Please sign this petition - Sgt Danny Nightingale

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This mandatory 5 year jail sentence for firearms offence is cobblers and has not been implemented wholesale. I for one am aware of a case where a loaded pistol was found in a guys toolbox in a van when stopped by police after the pistol ban and after this legislation was passed. His gun collection was confiscated and destroyed and he paid a heavy fine but no jail. As a member of the club of which he is no longer welcome as a member we all wanted him jailed so why not???? He was not only guilty and caught with his pants down but carrying a loaded pistol in a tool box in a public place and he gets off!! Unbelieveable.

There are plenty of stories of forces guys getting shafted after giving service for low pay etc so I'm for the guy until someone comes up with something a lot better than this - its a technicality more than outweighed by apparent exemplary service.

I'm signing.

This mandatory 5 year jail sentence for firearms offence is cobblers and has not been implemented wholesale. I for one am aware of a case where a loaded pistol was found in a guys toolbox in a van when stopped by police after the pistol ban and after this legislation was passed. His gun collection was confiscated and destroyed and he paid a heavy fine but no jail. As a member of the club of which he is no longer welcome as a member we all wanted him jailed so why not???? He was not only guilty and caught with his pants down but carrying a loaded pistol in a tool box in a public place and he gets off!! Unbelieveable.

There are plenty of stories of forces guys getting shafted after giving service for low pay etc so I'm for the guy until someone comes up with something a lot better than this - its a technicality more than outweighed by apparent exemplary service.

I'm signing.
Well let's just that the civvie police who initially arrested him found he had no case to answer and didn't charge him, as there was no 'criminal intent' - hence them punting it over to the RMP.

Err.....sorry guys........loads of evidence that the 5 years is rigorously applied... (to get less is definitely not the norm).......my computer is full of the cases defended and prosecuted......even though sometimes it seems very unfair (re the Granny in the clink in Scotland).....and some of our own recent cases. (all of whom I have to say are serving the 5 years).

Any war mementos found in the loft that Granddad squirrelled away will get you in massive 5 year trouble if you take it into a police station. The drill is leave it where it is and phone for the police to come and retrieve it. The forces know the drill with war mementos in current day...and that is if you are in UK you cannot have them.

Simples.

I do feel very sorry for this hero.

First of all I have the utmost respect for those who serve both in our forces and services and have no doubt that Sgt Nightingale is an exceptional human being let alone soldier…he, along with his fellow service men and women do a crappy job on our behalf in crappy conditions for not a lot of money…he suffered and made a miraculous recovery from a life changing injury..but what exactly has that got to do with the offence in question?? Good people do silly things, stupid things, bad things, make errors of judgement. They still have to answer for it if their actions come to light.

This has been another case of trial by media, heavy on emotion and light on fact.

Do I think that's wrong - not sure…possibly… We are yet to learn of his sentence. The Judge has only stated that he wouldn't pass an immediate jail term. Unlawful Wounding carries a maximum sentence of 5 years, as opposed to a minimum sentence of 5 years.

What annoys me more, is the picture that the epitomy of fair and balanced reporting (or Daily Mail as it is sometimes referred to!!!) has chosen to use. Having opted for a 'stock' picture to illustrate the story, with a bit more effort, I think that they could have found a far more threatening shotgun to help whip up a frenzy. Maybe something with an underslung grenade launcher and fixed bayonet!? :)

Do I think that's wrong - not sure…possibly… We are yet to learn of his sentence. The Judge has only stated that he wouldn't pass an immediate jail term. Unlawful Wounding carries a maximum sentence of 5 years, as opposed to a minimum sentence of 5 years.
Whether maximum or minimum of five years for either offence - he aint gonna face either, so not sure what your point is there?

What annoys me more, is the picture that the epitomy of fair and balanced reporting (or Daily Mail as it is sometimes referred to!!!) has chosen to use. Having opted for a 'stock' picture to illustrate the story, with a bit more effort, I think that they could have found a far more threatening shotgun to help whip up a frenzy. Maybe something with an underslung grenade launcher and fixed bayonet!? :)
:D

Agree on the stock (no pun intended) picture of the pump-action shotgun used (utterly lazy 'journalism' from The Mail, but no shock there) - it not being the offending "faulty weapon" used in the offence. However I suspect even The Mail would not try and inveigle an under-slung M.203 into proceedings just to guild an already woeful lilly.

The bottom line here is that common sense had no bearing in the Sgt. Nightingale's sentencing. Ask yourself, who was made safer by the sentence? No one. Post-coma, the man couldn't even remember he had the sidearm locked away (not that it was him who'd placed it there in the first place), as corroborated by two expert witnesses in memory loss (something the JA elected to ignore when it was clear mitigating circumstance); added to which, the police said there was no case to answer; and that there was clearly no nefarious intent on his part.

So, in terms of locking Sgt. Nightingale away for 18 months, cui bono? Him? His family? The British public? The British civil justice system - or the courts martial? Who and what out of that list benefits by Nightingale's incarceration?

Common sense prevailed - thankfully - now to appeal the conviction

Jailed SAS soldier Danny Nightingale freed on appeal
Nightingale's 18-month sentence for illegal possession of firearm and ammunition is suspended on appeal

LINK

Back