Rail Travel with shotgun

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am not aware of any restrictions as long as it is secured in a travel case out of sight of the public gaze.

One of our shoot went from Sussex to Exeter to collect his new shotgun by train without issue. If I took my 725 in the case it came in nobody would know what it is. 

Might be worth wrapping the hard case in brown paper and telling people its a scalextric set as a gift or something.

There are very few x-ray machines on stations and I've yet to hear of anyone asking to see the contents of a box but a case with 'Browning','Perazzi' or 'Beretta' plastered across it might be recognised by some member of the public with a snotty attitude. 

Yeah I was think of just putting it in a case and hoping for the best. However, being the responsible gun owner I am I took the advice of Bebo and spoke to the Operating company. I just need to book my ticket and get a letter of authority from them. Gun doesn't need to be in a locked case as long as I am in a cabin on my own. Ammunition must be in a locked case separate to the firearm. No extra charge either.

If you put the case in one of those big bags they use for carrying cricket bats no-one would be the wiser, but well done for checking it out and doing it properly.

Yeah I was think of just putting it in a case and hoping for the best. However, being the responsible gun owner I am I took the advice of Bebo and spoke to the Operating company. I just need to book my ticket and get a letter of authority from them. Gun doesn't need to be in a locked case as long as I am in a cabin on my own. Ammunition must be in a locked case separate to the firearm. No extra charge either.
Given the state of the trains how do they think you'll get a cabin on your own!

Might be worth keeping the fore end separately wrapped up away from the gun in another bag so even if the worst happens and the gun gets taken it can't be instantly used. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I either fly using BA out of Heathrow at £300+ hotel or I get the sleeper up at £380 (first class) without the need for a hotel. Less time out of the office and more time with the supplier. Everyone is a winner. Conveniently I have worked the programme around a day partridge shooting.

Whilst I think the guardian one looks nice, it doesn't look very secure. I'd go break down case I think.

Save for top end English guns you will find that most  hard cases are actually made for the gun maker by Negrini - they also sell very anonymous looking soft over cases that I find work well to protect the actual hard case and they also disguise it 

the uninitiated would in all likelihood think it was some form of sporting equipment or a cased musical instrument 

they are very efficient and ship direct from the US to the UK

Ordered the Razorback, should be with me tomorrow morning. I shall try to take pictures and do a review.
Good choice, I've bought a couple of guardian bits for a cheap rough gun and I'm not that impressed, the hard automobile case I bought ( for my game gun) isn't too bad but the slip and cartridge bags are disappointing (useful for lending to people though)

My dad has Napier razorback stuff and it seems well made if a little heavy, he has had a problem with the zips but Napier sent him a lifetime supply of replacements

not that impressed

Latest posts

Back