One for the oldies!

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Les53

Ok guys, one for the oldies left on here! Does anyone still remember the Ganton vests that many of us wore in the 80’s -90’s ? Anyone still wearing one? This was before the likes of Castellani hit our shores. 
I think Barbour bought them out and then they vanished. 
For me they were the only vest worth having, it didn’t matter if you shot trap, skeet or sporting. Ganton was the vest to have! 
Anyone else remember them ? 

Yes I used to have a Ganton vest, I still have a like new Chimere shooting jacket, nylon with leather on the front, made in Florida.

My wife still has her grey Ganton vest from the 80's, it'll still fit her. Unlike mine which seemed to have shrunk in the wash rather a lot when I last tried it on, so gave it away.

My wife still has her grey Ganton vest from the 80's, it'll still fit her. Unlike mine which seemed to have shrunk in the wash rather a lot when I last tried it on, so gave it away.
Blimey Phil, yeah my vest used to shrink all the time too! 😂

Yes I used to have a Ganton vest, I still have a like new Chimere shooting jacket, nylon with leather on the front, made in Florida.
Chimere are also no more. I have an NSCA referees skeet vest several years old and really well made.

I will mention one more defunct maker, David Ripper of Macclesfield. I still wear my 25 year old shooting vest I got from there.

I have noted on a few of the Castellani vests the FITASC line is too high, and had to re- mark during a competition.

Regards

Leigh

Last edited by a moderator:
Express cartridges skeet vest and Beaver of Bolton (the original) moleskin vest for winter use. Plus, of course various Bob Allen mesh style vests.

Here you go . You could have them made to measure if you wanted to and customised too.
That looks totally cool and very like the the two Beretta vests I got a couple years ago - that I really like a lot.  The only problem with the Beretta is that they keep changing the design!  I was interested in a Castellani before I got the Berettas but was baffled as to what justified the price.

Mrs Jega reckons i look like a tramp when i go shooting in my old vest  ,got a few in the cupboard from here and there, but i keep using one i bought about 20 years ago and yes it's showing it's age that's where the grumbles come in when i ask her to patch it up " i'll get you a new one for Christmas /Birthday etc " nope its just so comfortable anything else just doesn't feel right .

Which company will stay in business longer?

Company 1 - vest lasts more than 25 years (shouldn’t shrink of course😉)
Company 2 - vest lasts maximum 5 years

Most companies are not rewarded for making high quality products that will last a lifetime.
Nowadays a lot of of people are looking more at purchase price than at quality.

This is a pity for the people that appreciate very high quality.

Remember them well a friend has a ganton leather one must be close to 40 years old and still looks very good I am afraid mine was damaged but I do have Browning one made by Ganton but seems to have shrunk although never been washed or worn bought on a whim of a sale rail years ago fitted me then .

Recently sold a Barbour leather vest that I bought 25 years ago, I guy from the US bought it on eBay for more than I paid for it !

Nope don't remember them and I been (or rather was) on the scene since 86

Latest posts

Back