Safety

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Salopian

BEWARE

I have just heard about a chap who's Perazzi would not open after firing the first cartridge , but not firing the second.

Siezed solid unable to open.

So he put his gun into the car and borrowed another.

Talking to other competitors he heard it has happened before to them " bit broken off inside jammed the mechanism."

After the competition , returns to car , removes gun from slip , removes Stock , removes trigger assembly with a little difficulty , gun goes off,  blows hole in car rear door, second cartridge now fired , gun is now safe .

Off to gunsmith and bodyshop tomorrow. 

How many times do you have to tell them.

Don't close the gun without the toplever locked over.

Snaps the toplever spindle.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe."

Frank Zappa

I think that is a bit severe really, I believe they were brainwashed into buying a Perazzi !   Perhaps a spell in rehab rather than criticism.   :rolleyes:

BEWARE

I have just heard about a chap who's Perazzi would not open after firing the first cartridge , but not firing the second.

Siezed solid unable to open.

So he put his gun into the car and borrowed another.

Talking to other competitors he heard it has happened before to them " bit broken off inside jammed the mechanism."

After the competition , returns to car , removes gun from slip , removes Stock , removes trigger assembly with a little difficulty , gun goes off,  blows hole in car rear door, second cartridge now fired , gun is now safe .

Off to gunsmith, Dry cleaners and bodyshop tomorrow. 
Corrected that for you Peter.  :wink:

Finners, thanks for that.

I posted to alert people to carrying out the correct conduct in ANY situation with a loaded gun.

Sadly we have many 'experts' who make mistakes.

Never leave a gun loaded in any circumstances , in this instance the owner had no idea of the workings of a gun.

If any of you find yourselves with a gun that cannot be opened or unloaded .PLEASE fire off all cartridges that are in the gun .

If this cannot be done as in the above situation have the gun pointed downrange or safely until someone can disarm it.

In order to make this thread more helpful to those who are not "experts" could the experts share some suggestions as to what the Perazzi owner should have done when his gun encountered this failure to "...disarm" the gun safely?

not being there no one can be certain but what would you have done (the gun not opening and not firing) to render it safe

In order to make this thread more helpful to those who are not "experts" could the experts share some suggestions as to what the Perazzi owner should have done when his gun encountered this failure to "...disarm" the gun safely?

not being there no one can be certain but what would you have done (the gun not opening and not firing) to render it safe
Good question and it depends where you are of course and whether critically, there is a gunsmith or at least a half decent gun guy on site. I've seen this happen with OU as well as semi automatics and always insisted the gun be taken to a safe distance away and the gunsmith called to attend rather than risk taking the live gun inside. 

If this happens with a newish shooter it is imperative that an experienced person stay with them and the gun treated with the utmost care, do not attempt to open or fix the thing unless you are extremely competent and know what you're doing.

Whoever placed a live gun in his car and resumed shooting is a pillock of the highest order, to then manage to blow a hole in the roof whilst attempting a repair is just breathtakingly moronic, the ground should let him know, possibly by some sort of time ban. 

At Owls Lodge on Saturday some poor chap spent ages sat in the rain after a trap breakdown only to get in the stand, shoot 1st pair and then his K gun would not open. Guess it didnt like the rain. The ref helped him and after a struggle they opened it. He shot next pair and same thing. This time would not open. He then left with his mrs in tow with the fun pointing upwards. He bent down to pick his bag up and got told off by his mrs to keep his barrels upwards. His reply was "both cartridges are fired". You know that and us who saw it know that but no one else does.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is of constant amazement to me what shooters seem to do subconsciously!

On Saturday saw one close his gun pointed in my general direction and then swing it through an arc horizontally which covered pretty much the whole shoot.

I hollered at him as he was doing this but he ignored me and when is shooting partner pointed out someone was trying to catch his attention he was heard to say he didn't want to know...i am pretty sure he could here me.

I then approached him as he was putting the gun in the slip and explained what he had done...he said "Sorry" and nothing else looking away.

Apparently he left just after that though i didn't see him go and he has been shooting there for years.

My sensitivity to this kind of thing has been heightened since having a teenage girl at a charity shoot close a loaded gun pointed at us at a charity shoot i didn't realise until after as i was not watching her beforehand though my mate that did was just a we bit upset!

I see something at pretty much every shoot. On sunday was walking down from car to book in at Horne and some chap was dry mounting a mates gun in the car park but at least barrels were up in the air at about 45 degrees. But as I walked past he lowered it then swung it right at me. I glared and muttered woah and he looked at me like I was insane.

Then you get the ones who take their guns out of the slip closed and try to keep barrels pointing at the floor only to get distracted and start bringing them up to a horizontal level before breaking the gun. Why not just break / close gun as you take it out / return it to your slip? So simple.

Not convinced that everybody with a shotgun has  had gun safety drilled into them so it becomes second nature.  When me and my good lady started shooting our coach would not let us start until we had gone through safety procedures and what do do in an event described in this post.  

All routine stuff now.  

Damo

Whoever placed a live gun in his car and resumed shooting is a pillock of the highest order, to then manage to blow a hole in the roof whilst attempting a repair is just breathtakingly moronic, the ground should let him know, possibly by some sort of time ban. 
In all seriousness having a near miss like this teaches you a lesson better than any instruction.

In his case.      Next time buy a car with a sunroof.

I shot rifles regularly with the Sea Cadets when I was a lad and we were taught safety to the point where it was second nature.  I also shot rifles at a range when I lived in the US back in the late 80's, where firearm 'safety' came pretty low on the list of priorities.  Many of the guys I knew back then kept both rifles and hand guns in particular loaded in the house and this was viewed as no big deal. 

After a gap in shooting of some 25+ years, I decided to try clay shooting.  I took the first couple of modules of the CPSA course so that I was confident in my own ability to be safe.  I was still given a couple of pointers by other guys in my first couple of visits to an ESP ground, but took no offence and accepted the advice in the constructive manner that it was intended.       

It amazes me that most clubs don’t insist on some form or safety when you first join / shoot there. Maybe that is why the more upmarket grounds like Bisley SG, Royal Berks, West London, Churchills etc insist on caddied rounds. The only place I know that did a safety check was AC Sporting Targets in Northolt which was funnily enough the cheapest place to shoot. They took you out for a round with an instructor watching your gun handling and I saw them pull up quite a few people in my time there including one of my own group who used to insist on tilting his gun down to eject his cartridges straight into the bin.

There seems to be the view amongst grounds and shooters themselves that nothing has happened so far so things must be ok. Experienced shots are often the worst offenders and the ones that take most offense to being called out. I am surprised  there aren’t more incidents but suspect that it is more down to luck than good practice.

We seem to have digressed somewhat as I am still waiting to know what the recommended practice is for this situation with a Perazzi or any other gun if you can’t get it open? If you are at a ground with a gunsmith you could ask for help but what if you are at some registered shoot at a small club that barely has a clubhouse let alone onsite gunsmith? You could ring a local shop for advice but who is open on a Sunday afternoon

It amazes me that most clubs don’t insist on some form or safety when you first join / shoot there. Maybe that is why the more upmarket grounds like Bisley SG, Royal Berks, West London, Churchills etc insist on caddied rounds. The only place I know that did a safety check was AC Sporting Targets in Northolt which was funnily enough the cheapest place to shoot. They took you out for a round with an instructor watching your gun handling and I saw them pull up quite a few people in my time there including one of my own group who used to insist on tilting his gun down to eject his cartridges straight into the bin.

There seems to be the view amongst grounds and shooters themselves that nothing has happened so far so things must be ok. Experienced shots are often the worst offenders and the ones that take most offense to being called out. I am surprised  there aren’t more incidents but suspect that it is more down to luck than good practice.

We seem to have digressed somewhat as I am still waiting to know what the recommended practice is for this situation with a Perazzi or any other gun if you can’t get it open? If you are at a ground with a gunsmith you could ask for help but what if you are at some registered shoot at a small club that barely has a clubhouse let alone onsite gunsmith? You could ring a local shop for advice but who is open on a Sunday afternoon
I am of the same opinion - you can never be too safety conscious and people do sometimes forget the most basic of safety rules.  With regard to the answer your looking for - I would only hope that somehow between the shooters on any ground you would be able to find a competent person - there are quite a few out there around and about the grounds 

I would think the best thing to do would be to discharge both barrels on the range and then slip it and take it to your gunsmith as its going to need his attention anyway.

Latest posts

Back