Sporting shoots. Where - and how did it go?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wasn't it hot today, got a bit too warm for me but didn't stop me shooting.  Started at Hornet which was of medium difficulty I would say and I enjoyed it finishing on a 79/100 then onto Westonwood where again heat drained everyone but a good shoot where you let the odd silly one get away over and over but I was overall pleased with my 77/100 - only one bird I would have liked to have another go at.  Collected my two wins from last week which was a nice £102 to go back into the shooting pool.

I think it's worth mentioning James Attwood's 100 straight at Greenfields today  :cool: , Kevin Howland's 96 would have won it most days and shows it was no skeet layout, I made 2-3 unforced errors for 93 which was outside the money. Highly tidy darts James. 
Tonne Eighty.........it don't get any better. And Mr Consistent 2nd. Well done you Kentish Men ?

Somerley yesterday. It was a bit too warm, one of those rare days that make me wish I had bought one of those string vest type shooting vests, but I shouldn't complain.

This fifty bird layout is a firm favourite with myself and the gang with which I shoot. It's 25 simultaneous pairs, which pushes the shooters through a bit quicker and it makes me think hard about which one to shoot first. I get it wrong on with depressing frequency, but yesterday I was doing Ok and feeling good about my general performance.  After five stands I had managed to drop 2 birds, irritatingly simple targets where sloppiness got the better of me.

Then we had a stand where two right-to-left crossers appeared from the crown of the right hand trees and sped off into the left hand tree. The first bird to appear was the last bird to disappear, but I had immense difficulty remembering that in the heat of the moment, so dropped a couple there.

The penultimate stand looked easy-peasy, with a pair of high and quite distant lazy left-to-right crossers which sort of fainted half way across the clearing and plummetted to earth. It was the transition from graceful to plummet that had me fooled, it wasn't very predictable and I dropped four on that stand, which was a bit disappointing. The next shooter had it all sorted, and presented with three pairs that intersected each other twice - once while being graceful and the next time while plumetting - he managed all six with an apparent lack of effort that was the hallmark of simply showing off. He's off my Christmas Card list, of course.

I ended up with a 41 ex 50 which I had hoped until the fifth stand would be considerably healthier. It appears that others had similar troubles and when I left I wasn't too far down the board.

Sadly after 32 years Somerley will cease to operate as a clay shoot. October's shoot will be the last as the landowners have decided to seek greater income from other activities. I will miss this popular venue, they do it right.

"Sadly after 32 years Somerley will cease to operate as a clay shoot. October's shoot will be the last as the landowners have decided to seek greater income from other activities. I will miss this popular venue, they do it right."

It is a real disapointment that we are losing out to the airsoft brigade with there toy guns,have to say i saw it coming from a long way off RIP Somerley

Last edited by a moderator:
Since nobody else seems to have chipped in .....

FEDECAT at Garlands. Bit of a drive for me. 3 hours up 3 hours back thanks to sat nat with 'danger areas warnings', you know the kind that go 'flash' 'flash' in quick succession if you drive through the area too quickly.

A great 2 days old style Fitasc with no gun position rule. Steve Lovatt set the targets but kept them shootable for mortals ( well most mortals some of us had a new gun and cartridges to contend with ........ that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it! ) The grounds were pretty, the operation ran well. A good days shooting in glorious weather.

On 19/06/2016 at 7:58 PM, Doug Pinnegar said:
Dunno why this ^^^^ is here.

Anyhow. England selection shoot at for us today at Barbury. Very entertaining but tough course.... only one target not fair for me was the pink one on stand 9. Almost impossible to see properly .few sloppy ones away for me. Nice to shoot reg at a different place .enjoyed it. Also managed to have a brain fart on stand 8. Big looper and midi at distance which I somehow managed to try and shoot with skeet and quarter. Doh.

Jasper.

Went for ESP and Compak practice at Carl Bloxham's on Saturday. Then today 100 Reg at Westfield where I managed a new PB for the ground with 72/100 which gave me 3rd place.

As ever it was a great selection of targets and all ran very smoothly apart from a strange number of no birds which is being investigated.

Dunno why this ^^^^ is here.

Anyhow. England selection shoot at for us today at Barbury. Very entertaining but tough course.... only one target not fair for me was the pink one on stand 9. Almost impossible to see properly .few sloppy ones away for me. Nice to shoot reg at a different place .enjoyed it. Also managed to have a brain fart on stand 8. Big looper and midi at distance which I somehow managed to try and shoot with skeet and quarter. Doh.

Jasper.
I also found that target hard to see, just really not good for me the pinks/oranges on some backgrounds and it was very quick so no time for me to focus on it.  I shot stand 9 as I did all the stands with Skeet and cylinder, I got three of the first and one of the second.  Watched a lot of shooters miss so was happy to get 4/8.

Went for ESP and Compak practice at Carl Bloxham's on Saturday. Then today 100 Reg at Westfield where I managed a new PB for the ground with 72/100 which gave me 3rd place.

As ever it was a great selection of targets and all ran very smoothly apart from a strange number of no birds which is being investigated.
Well done Doug ?

Shot AGL for the first time yesterday. Arrived late due to taking a detour off the M4. Nice little ground and some fairly stiff targets. Dropped 6 on stand 6 - took me too long to find the longer lead on 2nd bird and didn't hit any of the first edgy bird. Dropped one off the tower R-L when the sun was out and couldn't even see the clay - I should have just waited for cloud cover.

Luckily missed any rain but the humidity was very high. Fair play my oakleys didn't steam up once.

Finished on a fairly tepid 66 leaking too many of the easier birds although that got me 3rd in C. Looks like it was a tougher shoot with HG of 92. Well done Sian on C class win and Ross on A!

I assume they only pay HG and class wins? They have me down as targets only but I paid £38.50 for a comp entry.

M4 was a mess again on the way home.

Southdown this morning.  Lovely weather and good targets.  A couple were affected by the sun, but I think that was because we were quite early and it would have been better for the later shooters.  Far from being my best performance, but I enjoyed it nonetheless.

Terrible day for me; excellent courses but head completely out of the game which shows in the results. 

Garlands 120 bird, ended up on 58%

Honesberie 100 bird, ended up on 59%

Again, both really nice courses just let myself down with being a bit too tired and couldn't get in the zone at all.

I should have quit whilst I was ahead and not shot the second shoot!

Southdown this morning.  Lovely weather and good targets.  A couple were affected by the sun, but I think that was because we were quite early and it would have been better for the later shooters.  Far from being my best performance, but I enjoyed it nonetheless.
I left stand 11 with blue and orange rings in my vision. That first clay kill point was dead in the sun. Should have refused it and come back later. Not a good days shooting for me and even worse on the sporttrap. Got a very good start, dropped just 1 on the first 4 stands and then the wheels just fell off :(

Charles shot a 96 on the sporttrap and was well pleased with that. I dont blame him!

Scores aside it was a truly glorious day and I found myself thinking how bloody fortunate I am compared to the vast majority of people these days.

Think I was slightly after you as it came out of the sun when I was shooting it, but my eyes were too dazzled to see it properly.  Only managed to hit one of them.  I think it was stand 5 as well that I ended up looking straight into the sun to see the second bird on the sim pair.  Wheels fell off for me on the sim pair of left to right crossers and it took me ages to get my concentration back again, too late to do me much good.  Never mind, onwards and upwards.

Got my first registered 90+ today at Southdown with a 93 which I'm over the moon with, come close a couple of times with some high 80s so this was nice to get over the finish line.

I did get a bit lucky with the target which was coming out of the sun as the clouds just started rolling in but the rest of it I just felt in complete control.

Thanks to Rosso for shooting first on the last four or five stands so I could have a really good look at the targets.

Got my first registered 90+ today at Southdown with a 93 which I'm over the moon with, come close a couple of times with some high 80s so this was nice to get over the finish line.

I did get a bit lucky with the target which was coming out of the sun as the clouds just started rolling in but the rest of it I just felt in complete control.

Thanks to Rosso for shooting first on the last four or five stands so I could have a really good look at the targets.
I wasn't going to see you mess that card up even if I did get blinded on 11?. All down to you buddy and a pleasure to assist.

I wasn't going to see you mess that card up even if I did get blinded on 11?.
It was good of the scorer to let you have a couple of goes at that one to prove you could hit it when the cloud cover was there. Nice to meet you both today.

I need a new plan for Rabbits as there was 3 stands with them on today (13 rabbits) and only managed to hit 1, which put a very big dent in the score card, but pleased with a 68 had a few where I missed the first bird out.

Horne and Southdown for me today.  Rubbish journey from Horne to Southdown and a rubbish journey home due to the cycle event and road closures but enjoyed my shooting although by the time I shot the sportrap I was lagging as It got quite muggy and I was tired.  We were last squad out and only 3 of us. Horne 81/100 got Ladies.  Southdown 76/100 and 76/100.  

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back