Sporting shoots. Where - and how did it go?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well what a day.  Went to Southdown and did the sporting and sportrap.  Set my new adjustable stock up yesterday and tested it out today - very nice.  Very foggy at Southdown, lifted a bit but my eyes just don't do well in those conditions and the orange clays particularly were a strain.  Two layouts I didn't do very well at all.  Had time to spare so off to Gattom Bottom where there was a little fog.   Greed got the better of me because I was not at my best at Horne and my eyes were really tired and were blurry without the fog.  By the way it appears Southdown have gone back to using the other clays and today just the odd no bird which is to be expected.  Very enjoyable shoots.

Well what a day.  Went to Southdown and did the sporting and sportrap.  Set my new adjustable stock up yesterday and tested it out today - very nice.  Very foggy at Southdown, lifted a bit but my eyes just don't do well in those conditions and the orange clays particularly were a strain.  Two layouts I didn't do very well at all.  Had time to spare so off to Gattom Bottom where there was a little fog.   Greed got the better of me because I was not at my best at Horne and my eyes were really tired and were blurry without the fog.  By the way it appears Southdown have gone back to using the other clays and today just the odd no bird which is to be expected.  Very enjoyable shoots.
You won ladies at Horne, well shot.

55 at Horne today. I could have done better with my old golf clubs. how can you miss an extra 30 clays between two shoots? Disgraceful. My head was not in the game at all. Think I all but gave up after the first stand!

You won ladies at Horne, well shot.
Really, not a great score 64/100.  Won the Ladies sportrap at Southdown again not a great score 67/100.  Managed a 74/100 for the sporting at Southdown but ladies was won on 77/100.

55 at Horne today. I could have done better with my old golf clubs. how can you miss an extra 30 clays between two shoots? Disgraceful. My head was not in the game at all. Think I all but gave up after the first stand!
I know that feeling well.

Do the Horne results get posted anywhere? First visit today and what a contrast in temperatures compares to Four Counties last Sunday. Ditched my jumper after 3rd stand as was sweating .. Shot a 67 - shot top down and lost the plot on stand 2. Rest was just silly  1's, 2's and 3's all over.

Would definetely shoot there again. Glad they had put wood chippings over the mud otherwise the car park would have been fun.

Signing in I asked for birds only only to be asked did I not want my score uploaded to the  CPSA. Chap did not explain it very well but do they run 3 prices e.g. Practice, CPSA birds only and CPSA comp?

Managed 73/100 at Weston today which I was quite pleased with considering recent performances. Went with a couple friends, one of which has never shot a full sporting course. Within minutes of being home he signed up with the CPSA. I think it's safe to say that he enjoyed the shoot!

As ever, some great scores in C class (top 5 all 80+) so no where near a placing but a great  day out. Although I had to pay for my coffee this time as I didn't win one on the scratch card :-(

Weather is looking promising for this weekend so it could well mean a trip to Westfields.

Now, can anyone (Steve) tell me why I tend to struggle more at this venue than at Weston? Score is always 10-15% less. 

Are the targets further away, faster or is it the lack of objects in the field of vision which affects judgment of depth? Or....am I just a bit rubbish?!

Big Congrats to Paul Finney (papa) on HG at AGL today. Shooting around with him I could see why how he did it. He shot bloody well! 

Tricky in the wind as expected. Good varied shoot. Cocked up my first stand badly and was chasing a score after that. No great shakes for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Weather is looking promising for this weekend so it could well mean a trip to Westfields.

Now, can anyone (Steve) tell me why I tend to struggle more at this venue than at Weston? Score is always 10-15% less. 

Are the targets further away, faster or is it the lack of objects in the field of vision which affects judgment of depth? Or....am I just a bit rubbish?!
several reasons why Westfield is trickier , firstly the rolling banks can give an optical illusion on distance and line , so stay focused hard on the clay and don't lose focus , 

secondly the kill point can be in several different places here because of the room we have to play with over the tighter windows of Weston wood so pick your ideal pick up point and kill point so to address the second target and believe me they are all set with an optimum point in mind , 

thirdly speed !!! Generally I can throw clays faster at Westfield because of room  so if you think what it needs , give it a bit more , but saying that I have cut the speed element a little for Sundays shoot !!

several reasons why Westfield is trickier , firstly the rolling banks can give an optical illusion on distance and line , so stay focused hard on the clay and don't lose focus , 

secondly the kill point can be in several different places here because of the room we have to play with over the tighter windows of Weston wood so pick your ideal pick up point and kill point so to address the second target and believe me they are all set with an optimum point in mind , 

thirdly speed !!! Generally I can throw clays faster at Westfield because of room  so if you think what it needs , give it a bit more , but saying that I have cut the speed element a little for Sundays shoot !!
Thank you, Steve.

It sounds like I was on the right lines about speed and distance. I just need to work on the 'being a bit rubbish' part  :D

I will take your advice on board and see how I can improve my game there.

Big Congrats to Paul Finney (papa) on HG at AGL today. Shooting around with him I could see why how he did it. He shot bloody well! 

Tricky in the wind as expected. Good varied shoot. Cocked up my first stand badly and was chasing a score after that. No great shakes for me.
it was windy alright , I was pleased the wind pushed the clays into the shot pattern ?. Very pleased with first HG , and a sensible fun shoot considering the conditions . Well done AGL .

With many other brave girls boys men and women and despite a stinking cold I will be off to Westfield in morning, Could,  it appears be seeing quite a few of you all as there's not too much on, I'll be the cheery one under a red cap, possibly cursing but always with a joyful grin.

Despite a severe bout of man-flu I braved the early morning fog and drizzle to meet up with Stew Keen, Martin Tipper and Tony Pewsey at Westfield, the weather soon improved and our merry Gang of Four got neither cold nor wet. At ten I was entry 60, at twelve it had got to 118, bar one minor trap breakdown we didn't have much of a wait anywhere.

Bit hard work for me, again, managed to straight two stands and didn't blank any despite Steve Lovatt putting on what I thought was another tough but fair, (if I can hit them once why can't I hit more of them etc) course.  I was found wanting on a Simo pair of left to rights, too slow, and on rapid pair of a std and midi right to left had me staring at air and on most I need to be more consistent, did see quite a few of you, hello to those I missed.

Adam Cork on 105ex120 leading when I left although quite a few names on the course that could top that

On a whim, I went to Somerley this morning. Just North of the A31, on the Western edge of Ringwood.

I haven't been before, and was glowing with pride when I arrived that I had actually found the place. Good car park, good refreshments, cheerful helpful people, 50 birds for £15, with a separate DTL section. Set in rugged terrain with coniferous trees the site is well laid out with decent paths, the small hills add to the ambience but do not challenge the stamina. The shoot is run by Geoff Wiltshire, a gunsmith operating in Ringwood, and it is popular and well attended.

Eight stands - the first with eight birds, the remainder six apiece - each one presenting sim pairs, with targets covering a range of difficulties that are well chosen, at times deceptive, and nicely thought out. 

Quite a few familiar faces were there, some from Pilford, some from Purbeck, with the normal levels of healthy fluffy rabbits. The shooters ranged from the Krieghoff or Perazzi equipped brigade that were not missing very much to the occasional shooter, everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves.

The site is used by airsoft people, too, which means there are odd artefacts dotted around the venue. A wrecked pickup truck with Arabic writing, a bunker system, and most bizarre the corpse of a downed airman, his parachute snagged in the trees. Grim stuff; one assumes the corpse wasn't a real one...

How did I do? Well enough to go home without tears in my eyes, but I really should focus better!

Great fun. I will most definitely return.

Despite a severe bout of man-flu I braved the early morning fog and drizzle to meet up with Stew Keen, Martin Tipper and Tony Pewsey at Westfield, the weather soon improved and our merry Gang of Four got neither cold nor wet. At ten I was entry 60, at twelve it had got to 118, bar one minor trap breakdown we didn't have much of a wait anywhere.

Bit hard work for me, again, managed to straight two stands and didn't blank any despite Steve Lovatt putting on what I thought was another tough but fair, (if I can hit them once why can't I hit more of them etc) course.  I was found wanting on a Simo pair of left to rights, too slow, and on rapid pair of a std and midi right to left had me staring at air and on most I need to be more consistent, did see quite a few of you, hello to those I missed.

Adam Cork on 105ex120 leading when I left although quite a few names on the course that could top that
I thought this was a good shoot. Certainly not the softer affair with slower targets that Steve was talking about. I think his personal view of Westfield is a bit more comfy and familiar than it is through my eyes. I'm in a bit of a slump lately and really didn't do well today, but I'm not blaming the targets at all. It's just that if you are a bit off, Westfield will point it out to you. I really threw about 10 away that I should not have, finishing on 91/120. 

My only gratifying moment was on the stand with the R-l from behind / high overhead away. (Stand 5 or 6?) I watched about 3 clays total get hit from five shooters in front of me, but managed a straight. Shame I was tatty elsewhere!

I would be surprised if even the superstars break 112. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back