Sporting Clays Choke Selection

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use from cylinder through to 3/8 changing on every stand if needed.and also use 9s 8s 7.5s and 6.5s.
Gordon Bennet, I find it hard to walk down the street and chew gum at the same time !

Making decisions about all those chokes and shot sizes would make my head hurt.

Use an auto,only one choke to worry about.

Find out what size choke and shot size works best for you and leave the rest at home.

I note that many shooters put the NATO standard 1/4 & 1/2 in but never change barrels.

Vic.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had 1/2 & 1/2 in since I got the gun and shoot 7.5s at everything.

I've got enough to think about without changing chokes & shells.

I change my choke if it makes me think I am more likely to hit the target. Consequently, If I think I'm more likely to hit the target, then I'm more likely to hit the target. It's just something that I find helps my shooting. I'm usually happy with 1/4, 1/2 and select the barrel as necessary. Messed up when I bought my Kemen as I failed to notice it had no barrel selector - it was originally a trap gun that someone had converted to multi choke.
I'll put in an open choke on a close target - I've watched too many great shots miss close targets with their fixed chokes- and I'll change to 3/4 if it's long range. The downside of this is it will mess with my head if I haven't changed my choke I miss the first target with it and then I just don't think I will break the rest.
I changed my brand of cartridge recently and shot very well with them through my Kemen. But I took out my Perazzi the other day and found the quarter choke was just chipping things and I missed a few that surprised me. I tightened up my chokes to 1/2, 3/4 and my breaks were better. I guess you have to find the right cartridge for your gun.
I think what I should do is put in 1/2, 1/2 and have a few different shot sizes. 9's for close stuff and 6.5 for edge on and scary teal (actually all teal scare me)

I once failed to screw my choke in properly, blew it out the end of my barrel and buggered my barrels into the bargain. There's a lesson in there somewhere

Found this on the briley site for there chokes, I think when you look at it 1/2 choke appears the most.

post-1133-0-85275600-1395700342.gif

Attachments

• sportingclays.gif
    sportingclays.gif
    135.5 KB · Views: 0
I change my choke if it makes me think I am more likely to hit the target. Consequently, If I think I'm more likely to hit the target, then I'm more likely to hit the target. It's just something that I find helps my shooting. I'm usually happy with 1/4, 1/2 and select the barrel as necessary. Messed up when I bought my Kemen as I failed to notice it had no barrel selector - it was originally a trap gun that someone had converted to multi choke. I'll put in an open choke on a close target - I've watched too many great shots miss close targets with their fixed chokes- and I'll change to 3/4 if it's long range. The downside of this is it will mess with my head if I haven't changed my choke I miss the first target with it and then I just don't think I will break the rest. I changed my brand of cartridge recently and shot very well with them through my Kemen. But I took out my Perazzi the other day and found the quarter choke was just chipping things and I missed a few that surprised me. I tightened up my chokes to 1/2, 3/4 and my breaks were better. I guess you have to find the right cartridge for your gun. I think what I should do is put in 1/2, 1/2 and have a few different shot sizes. 9's for close stuff and 6.5 for edge on and scary teal (actually all teal scare me) I once faile to screw my choke in properly, blew it out the end of my barrel and buggered my barrels into the bargain.There's a lesson in there somewhere
someone multi choked a kemen trap gun ?

that is sacrilege

I have 1 gun with fixed chokes And shot it once on a 70 bird event. That is all the complication my tiny brain can cope with at present.

Next outing will be Sunday when I will practice some of the above wisdom. I can only hope that I get good enough to notice the difference an alternative choke might make. .

One thing I would like in an ideal world (and I know this seems to contradict my earlier post) would be a switch I could push, (as per a barrel selector) that would alter choke. Probably I would only use it to go Cylinder on very close stuff, but I think I could happily use that rather than sod about with choke case, key, grubby fingers and the associated kerfuffle to shake my mind around. Almost impossible to engineer. Or is it..

Might be easier to switch pockets and load a different shell, than switch choke.. right? 

One thing I would like in an ideal world (and I know this seems to contradict my earlier post) would be a switch I could push, (as per a barrel selector) that would alter choke. Probably I would only use it to go Cylinder on very close stuff, but I think I could happily use that rather than sod about with choke case, key, grubby fingers and the associated kerfuffle to shake my mind around. Almost impossible to engineer. Or is it..
I was thinking about that last night.
Imagine a tightening system adjustable for each shot.............

I can sort of envisage a twist grip at barrel end that caused a spiral type barrel liner to tighten up. You know how if you roll up a sheet of paper into a tube shape and pull one corner, the tube contracts.. Just dreaming..

Last edited by a moderator:
I know jack about sporting but I cant see what you would have a problem hitting with a barrel selector, fixed choke 3/8 & 3/4 and one pocket of 8s and a pocket of 7s .....???

I could of course be talking total cack.

Back