Plastic Wad fouling .

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But is this not typical of people with more money than sense? :D

Obviously Ed is an exception as he has never had any sense :D

On a serious note , and especially useful tip for those who care for their guns.

It may be noted that the UK has what is considered to be a damp climate / damp atmosphere.

Any fouling on metal parts , traps airbound moisture .

Plastic wad fouling thus traps moisture in your barrels , so be careful with the care of your expensive toys .

I spoke to my gunmaker yesterday and he said it is noticable how much fouling is becoming more troublesome to clean away .

" Sometimes taking days or a week to soak away, using aggresive penetrants."
That just doesn't make sense though, why should it ? We are using guns today that are either literally what we were shooting 20+ years ago or identical in a mechanical sense. We have had overbored, enlarged chambers and back bored (whatever that means) for decades, same with cartridges which are all but identical, I would happily shoot the Winchester, Victory, Express and Kent Champions of the 90's today. 

Also although your point regarding trapped moisture is valid it doesn't seem to cause issues as long as the barrels are chromed, personally never found any fouling of any kind a particular concern, my gun is routinely put away without the barrels being cleaned in any way whatsoever so the insides look a tiny bit dirty, once cleaned they look better but not new. Even dirty burning shells donny worry me. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I use Fiocchi fibre, bit of leading in the bores but no more residue than plastic, saves you having to buy 2 lots of cartridges, and inviomentally friendly (apart from the lead shot!) But some cartridges I've used have been terrible for residue, others not.

Hamster,

Not wishing to start a plague , obviously many many never clean their guns , some do, some don't.

But I am just pointing out that products do change and I will not mention the brands , but some plastics have changed and are leaving a residue.

Totally different issue is , a customer came last week with a Silver Pigeon which had been stored for two years in his cabinet in the loft , took it out to shoot last week and it is very rusty . You would have thought a loft with insulation would have been warm and dry? 

Hamster,

Not wishing to start a plague , obviously many many never clean their guns , some do, some don't.

But I am just pointing out that products do change and I will not mention the brands , but some plastics have changed and are leaving a residue.

Totally different issue is , a customer came last week with a Silver Pigeon which had been stored for two years in his cabinet in the loft , took it out to shoot last week and it is very rusty . You would have thought a loft with insulation would have been warm and dry? 
I think the problem with the loft storage is one of little air movement and damp air. What can happen is that the stored gun gets, in relative terms, very cold because the loft is unheated... then the weather suddenly changes and we get moist warmer air entering the loft space which can then condense on the cold metal of the gun. I have a gun stored upstairs, not in a loft but the area is unheated. The air movement in the area is good and even though in the winter it gets cold I have no problem with my gun which is stored in the original case and is well oiled... it is a silver Pig too ! I have a Perazzi and a Browning XTR stored in the same way under my sofa in the living room again the air movement is good and the gun is in it hard case. I do find the subject of stored guns a worry though because there is always a chance of the dreaded rust appearing... I think the secret to avoid it is to store the gun well oiled in the original hard plastic carrying case supplied I do not have a gun box all my guns are kept this way and so far so good.

I think you'll find he had to win a ton of stuff on the way to earning it free.  :D
That`s for sure! I have immense respect for our top shooters, I'm sure Ed can take a bit or fluffy rabbits! 

I do not bother to clean a gun very often, unless it gets wet, let it dry naturally and re-oil. 

Pete,

I was getting a lot of plastic fouling down my barrels not just the cones, it was inch long streaks but this was nearly two years ago and was with Fiocchi Top 1`s in my B525. It was like the wad was melting as it went along the barrel.

Moved to Gamebore Evos and not had this issue, I also now use a chamber brush the full length of the barrels, I clean out the dirt with GT85 spray and finish with Legia and am happy but I do spend 25ish mins cleaning after every use even if its two cartridges shot from a walk round the pen at the pheasant shoot !

ATB

Matt

last year I bought an al 391 semi. never had so much fouling in the cones but partly due I think to there being only 1 barrel so all shots go through the one barrel.

tried everything then found eds red on the net so knocked some up and it was probably the best solvent cleaner I have had . I use a bronze bush with very fine wire wool wrapped around it ,eds red and a strokes with wire wool and its spot on,just about he only way I can get it clean, use eley carts but don't see much difference in any carts except Winchester which seem a lot dirtier and a lot smokier

dan 

Perhaps this is where the 'Magic Bore Cleaner' would come into it's own according to the write up in June's 'Clay Shooting' mag. I am going to try one when I get the chance because I hate gun cleaning so don't bother very often.

Phil

Perhaps this is where the 'Magic Bore Cleaner' would come into it's own according to the write up in June's 'Clay Shooting' mag. I am going to try one when I get the chance because I hate gun cleaning so don't bother very often.

Phil
Is that something you use to clean Paul Daniels?

I've not noticed fouling in the forcing cone in any gun I have or have had.  Forcing cones always "look" rough but if they really were as rough as they look they would likely foul something fierce.  Screw-in chokes are another matter and the fouling there seems as much (maybe more) carbon as plastic.....but that is only to be expected.

I'm not a store the gun in a case kinda person.  Mine all go in the silicone socks clean and assembled and into the safe.  But that is just me maybe.  You might recall tho that the classic pix of the classic Limey manor gun rooms all have the guns in racks, not in cases.

just a thot

Latest posts

Back