PB at DTL Today

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy S

Wahoo shoot at PB at Bisley Gun Club today of 87/248 in the Saturday Registered comp. Really starting to like DTL now. :fan:

Onwards and upwards to a 25 straight.

Well done on your pb. Beware dtl is highly addictive :) once you get a 25 your on your way then the 50 comes etc etc. Once you get the technique sorted it becomes a mind game. People say dtl is easy but as your finding out it aint...

Well done ! Never tried DTL but they do shoot it over here so must try it sometime. Must be that new shooter Andy!

Cheers everyone.

On the second 50 we had one of the great men of DTL reffing and he provided  quite a few pointers on where I was missing. On my last round of 25 on peg 4 I second barrelled 2 in a row and realised that my hold point was a little low, raised it for the next one which produced the correct result.

Most of the misses where due to me looking at the gun or 50-55yard marker board, christ knows why I do that mainly on peg 3, just as I call pull and the clay gets the jump on me.

Well done on your pb. Beware dtl is highly addictive :) once you get a 25 your on your way then the 50 comes etc etc. Once you get the technique sorted it becomes a mind game. People say dtl is easy but as your finding out it aint...
 Hah!!!! It nearly drove me insane Ian! As far as I'm concerned you need nerves of steel to shoot DTL, yes it really is a total mind game and just one single second tube and you can be out of the running!

I am warning you again gentlemen... DTL is highly addictive, at first you strive for a 25 with however many second barrels then you want 25 all 1st barrels then the fun really begins as you work your way up to a 50 a 75 and then the biggy a 100.

But ....... just when you think you have made it you then start chasing the elusive 100-300 which some top DTL shooters do regularily and make it look so easy.

But................... contrary to popular belief it aint that easy after all. I have been shooting DTL on and off for 28yrs and have done quite a few 100 but never got further than a 100-295 :(

So be warned a bit of DTL will make you want more and more and like a bunny boiling mistress will probably never let you go :)

ips,

I know what you mean as on Saturday I entered the reg comp at Bisley and shot a 85 - 240, it must be addictive as I was annoyed with myself for only hitting a 19 on one layout. Hit a 23 on one of the others with 22 and 21 on the rest.

Did a bit well quite abit in the end of reffing on Sunday at Bisley and there was only one 100 straight on the day and that was a 100-296 even saw young Matthew Coward-Holley shoot and miss one completely, bit of a shock to have to call a loss on that one as all of his others were pretty much a ball of smoke with the first barrel.

Simon,

We can meet up again at Bisley either BGC or NCSC and we can shoot a couple of rounds.

Yep its a weird game is DTL me old pal.

The analogy I always use is ..... in all other disciplines your primary objective is to "hit the target" at DTL your primary objective and indeed concern is "not too miss" therefore there can be a degree of negativity before you even start this I believe is why DTL is so hard to master. But adopt the correct stance, gun hold, focus point and you can soon get those 25's rolling on.

Yep its a weird game is DTL me old pal.

The analogy I always use is ..... in all other disciplines your primary objective is to "hit the target" at DTL your primary objective and indeed concern is "not too miss" therefore there can be a degree of negativity before you even start this I believe is why DTL is so hard to master. But adopt the correct stance, gun hold, focus point and you can soon get those 25's rolling on.
Who'd have thought that hitting a single clay which is starting from 16 yards in front of you and then only travels out to 50 - 55 yards at a fixed height would be so difficult to hit 25 time in a row on each round. :fie: :fie:

Exactly.

Get the aforementioned principles nailed then its a case of concentration throughout the round of 25 and a contained smooth swing ending with a committed shot. Pre shot routine and gun mount must IMO be as simple as possible there is no place for anything complex or extravagant in dtl as the more you do the more that can go wrong. If you watch any of the truly top and consistent dtl shots you will see what i mean.

Hah!!!! It nearly drove me insane Ian! As far as I'm concerned you need nerves of steel to shoot DTL, yes it really is a total mind game and just one single second tube and you can be out of the running!
i know what you mean les, it has and still does drive me mad i mean how on earth do you miss any of them ? If you have an addictive or obsessive personality stay away from dtl as you will not be able to leave it alone until you have attained the perfect round. The 99-292 i shot the other week was not the best score i have ever done but probably the smoothest i have ever shot dtl, if ever there was a day when a 300 was for the taking that was it however in usual ips manner i bottled it. Thing is i think its come back to haunt me as i now want more :)

Back