Rail Travel with shotgun

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would never carry my gun anywhere in anything other than the break down case supplied by the manufacturer or similar of higher spec... it is the safest way for the gun to travel... and the least conspicuous if you cover the case.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bag turned up today. I never really checked the dims and so when it arrived I was fairly disappointed in how small it was. So whilst the gun section is great and well padded it isn't actually that secure due to it only being zips and it would be a struggle if the top section was filled. The top section hardly seems big enough for a weekend away. My hope was an all in one kit bag much like a cricket bag. Somewhere I could have Wellies, coat, extra clothes, etc. However, there really isn't that much room. Coat, Wellies, socks and cap would probably fill it. So I'll need a second bag anyway. My hope of travelling with one bag with everything in is not to be. So now what do I do. Breakdown case and large suitcase or razorback and large suitcase giving over the razorback to potentially grubby shoot clothing? If it wasn't Caithness I was going to I'd have driven! 12 hour drive up and 12 hour drive back. I'm now speaking with my host to try and organise a lend. 

Bag turned up today. I never really checked the dims and so when it arrived I was fairly disappointed in how small it was. So whilst the gun section is great and well padded it isn't actually that secure due to it only being zips and it would be a struggle if the top section was filled. The top section hardly seems big enough for a weekend away. My hope was an all in one kit bag much like a cricket bag. Somewhere I could have Wellies, coat, extra clothes, etc. However, there really isn't that much room. Coat, Wellies, socks and cap would probably fill it. So I'll need a second bag anyway. My hope of travelling with one bag with everything in is not to be. So now what do I do. Breakdown case and large suitcase or razorback and large suitcase giving over the razorback to potentially grubby shoot clothing? If it wasn't Caithness I was going to I'd have driven! 12 hour drive up and 12 hour drive back. I'm now speaking with my host to try and organise a lend. 
That's a real pity. It looked great in the Ad! Maybe there's a gap in the market for a larger all in one if you can't find one?

A note of warning. You can't put your bag with shotgun into storage at the train station. They don't have lockers anymore. Hind sight is a wonderful thing but if you wish to travel through London and do some shopping/eating whilst you wait for the train then best thing is backpack that the hardcase fits into. Something like this:

http://www.uttings.co.uk/p116530-beretta-692-backpack-for-takedown-hard-case-light-and-dark-grey-ber-bsh2-3081-921/#.V_eDDI-cGUk

People won't look twice at it. The absolute best idea though is not to take your gun through London. Nightmare!

Still I am here safe and sound and looking forward to a good day shooting tomorrow. Glorious weather up here so fingers crossed it holds.

Best idea is to use the breakdown carry case supplies by the manufacturer... but cover it with Fender and Gibson stickers... people then think you are carrying a guitar :)  

Latest posts

Back