Pilla shooting glasses

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pilla are way over priced,but having said that they offer a massive range and given that we all see things differently , if they have the right lense for for you and other makes dont then the price is right.Whatever make you get make sure you try them on the range with clays flying if posible first.Ive wasted money in the past on multi lense glasses that were rubish and the second hand original pilla set i have came with lenses ill never use,but because of the high price ,used ones in good nick will sell ok.Its worth bearing in mind plenty of world class shots are using delaro,catellani,randolfs aswell but as i say they will have found the right combination of lenses on range.

Sorry I was not referring to your particular choice of gun when I said "crappy" that was a general quote but still holds I don't see why anybody should not shoot an expensive gun.. even if they are not a great shot... thank god ! So that was not aimed at you or your choice gun.

Defensive... no I don' think so at all. You have stated for what ever reason  " unfortunately we all know ... "   I asked why used the term "unfortunately" pity or envy...  I cannot think why you think it unfortunate to know someone who shoots with good shooting gear.

I am no great shot but I have shot a lot of big competitions around and about... the last thing on my mind what the guy next to me on the line is using to break his targets

You know what though about being defensive??  Read your own reply... that has to be some of the most defensive stuff  have read.

If you think a 525 is a crappy gun though, then I can't do anything about that,
If the B525 is a crappy gun, someone ought to tell Sam Green as he shoots basically the same gun. Also better tell the 100’s of thousands who bout one and shot 100’s of thousands of cartridges through them without issue. 

Browning give a 10 year warranty on the action. A manufacturer doesn’t do that without confidence in what they design and make.

Im quite certain George Digweed would shoot better with a 30 year old B425 and Vaseline coated Raybans than I would with his Perazzi and Pillas.

A shotgun is some tubes to make it easier to through lead balls at a flying soup bowl. Lock times, trigger pulls, and the like aren’t nearly as important the chap/chapess who’s pointing said shotgun. And I say this with utter conviction as a near total novice based on experience of many many mechanical device interactions, from lathes, to cars and aeroplanes to pliers, screwdrivers,  rifles and even a few shotguns

If the B525 is a crappy gun, someone ought to tell Sam Green as he shoots basically the same gun. Also better tell the 100’s of thousands who bout one and shot 100’s of thousands of cartridges through them without issue. 

Browning give a 10 year warranty on the action. A manufacturer doesn’t do that without confidence in what they design and make.

Im quite certain George Digweed would shoot better with a 30 year old B425 and Vaseline coated Raybans than I would with his Perazzi and Pillas.

A shotgun is some tubes to make it easier to through lead balls at a flying soup bowl. Lock times, trigger pulls, and the like aren’t nearly as important the chap/chapess who’s pointing said shotgun. And I say this with utter conviction as a near total novice based on experience of many many mechanical device interactions, from lathes, to cars and aeroplanes to pliers, screwdrivers,  rifles and even a few shotguns
Jesus this has taken arms and legs!

I have a Browning FFS an ULTRA XTR... which I do not use... not because it is a bad or crappy gun but because it is not as good as the gun I choose to use... in my opinion.

This is not about what someone uses or does not use the heart of the matter is a statement below

Not as posey as the pricey brands though, so that will put some off if they're that way inclined. Unfortunately, I think we all know people who have all the gear and little idea.
Which I questioned the poster about the wording " unfortunately" was this down to pity or envy of the gear that they use. I know loads of shooters who use very expensive gear, and they are not all great shooters... do I view the fact that I know them as " unfortunate" ? No not at all they are my friends and I do not have any real interest in what they use to break their targets that is their business although I do know quality. But for any sake save me the trouble of telling me that money spent on something that may be a bit more expensive but is a joy to use is money badly spent. If there was a standard set to which a shooter had to comply before getting a quality gun the manufacturer's would be out of business. In short if expensive shooting gear being used by less than able shots offends you don't go onto a shooting ground full stop!

@jwpzx9r Err, I hope I haven’t offended you as that was most definitely not my intention. Neither do I disagree with your opinion about the merits of a quality product. I’m sure we all understand only to well that the gun, good, bad, great or indifferent makes at best very little difference to the outcome, but totally agree with you that it could make a huge difference in enjoyment. To that end, if one is enjoying themselves, they’re are likely to shoot better, but still, that’s a reflection of the individual more than a reflection on the iron or woodwork.

For what it’s worth, I recently ordered a B525 and a F16. Neither particularly “special” and to be perfectly honest I like different things about each of them, but for sure the Blaser feels a more ‘quality’ gun, but as has been said before, that’s very subjective.

its often claimed that “hand made” equals better and that the human hand can do things machines cannot. That is simply folklore and marketing. The reality is, computer controlled machinery in the hands of the knowledgeable will make better products. 

Of course there are those that would celebrate the “imperfections “ of hand made, claiming some kind of magical  soulful  aura is bestowed upon the product and subsequently its owner.

we are each entitled to our own notions and those aren’t bound by science of the rigours of logic. They are from the heart and long may it continue 

respectfully yours

Lloyd

Which I questioned the poster about the wording " unfortunately" was this down to pity or envy of the gear that they use. I know loads of shooters who use very expensive gear, and they are not all great shooters... do I view the fact that I know them as " unfortunate" ? No not at all they are my friends and I do not have any real interest in what they use to break their targets that is their business although I do know quality. But for any sake save me the trouble of telling me that money spent on something that may be a bit more expensive but is a joy to use is money badly spent. If there was a standard set to which a shooter had to comply before getting a quality gun the manufacturer's would be out of business. In short if expensive shooting gear being used by less than able shots offends you don't go onto a shooting ground full stop!
Anchorman.jpg

Nope, sorry, you've obviously completely misunderstood where I'm coming from and just gotten very defensive and angry in the process whereas all I was trying to do was give an alternative viewpoint and an opinion as others had done before me on this thread. Genuine apologies if that's how my comments have made you feel, but I'm not sure how much that is down to me?

I've obviously not worded it correctly for you, but all I've been trying to say is that I find it unfortunate that some people choose equipment based on name because it's what you're apparently MEANT to use when it also happens to be very expensive, as opposed to either going for what they can afford, which is probably completely adequate and enjoyable to use, OR your point that they like good quality equiment which again is enjoyable. Like buying a Ferrari over a Skoda cos they're meant to be the nuts without finding out if they are even suited to you. I did say " that will put some off if they're that way inclined" as well as " I don't see the point in spending more to get what I already have" and "some are lured by fools gold for the sake of it", so can't say it many other ways I'm afraid. 😟

Give me a Perazzi and a sub £2k gun with no markings, or 5 random guns on a blind test, and I doubt I'll tell much difference in either scenario, but I know what I will enjoy shooting with, and that's the one I will choose to buy, regardless. I was saying I happen to be lucky in that I love my cheapy gun, but that doesn't mean it's right for everyone.

At no point did I say anything was money badly spent (your quote), I was pointing out that in my own experience, I've tried a £70 pair of glasses which to me does everything that the £650 pilla do, so was trying to suggest that they might be worth a google and see if they're down your strasse. I dunno, if you like them, that's more cash to spend on cartridges? If they're not, and you plump for some Outlaw X7 or whatever, I'm not even going to recognise them if you're standing next to me, so why would I be bothered? Likewise, I'm unlikely to recognise if your gun is 5 or 10 times more expensive than mine; when I'm at the ranges I'm only concerned with encouraging those I shoot with to shoot well when it's their go and enjoying likeminded company before going to the pub after.

But thanks for suggesting I shouldn't set foot on a shooting ground as a whole because you misunderstood what I was saying instead of trying to clarify it. 😕

No offence taken... and why should I ? You have given your opinion, I respect that. 
But not mine, which is kind of my point. Like you said, it's only a opinion, why should it bother you? I only want respect off those I respect in turn, but having a go over a misunderstanding is not cool. To be honest, your comments are a little bit depressing for me so I'm not going to comment on this thread any further, seems fairly pointless, you appear to have made your mind up on what I'm thinking.

Last edited by a moderator:
For the OP, I have used Oakley M Frames, Prescription Zeiss & Pillas, all are perfectly usable, out of the three I found the Pillas (when wearing contact lenses) gave me a clarity of vision that appeared to be "better" than the former two, the M frames did have a tendency to mist at times, advancing age and diminishing eyesight saw me ditch the contact & splurge on some prescription Pillas, now these for me are worth every penny I spent on them.

All Pillas are though a meaty investment Id suggest that, if possible borrowing a pair to shoot a few targets through before parting with any cash. 

Oh am also a P shooter, what a wonderful piece of gunmakers art it is, will be with me until, well you get drift.

I’ve been using an original Oakley Pro M Frame “shooting  specific array “ for nearly 20 years now  . The three lens set was about £150  in the U.K. at the time ( I bought mine on a US holiday ) I’ve also acquired a number of extra lenses over the years.  Not a bad investment to cover up the £3000 worth of LASIK eye surgery 😂

But factor that£150  up  to today’s price and the Pilla glasses price doesn’t look too silly .  

To pick up on Doug’s point , at one time Oakley used photos of the M Frame lenses after  bring walloped at 20 yards with a 12 bore . Safety is critically important in shooting eyewear .   It’s all about probability and consequences,. There is a low probability of shot or clay injury on a clay shoot, but  very high consequence, therefore it’s  sensible to have a method to mitigate  , and that’s suitable eyewear . I adopt that policy to hearing protection as well.  I  even wear eye protection when game shooting  because  in my humble opinion , the probability of an incident is even higher .  

WRT to the OP ,  I tend to look at quality gear as an investment. So if I popped £600 on a set of Pilla . Say amortise over 10 years , 80 outings a year  , that’s £0.75  per use . Put into perspective , I pay pay £3.50 a time for a sausage sandwich !  

I think I’ve just talked myself into an upgrade 😎

I was shooting the high tower challenge at sporting targets this year while the for the jack Pyke. I was wearing shooting glasses (pilla prescription) and baseball cap. 

While in the first hoop on the first layout I had a pellet from a stand on the opposite side of the ground come through the gap in between the peak of my cap and my glasses and hit me just above the eyebrow. The impact was great enough that I had to turn away and put the gun down and check for bleeding. It had not broken the skin but had left a distinct red mark followed by a bruise. If it had been an inch lower it would have been full in the lense. Would normal glasses have coped with the impact, not sure but I wouldn't want to risk it. With no glasses at all, certain blindness in that eye.

Strange thing was we never heard any other pellets dropping around us at all, so whether someone was using larger shot than permitted on the other side of the ground or not who knows.

Never think it can't happen to you, the chances of impact are slim, but it does happen, even at the best of grounds. 

View attachment 7870

Nope, sorry, you've obviously completely misunderstood where I'm coming from and just gotten very defensive and angry in the process whereas all I was trying to do was give an alternative viewpoint and an opinion as others had done before me on this thread. Genuine apologies if that's how my comments have made you feel, but I'm not sure how much that is down to me?

I've obviously not worded it correctly for you, but all I've been trying to say is that I find it unfortunate that some people choose equipment based on name because it's what you're apparently MEANT to use when it also happens to be very expensive, as opposed to either going for what they can afford, which is probably completely adequate and enjoyable to use, OR your point that they like good quality equiment which again is enjoyable. Like buying a Ferrari over a Skoda cos they're meant to be the nuts without finding out if they are even suited to you. I did say " that will put some off if they're that way inclined" as well as " I don't see the point in spending more to get what I already have" and "some are lured by fools gold for the sake of it", so can't say it many other ways I'm afraid. 😟

Give me a Perazzi and a sub £2k gun with no markings, or 5 random guns on a blind test, and I doubt I'll tell much difference in either scenario, but I know what I will enjoy shooting with, and that's the one I will choose to buy, regardless. I was saying I happen to be lucky in that I love my cheapy gun, but that doesn't mean it's right for everyone.

At no point did I say anything was money badly spent (your quote), I was pointing out that in my own experience, I've tried a £70 pair of glasses which to me does everything that the £650 pilla do, so was trying to suggest that they might be worth a google and see if they're down your strasse. I dunno, if you like them, that's more cash to spend on cartridges? If they're not, and you plump for some Outlaw X7 or whatever, I'm not even going to recognise them if you're standing next to me, so why would I be bothered? Likewise, I'm unlikely to recognise if your gun is 5 or 10 times more expensive than mine; when I'm at the ranges I'm only concerned with encouraging those I shoot with to shoot well when it's their go and enjoying likeminded company before going to the pub after.

But thanks for suggesting I shouldn't set foot on a shooting ground as a whole because you misunderstood what I was saying instead of trying to clarify it. 😕

But not mine, which is kind of my point. Like you said, it's only a opinion, why should it bother you? I only want respect off those I respect in turn, but having a go over a misunderstanding is not cool. To be honest, your comments are a little bit depressing for me so I'm not going to comment on this thread any further, seems fairly pointless, you appear to have made your mind up on what I'm thinking.
Offfttttt! That is one hell of a lot o waffle to justify the statement below

"Unfortunately, I think we all know people who have all the gear and little idea."

I would have given your opinion respect... if you had actually given one!... Although I actually did thank you for your advice earlier in the thread.

Just to finish off. I have decided that Pilla may well be the standard but I think I will go with the Randolph's. They are considerably cheaper and the lenses which are made by Zeiss  are much cheaper than those from Pilla so if one gets damaged or perhaps another colour takes my fancy it will be less of a hit in the pocket.

Don't finish off just yet ! ! !

I have no idea what kinda extortion fees you may have to pay for an import but I've used Decot glasses for nearly 30yrs now and have never been disappointed.  My wife used one of the less expensive sets for some time before she went prescription and was always happy with the product.  Mine have always been prescrip and using the adjusto Hy-Wyd frame.  So I use and recommend the Decots as at least worth a look  see what I did there?n the gear drift - 

on the gear drift - I'm a hack shooter and that is no secret.  When I was young I had little to nothing cos there was nothing I could afford.  That changed and (within limits of course) I can have most any gun I want and I don't care for a heartbeat if the gear is better than me which of course it all is.  And I laugh at people like me.  BFD ! !  Shooting is not a path to fame and/or fortune for anyone and the history books don't even know it exists.  Get serious - - what you/we are all doing has no impact on the affairs of man or the world in the most minuscule way!  So who cares WTF kinda gun you shoot?

not me

Just to finish off. I have decided that Pilla may well be the standard but I think I will go with the Randolph's. They are considerably cheaper and the lenses which are made by Zeiss  are much cheaper than those from Pilla so if one gets damaged or perhaps another colour takes my fancy it will be less of a hit in the pocket.
Which Randolph frame are you looking at?

Randolph Falcon I have actually seen a set on Ebay which look very good so may give them a bid. There are loads of shooting glasses that come up on Ebay and I have loads of time so I will get something soon... which again shows that you can get good quality stuff cheaper than new prices. I am not too proud to take a good secondhand anything when it comes to shooting when you consider that the price could be 50- 70% of new  :lol:

I got a  3 lens set off eBay. They were mint. Unused. £150. Mrs Jasper got hers off facebook . £250. 3 lens set. As new. Gold .

Be aware of the two frame sizes. 

Jasper.

Jesus this has taken arms and legs!

I have a Browning FFS an ULTRA XTR... which I do not use... not because it is a bad or crappy gun but because it is not as good as the gun I choose to use... in my opinion.
I've got one of those Browning  FFS things too. Each time I miss you can hear " F** F**** S***" ringing around the ground. (Far too often, some will say  !)

I love my Pilla glasses and all my lenses.   I also love my relatively cheap Silver Pigeon as much as I love my DT10 and far more than Mr Hoskin's brand new, made to measure Perazzi SO3!  Incidentally he decided he wanted one, got to a place in his life he could afford one, has no expectations of it making him into some super shot but whilst he has life left in him, he's living it up the way he wants to.  He equally loves his Kemen, his Blaser F3 and his Pogo stick cheap Berreta Semi Automatic which has a once a year outing.  I am not an Emperor rather an Empress and I have been known to loudly declare on the shooting field that I would love to shoot without clothes.  Whatever happened to just appreciating something, wanting it and buying it without thoughts of it making you into an instant success or people assuming your reason for buying something!  Laugh all you like, think me stupid for buying them, I like them.  They do help me and unless you can see through my eyes then don't assume.  This may sound cross it is not, I say it with love and a slight "here we go again, roll my eyes" feeling.

Back