Sporting Shoots 2020

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m not mincing my words I was truly fxxkxd off at AGL.   Few colour clays well I just live with it but FIVE stands where my height was an issue and it just ruined it for me.  The shells for the three stands - you can pay me to shoot the first and the last one.

Longridge saturday for a practice round, a place I've visited may a time for lessons, practice, ESP reg & FITASC and always found it a and decent & sometimes near impossible place for me to shoot well, on tod, still with MK38, took youngest prog to push buttons and, it was for me the most satisfying round Ive shot there, yep a few of the bigger l-r got away, they were though big enough for most, happy bunny, so much so Ive given myself the day off from shooting today as oddly not desperate to right a wrong from my last shoot. For all of you out toady, do enjoy and hope all goes well

Steady 86 at Honesberie this morning, the way their squads worked made it flow very nicely.

Enjoyed the round; good mix of targets, some needed a good gap, no silly colours, and only one no-bird that I remember. 

Westfield today with a lovely squad and my trolley was a treat.  Shot extremely well for me from stands 1 to 7 only losing 5 of the 58:targets and then shot like a tw*t from 8 to 11 and then redeemed myself on 12.  Never touched the 2nd bird on stand 9 and then stand 10 was my worst stand, stand 11 was just me carrying the disappointment of stand 10 with me.  78 to finish.  Two lots of driven but got some and all my teal and my timing on my sim pairs was good.  

Southdown for Fitasc today.  Good tricky layouts but a few colours again and I wasn’t the only one.   Started well but I somehow always start to lose focus after 2 layouts.  We were meant to shoot 2 have a break and shoot the last 2 but we ended up just taking 10 mins or so because we had to wait to shoot layout 2 when a second time round squad jumped in.   Bit annoying really as it took 2 hrs to shoot 50 birds.  Had to move as well to shoot some which I quite like.  Good squad. 

County All Round at Park Farm, 1/4 Sporting so ok for this thread. Was in a squad of chums and a most pleasant afternoon it was too. As for the event well it seems I cant shoot DTL then found that ABT is a bit, no, its very tough, the Skeet I shot, for me well enough and bar one brain fade the Sporting too. Park Farm (Worcs) is a very well run & maintained ground, will try and return soon & probably regular too. 

Bad day at the office at Longridge on Sunday

Changed my gun last weekend and need to get used to the lighter set up with the Parcours, was wafting barrels all over the place then hanging on to stuff too long over and over again. 

Missing stuff I never expected to miss by measuring and stopping the gun put me all over the shop and started doing some very odd things. Even forgot it was my turn on one stand, too busy fiddling with cartridges so didn't see the pair to shoot!

Fairly easy fix, and love the new gun all the same.

Tidy course there as usual, very poor 80, must do better as my old school reports used to say!

Southdown for Fitasc today.  Good tricky layouts but a few colours again and I wasn’t the only one.   Started well but I somehow always start to lose focus after 2 layouts.  We were meant to shoot 2 have a break and shoot the last 2 but we ended up just taking 10 mins or so because we had to wait to shoot layout 2 when a second time round squad jumped in.   Bit annoying really as it took 2 hrs to shoot 50 birds.  Had to move as well to shoot some which I quite like.  Good squad. 
This is usually my problem with Fitasc i just lose focus when there are long gaps.

I love it but most places seem to run it with massive gaps,just can't keep it up for 6 hours!

Barbury today, left the damp 💦& wet 💦SW and It seems I dragged the weather 💦💦with me, was early and watched the rain for an hour and it duly stops just before our squad time 😊 Said squad was usual mid week chums. Thought it was a good reg shoot, plenty for us steerage class blaggers and tested too the stars in attendance too. Yep missed a few more than I’d like but as a born again glass half full type I did feel on some I shot the place better than of late, it’s beat me up a few times this summer and it didn’t feel like that today. 

Think Sam Usher 94 ish was HG when I left

I brushed the cobwebs off the trusty Guerini and ventured out to Barbury as well. It's going to be an impressive shooting facility when the new clubhouse is finished.

It was my first reg there for about 5 years and I thought it was a really good course set by Josh Brown. The level seemed about right and every target was hittable. Nothing silly, although the super close looper almost beat me. TBH I wouldn't have been surprised if it had been won with a 98 or 99 and Jez Towell in our squad (93) thought so too, but in the end it was indeed 94.

Not my best ever day score wise but I enjoyed it and didn't have any really bad stands or embarrass myself and I'll certainly be going back. I can recommend it to anyone who fancies a mid week change of scene.

I ducked out of AGL today as BBC shows 48mph winds. Added to my current form that could lead to a score comparable to my shoe size.

The rare opportunity to shoot at West London in the Premier League final awaits on Saturday in better weather. Happy memories of that going rather well for me last time there in 2018 which I’m sure I won’t repeat by a mile this time. Great venue though. Courses have been a bit up and down over last four years so let’s hope for a good one.

Last edited by a moderator:
I ducked out of AGL today as BBC shows 48mph winds. Added to my current form that could lead to a score comparable to my shoe size.

The rare opportunity to shoot at West London in the Premier League final awaits on Saturday in better weather. Happy memories of that going rather well for me last time there in 2018 which I’m sure I won’t repeat my a mile this time. Great venue though. Courses have been a bit up and down over last four years so let’s hope for a good one.
I had a good day at that shoot as well. Only stand that caused me any bother was the sim pair of teals and I managed 50% even on that. 

Sort of looking forward to tomorrow, I like the ground but am feeling decidedly meh about my shooting at the moment.

The rare opportunity to shoot at West London in the Premier League final awaits on Saturday in better weather. Happy memories of that going rather well for me last time there in 2018 which I’m sure I won’t repeat by a mile this time. Great venue though. Courses have been a bit up and down over last four years so let’s hope for a good one.
It was rubbish Will; poorly thought out with 2 stands with clays in the sun, plus several underpowered birds that were wind-affected.

You can tell that they don't run many competitions there, I felt a bit robbed of £45, and it's another one where it's nice to shoot but the targets are never good enough.

Gunsite today for the very very well attended Pete Dennett memorial shoot, bit (sometimes a lot) blowy and bright & sunny clear blue skies, was going to be so all day so same for all of us. Different squad of chums than Barbury, I do consider myself rather lucky to have quite a few that will gladly shoot with me and yes they are all friendly fellows. After the welcome meeting with Fred on st1 we had a very pleasant shoot, yes the wind & sun played its part and once or twice felt chilly, it is though end of September and Id rather a day like today than the wet stuff. As for I, shot a few stands very well, some well, some not so and a couple where wheels fell off, did fell I should have done better on some, but and it a big overall one did rather better than of late, as I keep getting reminded its not about scores, today I finished on my adj average which given the conditions & course Id have gladly taken before Id started, even more so looking at scores in when Id finished as many where finding it a handful.

John Smith 95 was HG when I left, 5 clear at the time

It was rubbish Will; poorly thought out with 2 stands with clays in the sun, plus several underpowered birds that were wind-affected.

You can tell that they don't run many competitions there, I felt a bit robbed of £45, and it's another one where it's nice to shoot but the targets are never good enough.
I thought the ground looked fantastic and it’s just brilliant to shoot competition there as it’s rare. But they just need to have got somebody like Steve Lovatt in to check the course over. Stand 4 ruined the day for me. The winner of the shoot will be somebody who shot this afternoon when it was cloudy. When I shot at 11.15 the sun was a huge problem on this simultaneous stand with two hard targets. They just didn’t need to be up in the sun or indeed simultaneous actually. I got cross immediately and didn’t even get second shot off on last pair as my eyes were green. 1/8 for me there. Stupidly I could have done 3 or 4 if I had just concentrated on the right hand target. 

I thought the rest of the course was Ok actually, with some interesting stands. The wind was always going to play a part. I was surprised to see how low the scores were generally and I was in 6th on 84 when I left at 2.45. When I think how I threw away two easy ones on the last stand and how I should have stayed calm on stand 4, I almost gave a good performance. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Just home from West London.  I do like going there, it's a lovely ground, but have to agree that some of the target setting was pretty poor.  I was out in a squad just after 10am and stands 2,3 and 4 were all massively affected by the sun.  I feel for anyone that shot it earlier as Stand 3 in particular would have been blinding.

I too suffered on Stand 4.  Blanked it.  Couldn't find the right to left bird, think maybe I overled it from the start and just got worse. Shot the rest fairly steadily for me, but had a couple of annoying lapses with random pairs away.  Finished on 71.

I thought the ground looked fantastic and it’s just brilliant to shoot competition there as it’s rare. But they just need to have got somebody like Steve Lovatt in to check the course over. Stand 4 ruined the day for me. The winner of the shoot will be somebody who shot this afternoon when it was cloudy. When I shot at 11.15 the sun was a huge problem on this simultaneous stand with two hard targets. They just didn’t need to be up in the sun or indeed simultaneous actually. I got cross immediately and didn’t even get second shot off on last pair as my eyes were green. 1/8 for me there. Stupidly I could have done 3 or 4 if I had just concentrated on the right hand target. 

I thought the rest of the course was Ok actually, with some interesting stands. The wind was always going to play a part. I was surprised to see how low the scores were generally and I was in 6th on 84 when I left at 2.45. When I think how I threw away two easy ones on the last stand and how I should have stayed calm on stand 4, I almost gave a good performance. 
West London, sun affected at the beginning, blanked stand 3, felt sorry for the ref on there.  Nothing under power, wind affected for quite a few, I think that was the best part watching the huge difference in some of the targets we were shooting, kept us laughing.  stand 4 was the best stand had you been able to see them at the time we’d shot.   Average targets I though overall, nothing special.  Pool shoot was better should have shot that 4 times and saved myself £5.   You know that feeling you get Will when you do practise rather than competition?  I felt like that after about 8:stands and could no longer be arsed.  Which stands did you find interesting.  That’s a serious question.  Shame as it is a lovely ground and I go because it’s 5 minutes down the road.   Any further I wouldn’t bother.  

West London, sun affected at the beginning, blanked stand 3, felt sorry for the ref on there.  Nothing under power, wind affected for quite a few, I think that was the best part watching the huge difference in some of the targets we were shooting, kept us laughing.  stand 4 was the best stand had you been able to see them at the time we’d shot.   Average targets I though overall, nothing special.  Pool shoot was better should have shot that 4 times and saved myself £5.   You know that feeling you get Will when you do practise rather than competition?  I felt like that after about 8:stands and could no longer be arsed.  Which stands did you find interesting.  That’s a serious question.  Shame as it is a lovely ground and I go because it’s 5 minutes down the road.   Any further I wouldn’t bother.  
I think the interest often came from being at a “new” ground mainly. The twin teals were fun. I like some of the distant loopers over trees. Got deceived by the rabbit that needed no lead despite being brisk and 25 yards out. They could have a great shoot there with more experience of competition.

I think the interest often came from being at a “new” ground mainly. The twin teals were fun. I like some of the distant loopers over trees. Got deceived by the rabbit that needed no lead despite being brisk and 25 yards out. They could have a great shoot there with more experience of competition.
I agree they could but they really need to find someone who can set a course.  It feels like they don’t really care.  Perhaps if it was a regular feature they might.  One of the rabbit stands, you could see the pile at the end of the straight line that hadn’t been hit but our squad and no doubt others seem to go half way then off down the bank.  The twin teals were one of my better stands but again watching our squad shoot, the black one was all over the place.  

Just home from West London.  I do like going there, it's a lovely ground, but have to agree that some of the target setting was pretty poor.  I was out in a squad just after 10am and stands 2,3 and 4 were all massively affected by the sun.  I feel for anyone that shot it earlier as Stand 3 in particular would have been blinding.

I too suffered on Stand 4.  Blanked it.  Couldn't find the right to left bird, think maybe I overled it from the start and just got worse. Shot the rest fairly steadily for me, but had a couple of annoying lapses with random pairs away.  Finished on 71.
Well done Jenny, 5th in ladies and you beat some good ladies and was very close to 3rd and 4th 👏👏👏

Latest posts

Back