poorly.  Couple of targets I wasn't surprised to struggle on, but also missed loads that I shouldn't have for a 69. 

Saturday 120 target auto shoot at Northampton SG. Brilliant shoot making full use of the three shot option.

Sunday 100 Reg. Sporting at East of England SG. Their second registered sporting shoot and what a good one too! Great variety of targets set by John Lee. 

Weekend away in the van.  Somerset Shooting Ground on Friday, good course and avoided the rain.  Usual mess ups on sim pairs and driven, otherwise it was only the odd ones or twos dropped here and there.  Finished on 74, but should have been better.

Visit to Mendip Shooting Ground on Saturday for some practice.  Nice place, not the most challenging targets, but fun none the less. Good gun shop, seem to have come home with a Perazzi MX12 (not for me, I would never be unfaithful to Adolf, my Krieghoff).

Sunday was planning on Gunsite, but as we drove through Wiltshire it was absolutely bucketing it down, so we decided to head back home.  Dry by the time we hit the M25 so we called in at Gatton Bottom.  Wished we hadn't.  Rain started two stands in and I shot poorly.  Couple of targets I wasn't surprised to struggle on, but also missed loads that I shouldn't have for a 69. 
Bebo, I finally got my gun 🤗! Took it down to get Teagues in today, should be done by next Thursday then dropping off to Nigel Teague (he doesn’t know yet as he’s on holiday!) once we’ve got hold of him to get the stock shortened slightly.  Going to be a few weeks before I can shoot it but glad it’s going to be right from the start. No excuses now! 

86F4D185-B58B-4CE7-AC96-6E8A89911D26.jpeg

7EF0013B-6CC2-4069-836F-2DB7D7DC3438.jpeg

Bebo, I finally got my gun 🤗! Took it down to get Teagues in today, should be done by next Thursday then dropping off to Nigel Teague (he doesn’t know yet as he’s on holiday!) once we’ve got hold of him to get the stock shortened slightly.  Going to be a few weeks before I can shoot it but glad it’s going to be right from the start. No excuses now! 

View attachment 7904

View attachment 7905
How exciting! Maybe we should start a club.

p.s. That's a nice sofa. We have a very similar one which is about 15 years old now and just getting run in nicely.
Funny that, I was going to ask donna if she'd broken into my house to take that photo.  Same floor and similar sofa (although ours is over 20 years, much tattier and heading towards the breakers yard)

That’s funny! We sold our house last week so are renting for a year! The leather sofa is ours and is old but will be fine for another year or so and the fabric one came with the house (even though it’s supposed to be unfurnished).  Guess which one Pip wants to lie on all the time!  

Saturday 120 target auto shoot at Northampton SG. Brilliant shoot making full use of the three shot option.

Sunday 100 Reg. Sporting at East of England SG. Their second registered sporting shoot and what a good one too! Great variety of targets set by John Lee. 
Did you get wet at East of England ?  I got absolutely soaked. good shoot though. 

Did you get wet at East of England ?  I got absolutely soaked. good shoot though. 
Yes we got there at about 10.00 and sat there talking until gone 11.00 hoping it would clear up. Eventuality decided to brave the horrendous rain and of course it cleared up just as we finished🤨 Wet weather gear stood up to it quite well but worst bit was trying to shoot with rain on the glasses. Worth the effort though - still enjoyed it!

Yes we got there at about 10.00 and sat there talking until gone 11.00 hoping it would clear up. Eventuality decided to brave the horrendous rain and of course it cleared up just as we finished🤨 Wet weather gear stood up to it quite well but worst bit was trying to shoot with rain on the glasses. Worth the effort though - still enjoyed it!
My mates really struggled with rain on their glasses but I must admit I never really notice it. 

Whats happened to Will Hewland? He hasn’t posted anything for ages, miss his reports and opinions on shoots

Jonz

Meadowcroft today, this after I had a pleasant afternoon at Coleys on the saturday where I bumped into a chum and we, having looked at forecast decided to go to Markham early doors. Been a good while since last here and there have been noticeable improvements to ground, new buildings and laid aggregate paths, so no ankle deep mud baths despite the heavy overnight rain. Enjoyed the shoot, started, as is my way very well but after a handful of stands a few wobbles then the car crash, its the between ears bit so no hope really, and oh yes I could / should have done better then that's how most of us always feel, course was 13 stands all scorers where attentive, all very observant as did have one or three very small chippy hits, due to wobbles etc, mid 60s & chum Stew Keen shot well for an 88 just a few behind then HG Richard King 94 (I think) but there was still a fair few scores to come in. In short went out shot with more smiles than frowns saw a fair few friendly faces, sunny day too so what's not to like!

Owls thursday, and if all goes well/to plan A will be at AGL friday, might see some of you at either.

Whats happened to Will Hewland? He hasn’t posted anything for ages, miss his reports and opinions on shoots

Jonz
Aw shucks.. Just decided to have a break from this site (but would be rude not to answer you). Various reasons.

I did also have a really good run of shoots recently and it would have seemed a bit much to come on and crow about it. Don’t worry, it’s all over, the last three have been very shabby.

As I’m writing, may as well mention I did Honesberie today. Very damp under foot, didn’t take boots, so spent most of it avoiding mud. An excellent shoot, but definitely a toughie. Nick Hollick says he didn’t want it straighted again, so I blame Richard Faulds! Anyway only 83 today and I was reminded that once its tough it makes me miss for other reasons. Too many times I missed a pair on a stand that I was doing well on. Sheer over-trying. 

Anyway, see many of you about the shoots. I too plan Owls and AGL this week.

Last edited by a moderator:
Practice day today, spent at Dartford on the Compak and Sporting. Putting a lot of the things covered with Mark Winser into practice - repetition, repetition, repetition.. it’s all starting to slowly click so fingers crossed for some decent form late 2019 into 2020. 

South Wales 2000 for me today after the rugby. Pleasantly surprised that there wasn’t the usual 70 yd edge on crossers or clays screaming from the trap layouts.

keep this up and you’ll get more entries as word spreads that you’ve finally listened to shooters.......

course was 13 stands all scorers where attentive, all very observant
Meadowcroft also but my day didn't start well. 1st the ATM at J Sainsbury took my card and didn't give me any cash, then the A46 was closed south of M4 junction and it took 35 minutes to do the 2 mile diversion and then I managed to rip a fingernail hurrying to get my kit out of the boot.

Funny course I thought. Pretty soft mostly, one or two eyesight tests and some slower targets quite wind affected, but only a couple of stands were gimmes, the rest needed respect otherwise targets could leak away from you. (Guilty your honour!).

Stand 1 spoilt my card since it was very hard to pick up the A bird early as it was in the sky and really should have either been set lower or loaded with orange clays rather than white. Being forced to shoot the A bird very late meant it was tough to make a good move on the B bird. Poor target setting IMO.

Back