Sporting shoots. Where - and how did it go?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
this may help.https://www.cpsa.co.uk/userfiles/file/ClubmanClassicRulesRegsv10.pdf   yes, as far as i know , anyone can shoot, the more the merrier,,however, only eligible shooters qualify for the league  as such. , ie, c and b class or not cpsa registered,, which is a snag when a shooter has stopped cpsa membership, but is very capable.,,, if you follow me  :cool:
Thank you

Yes I am, each team can have as many C class & unregistered shooters and max of 4 B class shooters.  I'm about to go up to A but will be able to shoot as I was B when the competition series started. 
Thank you.

I was just talking about this with Jim.  I kind of wish it was for C class registered shooters only.  I've witnessed some shooting at the clubmans that was of such a high standard.  If they were a registered shot they would be at least an A, but they have never been registered and have no intention to. 

Dan, you're always welcome to come down to our place (StoneStile) and see what a strawbailer with big aspirations can do. we have no permanent infrastructure, but we'll put on a cracking 70 bird shoot.  I pride myself on learning new target presentations all the time. We have a bbq running on the clubman shoot, and the toilets are amazing.  They're 200 acres........ pick your tree/bush  

I was just talking about this with Jim.  I kind of wish it was for C class registered shooters only.  I've witnessed some shooting at the clubmans that was of such a high standard.  If they were a registered shot they would be at least an A, but they have never been registered and have no intention to. 

Dan, you're always welcome to come down to our place (StoneStile) and see what a strawbailer with big aspirations can do. we have no permanent infrastructure, but we'll put on a cracking 70 bird shoot.  I pride myself on learning new target presentations all the time. We have a bbq running on the clubman shoot, and the toilets are amazing.  They're 200 acres........ pick your tree/bush  
I'd have no problem with it just being C class shooters, to be honest I was only shooting yesterday as Bramley were struggling for numbers.  

This isn't me purely criticising the targets, I dont mind shooting difficult targets (as I do at registered competitions each week) but more the target setter putting on extreme targets for sake of it especially in relation to the level of shooter the competition was aimed at. 

We've all been to shoots like that, and come away feeling the same. 

I use our beautiful Sussex topography to throw some great birds.  Everything hittable.  I've started to think a lot more about the slow/low/sloppy/tricky stuff that makes a shooter think rather than just whipping a gun through a big crosser.  This is mainly because i'm tits at big crossers :)

Got lots to work on though.  I need to build a scaffold tower in one of my woods, and i'd love a scissor lift. I need to build a proper access track with some crush and roadstone too.

We're a long way off but the future site of the Sussex Masters is nicely taking shape :)

Sunday went to Meadowcroft and went round with Tony Pewsey and Stew Keen, they continue to make small improvements at the ground so much do that despite the dreaded hill its easier to get around than the muddy bog it was a year ago, both Stew and Tony shot very well 80+ both, LordP in the B class money Stew 1 away from it in A, the superstars in AA well into the 90's those fellows set the bar ridiculously high everywhere.

Lovely day out at Southdown where for once it didn't rain.

Struggling a bit with sporting at the moment, didn't start well and finished on 70.  Keep going kill - kill, kill - loss, kill - kill, kill - loss and it's frustrating me.

I did however sort myself out on the sportrap and finished on 87, we did add it up as 89 at first but they've got it down as 87 so I'm not sure what I can do?

Lovely day out at Southdown where for once it didn't rain.

Struggling a bit with sporting at the moment, didn't start well and finished on 70.  Keep going kill - kill, kill - loss, kill - kill, kill - loss and it's frustrating me.

I did however sort myself out on the sportrap and finished on 87, we did add it up as 89 at first but they've got it down as 87 so I'm not sure what I can do?
Ring on Wednesday and just ask Helen to count again - I take picture now of my scores.  Nice to see you today and Paul.  I had a very bad day, all me - too tired and not feeling good.  The only thing I would say is there were two stands today where someone of my height struggled and it's not the only ground.  

Ring on Wednesday and just ask Helen to count again - I take picture now of my scores.  Nice to see you today and Paul.  I had a very bad day, all me - too tired and not feeling good.  The only thing I would say is there were two stands today where someone of my height struggled and it's not the only ground.  
Nice to see you and Tony to.

Was nice to watch Chris Childerhouse shoot the first sportrap layout as we were waiting in the next group.  To see someone at the top of their game shoot like he does is something else; it's quick and aggressive but so smooth and controlled at the same time.  

I like that ground, it's nice to make a day of it. I got there about 9, pool shoot at 930, then shot the sporting which took us until about 12, breakfast in the cafe, another go on the pool shoot, then the Sportrap at 130, then home.  It's over 80 miles each way for me so might as well make the most of everything that's on offer. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice to see you and Tony to.

Was nice to watch Chris Childerhouse shoot the first sportrap layout as we were waiting in the next group.  To see someone at the top of their game shoot like he does is something else; it's quick and aggressive but so smooth and controlled at the same time.  

I like that ground, it's nice to make a day of it. I got there about 9, pool shoot at 930, then shot the sporting which took us until about 12, breakfast in the cafe, another go on the pool shoot, then the Sportrap at 130, then home.  It's over 80 miles each way for me so might as well make the most of everything that's on offer. 
Well done, Paul first in class for sportrap and you second in class.

Anyone going to the premier league shoot at Cambridge today?  Shooting at 11.30 hope to see Some of you there.

Purbeck's mid week 100 bird sporting was last Wednesday, so off I went. Squadded with a number of the "usual suspects" we were treated to a highly enjoyable layout which presented a number of tricky/interesting/awkward birds in a variety of positions. A new one for me was standing on the scaffolding above the skeet layout, although I was relieved that the birds from there were black rather than the blaze which gives me so much grief.

In fact the "spotting blaze birds" debate that sprang from that stand continued throughout the shoot, with people swapping glasses, peering at targets, and generally comparing notes. It was a good squad, a laugh, good otters, and I stepped into the cage at least three times giggling like a schoolgirl from some wisecrack or other. The humour was of a high, dry, standard, and perhaps over-rode the shooting if I'm honest. Noticeably the chap who stood a little aside from the fluffy rabbits walloped the rest of us. He's a cracking good shot anyway, and a nice chap, but perhaps a better focus may have allowed the rest of us to achieve scores a little closer to his. In fact I know that of the many birds I missed a good half were simply down to lack of concentration.

It was a very enjoyable afternoon, the targets were well presented as one would expect of Purbeck. Sam, the ref, was his normal cheerful unflappable capable self.

I astonished myself with a "B" class win, although the low numbers probably contributed more to than anything I brought to the party. High Gun had a very respectable 95,  I would like to know which ones he dropped.

Interesting factoid: Three out of the first four places were shooting a Blaser F3. The other one picks his up from Mr Mulliner in a few days...

Thanks, Purbeck. I enjoyed that.

Looking forward to Pilford on Monday

Anyone going to the premier league shoot at Cambridge today?  Shooting at 11.30 hope to see Some of you there.
Yes also shot it at 11.30 start. I thought it was a fantastic shoot which ran very well and with a lot of effort having gone in to give a great variety of targets over 15 stands. We were lucky with the weather, being just about perfect for the shooting and barbecue. Congratulations to Mick and Karen for their continuing improvements at the ground.

I didn't shoot well but despite that really enjoyed the day out.

Yes also shot it at 11.30 start. I thought it was a fantastic shoot which ran very well and with a lot of effort having gone in to give a great variety of targets over 15 stands. We were lucky with the weather, being just about perfect for the shooting and barbecue. Congratulations to Mick and Karen for their continuing improvements at the ground.

I didn't shoot well but despite that really enjoyed the day out.
My first time there  and you can tell they are working hard to make it a lovely ground, tree planting and the like.  I enjoyed it also, a good mix of targets I thought.  I wish them continued success.

Shot the Premier League at Cambridge yesterday.

What a fantastic ground and that was one of the best round of targets I've ever shot, it's just a shame it's over hundred miles from where I live.

Shot a steady 80, felt more consistent straighting a few stands and dropping the odd one here and there but there were 4 targets that did me; midi driven on 9 (don't think o gave it enough), long R-L on 11 (thought I gave it the right lead but was underneath it, looked at it after and it was climbing slightly), long incomer on 14 and long L-R on 15 - didn't connect with one of them.

As I haven't been out much recently I shot both Honesberie and Weston Wood.

Honesberie had a really great selection of targets and I managed 71/100 which isn't too bad. No idea what other scores were like as I was one of the first people to finish.

Then Weston Wood was a lovely course as always and very quiet which meant you could get round really quickly. In fact, I had shot two competitions and had lunch and was home by 14:00! I finished on 74/100 at Weston which had me in 3rd but I'm certain that won't stick as there were a lot of people left out still shooting.

I've never shot two comps in a day and I was really noticing the tiredness kicking in for the second half of Weston. 

Shot the Premier League at Cambridge yesterday.

What a fantastic ground and that was one of the best round of targets I've ever shot, it's just a shame it's over hundred miles from where I live.

Shot a steady 80, felt more consistent straighting a few stands and dropping the odd one here and there but there were 4 targets that did me; midi driven on 9 (don't think o gave it enough), long R-L on 11 (thought I gave it the right lead but was underneath it, looked at it after and it was climbing slightly), long incomer on 14 and long L-R on 15 - didn't connect with one of them.
Midi driven on 9 did me as well! Strange as I am normally pretty good on driven.

Shoot Widdington today and managed a 70 despite completly blanking a stand, so was pretty pleased with this 70 was the 4th highest score in C when we left.. looking out for the incomimg clays midi's from the corner stand which were landing around the stand 8 i thnk, infact one hit a shooter on the shoulder seconds before he was about to shoot and one hit the scorer on the ankle as my wife was shooting. Then the wait for the corner stand was way too long, I think there was a breakdown before we even got to it, this stand was abit deceiving as if you stood back the midis looked a long way up and going very fast but if you stood next to the stand they were not very far away and skeet cokes did for both, only dropped 1 on this stand.

Its a lovely ground in a pleasent setting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back