Sporting Clays Choke Selection

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know jack about sporting but I cant see what you would have a problem hitting with a barrel selector, fixed choke 3/8 & 3/4 and one pocket of 8s and a pocket of 7s .....???

I could of course be talking total cack.
Where is the cylinder choke in that combo then? :) it's all about occasional and unexpected need.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well as I say I dont know jack so maybe my choke choice is wrong but the general idea must be do able because surely that is what was done before the new fangled multi choke thingies came out. Maybe there should be a old style sporting comp were you have to use fixed a kind of purists shooting bit like the hunter air rifle discipline as opposed to field target the one were you cant range find or adjust your scope ?

I can sort of envisage a twist grip at barrel end that caused a spiral type barrel liner to tighten up. You know how if you roll up a sheet of paper into a tube shape and pull one corner, the tube contracts.. Just dreaming..
Been done I'm afraid Will.

Video shows a modern version 

But I'm sure either Remington or Winchester had this type of system on their early pumps and autos (Shooting Guru would know about these but just before my time!)  :biggrin:

Would look great, a couple of these on your P gun??  :sarcastic:

Its a twisty thing that operates some twisty bits thus ensuring the chokey bit is altered....obviously.

Your welcome, anything else I can put your mind at rest about in an equally enlightening fashion, poi - poa for instance :)

Excellent! Wish it showed how it works.
It's kind of like one of those reamers that you would use on a lathe where there are three legs which get squeezed together when a collar is screwed forwards. I thought Ips was some kind of Engineer but his technical explanation is something even I can understand!!  :sarcastic:

Despite what they said in the video, they don't like solid slugs much, or not the Brenneke type, as they tend to unscrew it from the barrel. I saw one go deep into a sea wall once after about 12 shots rapid fire. Made a sizable hole though!!  :biggrin:

The first gun I ever had was a Savage pump action with a poly-choke it was the biggest load of sh*te money could buy! :fie:   you could screw up the poly choke however you wanted and the pattern really never changed :fie:   everyone is allowed one mistake. :crazy:

The first gun I ever had was a Savage pump action with a poly-choke it was the biggest load of sh*te money could buy! :fie:   you could screw up the poly choke however you wanted and the pattern really never changed :fie:   everyone is allowed one mistake. :crazy:
I get the impression you didnt like it much.

Been done I'm afraid Will.

Video shows a modern version
">
But I'm sure either Remington or Winchester had this type of system on their early pumps and autos (Shooting Guru would know about these but just before my time!) :biggrin:

Would look great, a couple of these on your P gun?? :sarcastic:

depends on targets thrown  , cartridge quality  ,  and the pilot on controls ,   I am below average  skill wise  but still really enjoy shooting esp  , my local is testing though . :pilot:

If we ping the clay with a barrel mounted microwave doppler radar we could range the clay and feed the signal to a servo to adjust the poly choke to deliver the optimum choke setting for a given target!

:)

Back